Pit Bull Pamphlet!

boomerfan

Did you guys know in Morrow Co. Ohio People are training pits to fight.
My mom told me people are going around her town looking for dogs that look sweet and friendly and the owners not right out with them. They steal them put them on like tread mill things to get them to run then cut them up then release the pitts. What can you do about something like that?

Amstaffer

My mom told me people are going around her town looking for dogs that look sweet and friendly and the owners not right out with them. They steal them put them on like tread mill things to get them to run then cut them up then release the pitts. What can you do about something like that?
Call the police if you see any evidence of dog abuse, especially Pit Bulls. Watch for house or farms that are usually really quiet and then all of a sudden has tons of cars and people.

pitbulliest

Darn right its irresponsible ownership- the dog should be properly contained! If it really is an APBT and is aggressive toward you it is NOT typical APBT temperament and should be euthanized if it's usually left to run loose. I would give the owners hell. Sounds harsh- but it is the only plausible solution to these substandard hybrid nightmares these ignorant people have bred poorly and refuse to control. There are ill-bred "pit bulls" who still have good temperaments- if they are owned or adopted by knowledgeable and responsible people that's fine with me, but at this point the entire breed of true APBTs cannot afford to have unstable/aggressive "pit bull" hybrids/mixes/bad seeds running about. NO dog should be allowed to run loose, much less an APBT.
Depending on what she means by aggression. I don't fully understand what "trying to start a fight with me" really means. does it mean jumping against the fence/whatever is still managing to contain the dog, does it mean growling, does it mean barking? Those signals, for example, don't necessarily indicate human aggression...

I wouldn't automatically start hell with the owner either. I would try to find out more about the dog's conditions..and more about the owner in general...perhaps call animal control and state that you are concerned about the dog's conditions..that its left outside all day long, not properly leashed...describe some of the behavior the dog is showing, and let them decide...they're not the most "expert" people either, I know...but personally...I myself wouldn't be comfortable determining whether a dog should or should not be euthanized..I'm not a behaviorist, and alot of times there are tons of under the surface factors that determine why a dog behaves the way it does.

Is the dog chained all day? If so, then that's a possible cause of the dog's behavior..the dog is probably anti social in that case...and may not be human aggressive, but dominant in regards to his/her territory...chained dogs become VERY territorial...but yes, to sum it all up that definately deals with irresponsible ownership. I hate chaining..ugh :mad:

pitbulliest

I have a section about that in my website. Scroll down to "Dog Fighting"..it has some information on how to spot dog fighting, what to do about it, etc:

http://www.pitbullproject.ca/help.htm

Depending on what she means by aggression. I don't fully understand what "trying to start a fight with me" really means. does it mean jumping against the fence/whatever is still managing to contain the dog, does it mean growling, does it mean barking? Those signals, for example, don't necessarily indicate human aggression...

I wouldn't automatically start hell with the owner either. I would try to find out more about the dog's conditions..and more about the owner in general...perhaps call animal control and state that you are concerned about the dog's conditions..that its left outside all day long, not properly leashed...describe some of the behavior the dog is showing, and let them decide...they're not the most "expert" people either, I know...but personally...I myself wouldn't be comfortable determining whether a dog should or should not be euthanized..I'm not a behaviorist, and alot of times there are tons of under the surface factors that determine why a dog behaves the way it does.

Is the dog chained all day? If so, then that's a possible cause of the dog's behavior..the dog is probably anti social in that case...and may not be human aggressive, but dominant in regards to his/her territory...chained dogs become VERY territorial...but yes, to sum it all up that definately deals with irresponsible ownership. I hate chaining..ugh :mad:
Correction on my part- if the dog is running loose and "starting fights" with dogs and people (odd term to describe HA if that's what they mean- I agree with you on that one, Pitbulliest)- then it's your duty to be sure some-doggone-body raises hell somewhere, and fast. If not, while you're sleuthing around trying to spy on the dog's conditions someone's animal or child could be bitten or killed. Nip that stuff in the butt asap. Habitually roaming dogs -especially "pit bulls"- are signal numero uno of pee poor ownership.

If the dog is contained properly and just barking...well as long as the dog appears in good condition healthwise I'd just talk to the owners directly and inquire about the dog...and express concerns about his apparent aggressive nature. He could be barking out of simple excitement. Beware of putting all dogs on chains in an antisocial category. Most pets kept on chains 24/7 -yes- they are most likely not socialized properly, but an excited working dog on a chain who is properly cared for (proper care= food, water, shelter, attention from owner off-chain) may not be what it seems. A dog outside all day isn't necessarily linked to an irresponsible owner, but a dog loose certainly is.

Awesome!!! I used to be really scared of Pitbulls until we found ours and my vet "told me like it was". I would not trade DeeJay in for anything in this whole wide world.

Thanks for the pamphlet.

I have a section about that in my website. Scroll down to "Dog Fighting"..it has some information on how to spot dog fighting, what to do about it, etc:

http://www.pitbullproject.ca/help.htm
Any chance you could take out the part about the treadmills and springpoles? I have one and am waiting on the other to be shipped to me. Those paraphernalia laws are downright scary, because they target anything from breaking sticks to collars. I just hate the idea of innocent people being targetted because they exercise their dogs, and that kind of misinformation can be pervasive. Even though you did qualify it afterwards, I would still take it out. It also weakens the strength of what you wrote by saying "well this may indicate dog fighting, or it may not."

Not trying to be overly critical. Hope it doesn't sound like that.

Miakoda

Any chance you could take out the part about the treadmills and springpoles? I have one and am waiting on the other to be shipped to me. Those paraphernalia laws are downright scary, because they target anything from breaking sticks to collars. I just hate the idea of innocent people being targetted because they exercise their dogs, and that kind of misinformation can be pervasive. Even though you did qualify it afterwards, I would still take it out. It also weakens the strength of what you wrote by saying "well this may indicate dog fighting, or it may not."

Not trying to be overly critical. Hope it doesn't sound like that.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Let's see:

--I own multiple APBTs
--My dogs wear 1 1/2 to 2 inch collars
--They are on chains when more than 2 dogs are out in the yard
--We have a springpole & flirtpole
--We have treadmills (1 slat mill & 1 electric human mill that the dogs also use)
--I've got 4 break sticks
--I've got dogs with scars......from hog hunting & from a few tiffs b/n dogs before they were separated
--I've got 3 dogs with cropped ears
--I've got pedigrees on all my registered dogs & 3 are even framed
--I own many many books about the breed from new books that deal with the general basics of doggy ownership to books like "100 Years of Fighting Breeds", etc.
--As a vet tech & dog owner & horse owner, I do have Penicillan, Dexamethasone, furazone, Hydrogen Peroxide, Nolvasan, syringes with & w/out needles, & even 2 staple guns.

The scary part is that due to people pushing that these items are "proof" that someone is fighting dogs, I could very well be targeted & I am in no way a dog fighter. In fact, I'm a responsible pet owner who uses adequate sized & quality strength collars on my dogs & keep them properly confined (be it in their kennels inside, loose inside, or outside on chains/tie-outs within a fenced yard) at all times. I enjoy various types of exercise with my dogs & utilize a spring pole, flirt, pole, treadmill, weight pull harness & carts, etc. to keep them stimulated, entertained, & happy. I have break sticks in the event of an emergency if 2 dogs get into a fight as this is the quicket & safest way to break them apart. Seeing as some of my dogs are hunting dogs, they have scars....plain & simple. I had 1 dog's ears cropped (which was botched) & acquired 2 dogs that already had their ears done. I have peds because I enjoy knowing their background/history just like anyone with any other breed does. I have so many books because I enjoy reading & love educating myself about the APBT breed. As a certified/registered vet tech, I am qualified to use these medicines & tools to tend to any of my animals when they are injured or ill. I do NOT neglect to bring them to the clinic with me to see a vet, but after a consultation/diagnosis from the vet, I bring my animals home & treat them here. If someone has a problem with that, so be it.

According to many sites with lists like this, I should be reported to the local animal control by my neighbors & then prosecuted as a "dog fighter." And this thoroughly pisses me off. It seems some people are just so **** trigger happy, that they don't mind offering up hundreds of innocent APBT or "pit bull" owners in the hopes they get 1 guilty one. Shame shame.

pitbulliest

before being over critical...just remember that this site is for everyone..not just people that own pit bulls or know a heck of alot about the breed, equipment, whatever... so the reason I put it up there..is because I personally feel its better for someone to call the police, for example, if they suspect a dog fighter, rather than ruling everything out because breaking sticks or treadmills couldn't possibly point to dog fighting...if someone sees a treadmill...they won't be calling the police saying oh, its dog fighting...most people can add one and one together...but if someone sees battered up dogs...multiple dogs tied in a backyard...with scratches and scars....and then there's a treadmill..well..there's more evidence than not...I hope I'm making myself clear.

Do you see what I mean? If someone is innocent..then they will be innocent and they really have nothing to worry about..but if they are not, wouldn't you rather have someone read the information and be more cautious rather than ruling everything out?

Just trying to justify my point....as I know people that do own treadmills and breaking sticks..see nothing wrong with them..but as was posted.. they may point to dog fighting, but of course they may not. To NOT post them on the site as part of the list would also be unfair..don't you agree?

Miakoda

before being over critical...just remember that this site is for everyone..not just people that own pit bulls or know a heck of alot about the breed, equipment, whatever... so the reason I put it up there..is because I personally feel its better for someone to call the police, for example, if they suspect a dog fighter, rather than ruling everything out because breaking sticks or treadmills couldn't possibly point to dog fighting...if someone sees a treadmill...they won't be calling the police saying oh, its dog fighting...most people can add one and one together...but if someone sees battered up dogs...multiple dogs tied in a backyard...with scratches and scars....and then there's a treadmill..well..there's more evidence than not...I hope I'm making myself clear.

Do you see what I mean? If someone is innocent..then they will be innocent and they really have nothing to worry about..but if they are not, wouldn't you rather have someone read the information and be more cautious rather than ruling everything out?

Just trying to justify my point....as I know people that do own treadmills and breaking sticks..see nothing wrong with them..but as was posted.. they may point to dog fighting, but of course they may not. To NOT post them on the site as part of the list would also be unfair..don't you agree?

I grasp what you are saying, but I do not agree that I should have to be publicly humaliated in front of my neighbors when cop cars blockade my house, detain me & possibly my husband, while ransacking my house & taking my dogs in for "thorough investigation" by some uneducated imbecile that calls themself an expert. I don't believe that I should have to be labeled "guilty" & then have to prove my innocence all because I own "dogfighting paraphenalia" & own multiple dogs. There's a lot more to being a "dogfighter" than this. If someone added up all the things I listed, then I'd be a for sure "dogfighter" according to those rules, but like I said, that's the farthest thing from the truth & I would NOT appreciated having AC & the police called on me by every nosey neighbor thinking they know it all. But that's my opinion.

Yes and no. Innocent doesn't necessarily mean you come away unscathed. In the Floyd Boudreaux case, as far as I know, his case still hasn't even gone to trial yet. But his dogs were dead within, what, a week? Two? I'm no FB, but that makes me wholly nervous. Whether he's innocent or not, he's already paid the price.

If you want to have the most impact, you should point to things which are almost certain to indicate a dog fighter and leave out the fluff. More and more pet owners are buying treadmills, hanging springpoles, investing in breaking sticks and the like. And its counter-productive to have people trying to educate about the sense and benefits to owning such equipment, while there are other sites which suggest that such are the tools of the dog fighter. Do you know what I mean?

I just feel that if you are going to try and educate people on an important topic like this, you shouldn't include things that would cause an innocent owner to possibly get fingered. You would hope that people would put two and two together, but in reality, do they? Is there any reason to believe they wouldn't look for any one of those items if they wanted to raise trouble for their neighbor? While I respect the message that you're trying to get across, and I know the site is for everybody, think like a Pit Bull owner. ;) Do you want to even be looked at cross-eyed for hanging a springpole? Or playing flirtpole or tug with your dog in the yard? I don't. Its like saying one should suspect a Labrador owner who owns tennis balls.

Mia just made me think of all the things I've got on hand that could get me in a world of poop. And ya know, 3 years ago, I wouldn't have had most of it. But some of those veterinary products can be a life-saver when you're poor. I give my own vaccinations and wormings, and have things like vetwrap, Rimadyl, Clavamox, etc around for those lovely emergencies.

Amstaffer

Pitbulliest.... I think your website is fine. If you have all those characteristics it doesn't mean you are a dog fighter, it just means you are likely to be a dogfighter or involved in breeding and training fighting dogs.

I used to be a Probation and Parole officer and when we did raids on homes and we found scales, lots of baggies, lots of guns and cash we most often found out after that the person was involved in selling drugs.....not everytime but the vast majority of the time the "signs" were right.

pitbulliest

"The presence of treadmills and springpoles (although this equipment may not necessarily indicate that it is used for dog fighting, as treadmills and springpoles are also used to condition dogs for weight pulling competitions or simply for exercise)."

By the way, thats quoted from my site in the list ^
looking at it again, I think I'll leave it for now because to be honest..I've been fair in explaining the other side of the story...

I do however, appreciate your guys' imput. When I'm doing some updates, perhaps I'll work on rewording it a bit more to make the point even clearer.

Thanx

Sorry, that is one of the more dangerously naive statements I hear made. Puts a lot of innocent people behind bars . . . And the police and regular animal control are generally pathetically unqualified to make decisions on who is and who isn't fighting dogs. That kind of knee-jerk alarmism is going to get some innocent dogs killed and some worthy, loving dog owners harrassed, labeled and ruined.

pitbulliest

Aside from what you just quoted from my other post,

Did you read what the point that is being questioned on my website actually says?

Again, here it is *sighs*:

"The presence of treadmills and springpoles (although this equipment may not necessarily indicate that it is used for dog fighting, as treadmills and springpoles are also used to condition dogs for weight pulling competitions or simply for exercise)."

I don't know where you live..but here..its impossible to make local authorities even remotely care about dog fighting issues...to actually see a dog fighter in court being punished for the actual crime he did is a rarity...the most they get is a slap on the wrist...perhaps the police and AC actually give a rat's ass where you live...lucky...

I think its unfair to say that a point on my list that's evidently backed up with a "BUT" statement will get someone's dogs killed and some innocent soul put into jail is a little far fetched and unfair, don't you think? :confused:

Miakoda

Pitbulliest.... I think your website is fine. If you have all those characteristics it doesn't mean you are a dog fighter, it just means you are likely to be a dogfighter or involved in breeding and training fighting dogs.
I used to be a Probation and Parole officer and when we did raids on homes and we found scales, lots of baggies, lots of guns and cash we most often found out after that the person was involved in selling drugs.....not everytime but the vast majority of the time the "signs" were right.
:yikes: So now I'm not a dogfighter, but I'm just likely to be a dogfighter or involved in the breeding & training of fighting dogs?

Oh what a scary day............................:cool:

Miakoda

By the way, thats quoted from my site in the list ^
looking at it again, I think I'll leave it for now because to be honest..I've been fair in explaining the other side of the story...

I do however, appreciate your guys' imput. When I'm doing some updates, perhaps I'll work on rewording it a bit more to make the point even clearer.

Thanx
I respect what you are trying to do & I think you have a good heart for doing it. I just think that making lists like that are counterproductive & harm the innocent & ruin their families vs. actually leading to the indictment of dogfighters.

Members online

No members online now.