Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 04-30-2007, 12:23 PM
I run with scissors

Default To shave or not to shave...and how to shave

It was 80 degrees here yesterday and poor Charlie was sooooo hot. He has the most beautiful coat ever and it makes me sick to think of shaving it but I think I'm going to have to. It is only going to get hotter this summer. I can leave him inside with the air conditioning but he gets so bored he gets destructive if he can't go out and play for a few hours a day. Anybody have any tips on how to cool this poor guy off and not make him look stupid? If you have read some of my previous posts, you know I can't take him to the groomer so I'll have to do it myself. Any advice is appreciated! Here's what he looks like now:

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

he should be able to handle heat fine!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I run with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsarebetter View Post
he should be able to handle heat fine!
You really think so? He acted like he was just dying yesterday after about 1/2 hour of running around outside in the sun. He was panting really hard, drooling (and he's not a drooler typically) and lying in the shade on the concrete to cool off. I've thought of getting him a baby pool to play in but I know he'll just chew it up immediately.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Bored Now.

How about an in-ground medium-size coy pond? They're between $50 and $100 dollars (or more, I guess... depending upon where you buy) and I've seen huge ones as well. You have to dig it in, so it's a bit of work, but with some rocks or soemthing around the edge there's NO WAY he could chew on it. How often do you groom him? Just curious... And is there a possibility that you could thin out his fur or something?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 PM
I run with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
How about an in-ground medium-size coy pond? They're between $50 and $100 dollars (or more, I guess... depending upon where you buy) and I've seen huge ones as well. You have to dig it in, so it's a bit of work, but with some rocks or soemthing around the edge there's NO WAY he could chew on it. How often do you groom him? Just curious... And is there a possibility that you could thin out his fur or something?
I thought about a little pond but I really don't have a good place for one, where it wouldn't be in the sun boiling for most of the day, and honestly, I don't want to deal with trying to keep one clean. A baby pool I could just dump it when it gets nasty. I don't know about thinning out his coat. GSDs have that undercoat that I would think would make that really difficult. ?????

Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Active Pup

is their no way you can get him to a groomer? or even have a mobile come to your house? We get alot of long hair dogs in and when we DO have to shave them the owners always regret it, We will do everything we can to avoid shaving because it does lose some protection from the sun. We use a high velocity blaster which gets right down in the coat and blows away all the dead hair, I do this on my lab and shes always alot cooler during the summer.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I run with scissors

It's not that I can't get him to a groomer, it's that no groomer can do anything with him because he's so crazy. I've tried, and I end up paying for a grooming that was never done because they can't handle him. I've been working with him on it for a while now and he's getting a bit better, but it's still not really an option.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Active Pup

oh ok! maybe invest in a home blaster and see if he will allow you to blast him outside or maybe a furminator? You will need to ask others for their opinion on this tool as I've never used it.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Happy

My dog hates the heat, and her favorite game in the summer is 'attack the hose' wherin I squirt the garden hose over the lawn and she races around the yard, coming in regularly to run through the water or bite the stream. It's a lot easier with one of those adjustable nozzles, by the way. Exercises her, gets her soaking wet, and makes me laugh uncontrollably.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:55 PM
I run with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca1 View Post
My dog hates the heat, and her favorite game in the summer is 'attack the hose' wherin I squirt the garden hose over the lawn and she races around the yard, coming in regularly to run through the water or bite the stream. It's a lot easier with one of those adjustable nozzles, by the way. Exercises her, gets her soaking wet, and makes me laugh uncontrollably.
That's hilarious, BECAUSE I spent most of Saturday underneath my house, replacing my faucet so that I could do exactly that! (It froze and broke over the winter) Charlie went nuts when I sprayed him!