Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 03-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
The reason for that most of the time is because a reporter asks someone what kind of dog it was and they say it was pitbull. Ever looked at how many 'pitbulls' there are in pounds? Apparently TONS. Anything with a bully looked is labeled pitbull. Reporters report what there sources say and if their sources say it was a pitbull that's what they report. Yes there are many forms of media that blow that out of proportion but that's how it gets started.

If I am writing a story about a horse at a rodeo and someone tells me it's a quarter horse well that's what I'm going to put in the paper. People need to stop using the media as a scapegoat. Yes it is a big problem and it can/should be handled differently in many, many situations but for the most part that's not where it gets started. Education is key.

I'm sorry but there is no way you can pass a lab (maybe a mix) off as a pitt bull. In this case the media knew that it was a lab and it was a mistake when someone slipped and said something. I do blame the media for a lot of this ban the pitt crap. If there was no publicity no one would know what a pitt was. Yes, the reporters can talk and interview people but its up to their discretion to actually add that factor into the piece. I never listen to people's word of mouth. If I do not see it with my own eyes they its irrelevent to me. There has to be many times where reporters ask what kind of dog attacked and people have said Golden or a Border Collie but they CHOOSE not to add that in the story because they feel it really isn't relevant but as soon as someone says pit bull, there all over that story. Its all a bunch of crap. It does start with the owners of "fighting" pitts but the media drags it out. They could just stop it, nip it in the bud, but they choose not to. They may not cause the pitts to attack but they are not helping the situation. There is no need to stress the Pit Bull factor, no more than theres a need to stress the Lab, Golden, or Collie factor. It is totally irrelevant what breed was involved.

Amstaff: I totally agree with you. 60 people out of millions and millions of people is nothing. And there are so many other things to be worried about then pit bull attacks.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:50 PM
bullie lover

Actually it's more common for someone to die of asthma than by pit bull. 147 deaths/year in Michigan alone.

Hmmmm... consider that factoid.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:08 PM
but please call me Aus.

Quote:
Tonight our news had two teenagers charged for having their pitts fight.... no it wasn't a pitt bull area... just 2 punks fighting their dogs !! Seems if it's not guns , it's poor dogs ! Luckily someone noticed the injuries of both dogs and reported it .
Old 03-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobiegurl
I'm sorry but there is no way you can pass a lab (maybe a mix) off as a pitt bull. .
I think you deeply under estimate the stupidity of some people. My brother had a yellow lab that was about 90lbs and muscled. Several people in the area would ask him about his "Pitbull". His lab had papers and was definately not a mix.

To you and I (and 99% of the people on this board) the difference is obivous but some people really don't know the difference. Do some media people say Pit Bull to juice up a story...Heck ya but some people are truly ignorance to dog breeds.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer
I think you deeply under estimate the stupidity of some people. My brother had a yellow lab that was about 90lbs and muscled. Several people in the area would ask him about his "Pitbull". His lab had papers and was definately not a mix.

To you and I (and 99% of the people on this board) the difference is obivous but some people really don't know the difference. Do some media people say Pit Bull to juice up a story...Heck ya but some people are truly ignorance to dog breeds.

I understand that people are not familiar with their dog breeds but if a dog attacks they assume it was a pit bull because apparently thats the only breed that bites (hope you sense my sarcasism). If the breed is unfamiliar to you, you shouldn't just say, "oh it had to have been a pitt" and not really know what type of dog it is. If you are not positive what type of breed (which is really irrelevant in the situation) then just say unknown. Assuming it was a Pitt is just like assuming a black guy stole your car. No one was for sure who stole the car but assumed he was black. The breed has no revelance in the attack because all dogs are individuals.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
The breed has no revelance in the attack because all dogs are individuals.
I have never read a more true statement!!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer
I have never read a more true statement!!

I can't stand when people stereotype things. Everyone is different from another person. Its like against the law to discriminate against a certain race for example,but you can disctimininate against dogs. My definition for the government is controdiction. They say one thing then turn around and say something else. If they want no discrimination they cannot discriminate against ANYTHING. If they want the prejudice in this world to stop, they need to stop. It is not ok to discriminate against one thing but forbid it for something else.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Top Dog

I am not racist about humans or dogs.... it's all about statistics....
I know so many good white, black, asian, etc.... pit bull, rotts, dobes...etc..

And, unfort. I had to come across the bad ones too...

But it is the people who make the difference, in any case.

I am not about to make this a political stance, but I am white and just had to rescue 2 dogs from a white trash trailor family.... it comes in all colors and breeds...
Old 03-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalbiz
I am not racist about humans or dogs.... it's all about statistics....
I know so many good white, black, asian, etc.... pit bull, rotts, dobes...etc..

And, unfort. I had to come across the bad ones too...

But it is the people who make the difference, in any case.

I am not about to make this a political stance, but I am white and just had to rescue 2 dogs from a white trash trailor family.... it comes in all colors and breeds...

Just because statictics say you are more likely to get robbed by a black man than a white man (just an example) would you feel ALL black males are bad. Statictics is taking one gorup of things and comparing it to another. I'm just saying that just because its a pitt does not make it bad. There are so many dogs with different personalities and cannot be put into one group.

I've noticed the bad always takes over. Because of all the "bad" pitts who attack you rarely hear about good pitt bull stories, so the public gets the idea that all pitts are bad. Like with me when I was younger, my brother used to get in trouble alot and if I did something good it was rarely recognized because my mother always had to deal with his behavior problems.

I do not agree with the statictics and believe that they are greatly flawed. Statictics were made to show percentages and the pitt bull stats does not say that 100% of pitts are bad. If it did say that then I could understand the want to ban pitts but its not 100%, I don't think any stats can gurantee 100% of what they are promoting. All the dogs are individuals and should not be seen as one category instead of as individuals.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Island dweller

Quote:
I'm sorry but there is no way you can pass a lab (maybe a mix) off as a pitt bull. In this case the media knew that it was a lab and it was a mistake when someone slipped and said something. I do blame the media for a lot of this ban the pitt crap. If there was no publicity no one would know what a pitt was. Yes, the reporters can talk and interview people but its up to their discretion to actually add that factor into the piece. I never listen to people's word of mouth. If I do not see it with my own eyes they its irrelevent to me. There has to be many times where reporters ask what kind of dog attacked and people have said Golden or a Border Collie but they CHOOSE not to add that in the story because they feel it really isn't relevant but as soon as someone says pit bull, there all over that story. Its all a bunch of crap. It does start with the owners of "fighting" pitts but the media drags it out. They could just stop it, nip it in the bud, but they choose not to. They may not cause the pitts to attack but they are not helping the situation. There is no need to stress the Pit Bull factor, no more than theres a need to stress the Lab, Golden, or Collie factor. It is totally irrelevant what breed was involved.
Obviously you don't understand the media at all. And even if you disagree with what I said before you can't deny the fact that that's what sells. That's what people want to see/read. Put the blame where it needs to be - on irresponsible people.