Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default Dew claw removal

I looked around a bit, but couldn't find much about the removal of dew claws. I was wondering what everyone's opinons where about the removle of the dew claw on dogs?

I don't know much about this so I don't have much of an opinion yet. Although I have heard about dogs getting their dew claws stuck in things and getting the nail ripped off. Chloe doesn't have dew claws and Lucas does. Lucas has never yet got it caught in anything so I don't see much validity in that statement yet.

So what do you guys think? Is it just an unescesary surgery? or a nescesary one? and why?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Felurian

This older thread might help you, BabyB http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Playful Husky Pup

I don't know too much about it I don't think its all that important. My Aunt and Uncle own two dogs (funny because they hate my dogs and my lifestyle) one named Decker is a Aussie Cattle Dog/Something else mix and he still has his Dew Claws and is prefectly fine before we used to call them hawk claws lol.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 05-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

I had Brady's removed for the reason I described in the thread Renee posted. He had floppy ones that were almost like an extra toe but with no bone and I thought as active as he is that they might get caught on something and torn off. Other than that reason, I don't see any real reason to remove normal looking ones. Brady's just stuck out and were floppy.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I was wondering because when I went to the Humane Society today to volunteer one of the dogs had dew claws on his front and back feet. The other volunteers where all like "What are those?", "I thought most dogs didn't have them anymore?", and "One mentioned them geting stuck in things and All responsible breeders remove the dew claws.
So I was wondering if it was really important.

Hey pits do you remove the dew claws? Or do you leave them? Or do your dogs even have them?

Oh and Renee thanks for the link. I looked through the first few pages, but didn't see anything on dew claws. That really helped. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:38 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Shaffer has them..if he was a few days old i would have them removed, but at this age..it isn't necessary. If he ran like Victor does then i would..vic gets his feet in enough trouble as it is..he has already torn a huge chunk out of one pad and run a stob thru the skin on the side of his foot/leg.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Depends on the type if there like what bogo said yes they go. Most huskies they don't even get them but usually if they do have them we just leave them. I havent had a problem yet.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 05-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Ok, so only if they are floppy and stick out do they get removed. Otherwise it's pretty pointless. I got it thanks.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Felurian

Check the link again. It must not have transferred properly for you. I just checked it and the entire thread is about dew claws and the pros and cons of having them removed or leaving them.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Check the link again. It must not have transferred properly for you. I just checked it and the entire thread is about dew claws and the pros and cons of having them removed or leaving them.
I read through the entire thing. I saw the cons, but only if they stuck out and were all floppy with no bone did I see a pro for removing them. I didn't see any other pro's except that. Was there more that I didn't get or something?