Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 AM
Azucenda

Default Thank you!!!

I have to say thanks for working so hard on educating people on pits. I was recently doing a search for APBT's (sometimes I just like to look at the pictures and remember our pitbull, Gotti), and you have no idea how many chat threads come up talking about how pitbull's were "inherantly evil" and "couldn't be trusted around anyone". I just can't stand people who don't take the time to educate themselves about this wonderful breed.
Gotti was the sweetest and most devoted dog I have ever known. He had no problems with new people, other dogs, or children. He died last year due to (we believe) ingesting something like bleach. Where he got it, or who gave it to him, we'll never know. So THANK YOU for all of your hard work!!!!

RIP Gotti...
Old 08-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Show Dog

this is a very good post. I knew NOTHING about pitbulls other than the stories I always here (which of course as you can guess aren't the good ones). I have always believed that the owners are almost always responsible if a dog turns aggresive, and that it's usually their fault, not the dogs. I did always think that there are certain breeds of dogs that will turn aggressive more quickly than others. I have enjoyed reading this post because it has taught me a lot of stuff I never knew. One thing I have always wondered and I hope you pitbull owners aren't offended by me asking this because i'm just asking coz i'm seriously interested in knowing. What made you choose a pitbull? When you were getting a dog how come out of all breeds you chose the pitbull? I hope some of you will answer coz I would like to learn more about these dogs

Thanks to Keyodie!
Old 09-10-2005, 12:04 AM
rottiegirl

Exclamation statistics

I have done some research on fatal dog attacks. The united states humane society did their own research from 1979 to 1996 on the breeds who killed the most people. between that time frame 60 people were killed by pit bulls, 29 from rotties, 19 from GSD, 14 from huskies, 12 from alaskan malamutes, 8 from dobermans, 8 from chow chows, 6 from great danes, 4 from st. bernards, and 4 from akitas. The top mixed breed dog who killed the most people was the wolf hybrid fallowed by the pit bull mix's. As you can see, there is good reason why pit bulls have been banned. I have also read other documents and the pit bull is always number one. Due to bad breeders.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:09 AM
rottiegirl

It is sad that breeders have made the pit bull into dangerous animals. While other breeders are responsible and helping the breeds temperment. There are also too many irresponsible owners that dont purchase their pits from good breeders.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Active Pup

Default i totally agree

i have a pit/lab mix and i get alot of people saying "oh, good thing he's half lab", or just a dirty look, and he is only HALF pitbull! he is only 6 months now and he has the expected hyperactivity of the lab and overall teenage defiance of pitbulls and large breeds in general. but overall he is a lover, friendly towards children, cats, other dogs, etc. never shown any sign of being vicious. people need to understand that fighting them was a popular sport with a certain crowd of people at a certain time. it was popular enough for the owners and breeders who fought them to have an impact on the temperment of alot of champion lines thus the breed in general. also that macho status that came with owning them appealed to "macho" people, many of which trained or neglect enough to make it vicious furthering the bad reputation. the only difference between a pitbull and another dog is the tendency to be more dog aggressive but that can be fixed with proper socialization and also the fact that pitbulls have greater potential to cause extensive damage or death when attacking because of their physical build, muscular jaws, and weight distribution. its really no wonder why they are now a popular breed, besides the mentioned fact, that they were used as fight dogs, and originally used as working dogs on farms with large cattle and bulls hence their loyalty, determination, stubborness, and dedication to whichever task they were shown how to do...including loving their family and friends! all of this has been mentioned, but i like everyone else had to throw my two cents in and agree with the first comments posted.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Imagination ROCKS.

wow, i learnt alot!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Active Pup

Old 12-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

Exclamation *rolls eyes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiegirl
As you can see, there is good reason why pit bulls have been banned.
I can give you stats where pit bulls are responsible for the LEAST amount of dog attacks as compared to other breeds.

My point? THERE IS NEVER a good reason to ban ANY type of breed!!!

----------

Speedwagon..what kind of dog is that?
Old 01-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Very good! Concise and to the point.

I've had the privelage (in most cases) of knowing an awful lot of pit bulls over the years. They are the most misunderstood breed out there. The bad reputation is deserved... but only because of environment and ownership. A sad truth in my humble opinon.

Quoting bite stats is a waste of time due to poor data or skewed data it's a difficult game to use numbers in statistics involving attacks. What should really be looked at is the owners of the dogs. I'd be willing to bet that bad training or mistreatment would account for almost all attacks involving the pit bull breeds.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
GSP/Lab Mix!

Quote:
As you can see, there is good reason why pit bulls have been banned.
That was one of the worst comments I have heard. Maybe you did bad research but Cocker Spaniels and Labs have bitten more people than pit bulls. Not to mention, "Pit Bull mixes" are usually Lab Mixes and lots of other breeds.