Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 11-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce Pit Bull View Post
Darla an Chico..your dogs are flippin gorgeous
I agree, very cute dogs!!
Old 11-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Active Pup

Angry

Did you guys know in Morrow Co. Ohio People are training pits to fight.
My mom told me people are going around her town looking for dogs that look sweet and friendly and the owners not right out with them. They steal them put them on like tread mill things to get them to run then cut them up then release the pitts. What can you do about something like that?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerfan View Post
My mom told me people are going around her town looking for dogs that look sweet and friendly and the owners not right out with them. They steal them put them on like tread mill things to get them to run then cut them up then release the pitts. What can you do about something like that?
Call the police if you see any evidence of dog abuse, especially Pit Bulls. Watch for house or farms that are usually really quiet and then all of a sudden has tons of cars and people.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinBullies View Post
Darn right its irresponsible ownership- the dog should be properly contained! If it really is an APBT and is aggressive toward you it is NOT typical APBT temperament and should be euthanized if it's usually left to run loose. I would give the owners hell. Sounds harsh- but it is the only plausible solution to these substandard hybrid nightmares these ignorant people have bred poorly and refuse to control. There are ill-bred "pit bulls" who still have good temperaments- if they are owned or adopted by knowledgeable and responsible people that's fine with me, but at this point the entire breed of true APBTs cannot afford to have unstable/aggressive "pit bull" hybrids/mixes/bad seeds running about. NO dog should be allowed to run loose, much less an APBT.
Depending on what she means by aggression. I don't fully understand what "trying to start a fight with me" really means. does it mean jumping against the fence/whatever is still managing to contain the dog, does it mean growling, does it mean barking? Those signals, for example, don't necessarily indicate human aggression...

I wouldn't automatically start hell with the owner either. I would try to find out more about the dog's conditions..and more about the owner in general...perhaps call animal control and state that you are concerned about the dog's conditions..that its left outside all day long, not properly leashed...describe some of the behavior the dog is showing, and let them decide...they're not the most "expert" people either, I know...but personally...I myself wouldn't be comfortable determining whether a dog should or should not be euthanized..I'm not a behaviorist, and alot of times there are tons of under the surface factors that determine why a dog behaves the way it does.

Is the dog chained all day? If so, then that's a possible cause of the dog's behavior..the dog is probably anti social in that case...and may not be human aggressive, but dominant in regards to his/her territory...chained dogs become VERY territorial...but yes, to sum it all up that definately deals with irresponsible ownership. I hate chaining..ugh
Old 11-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerfan View Post
I have a section about that in my website. Scroll down to "Dog Fighting"..it has some information on how to spot dog fighting, what to do about it, etc:

http://www.pitbullproject.ca/help.htm
Old 11-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest View Post
Depending on what she means by aggression. I don't fully understand what "trying to start a fight with me" really means. does it mean jumping against the fence/whatever is still managing to contain the dog, does it mean growling, does it mean barking? Those signals, for example, don't necessarily indicate human aggression...

I wouldn't automatically start hell with the owner either. I would try to find out more about the dog's conditions..and more about the owner in general...perhaps call animal control and state that you are concerned about the dog's conditions..that its left outside all day long, not properly leashed...describe some of the behavior the dog is showing, and let them decide...they're not the most "expert" people either, I know...but personally...I myself wouldn't be comfortable determining whether a dog should or should not be euthanized..I'm not a behaviorist, and alot of times there are tons of under the surface factors that determine why a dog behaves the way it does.

Is the dog chained all day? If so, then that's a possible cause of the dog's behavior..the dog is probably anti social in that case...and may not be human aggressive, but dominant in regards to his/her territory...chained dogs become VERY territorial...but yes, to sum it all up that definately deals with irresponsible ownership. I hate chaining..ugh
Correction on my part- if the dog is running loose and "starting fights" with dogs and people (odd term to describe HA if that's what they mean- I agree with you on that one, Pitbulliest)- then it's your duty to be sure some-doggone-body raises hell somewhere, and fast. If not, while you're sleuthing around trying to spy on the dog's conditions someone's animal or child could be bitten or killed. Nip that stuff in the butt asap. Habitually roaming dogs -especially "pit bulls"- are signal numero uno of pee poor ownership.

If the dog is contained properly and just barking...well as long as the dog appears in good condition healthwise I'd just talk to the owners directly and inquire about the dog...and express concerns about his apparent aggressive nature. He could be barking out of simple excitement. Beware of putting all dogs on chains in an antisocial category. Most pets kept on chains 24/7 -yes- they are most likely not socialized properly, but an excited working dog on a chain who is properly cared for (proper care= food, water, shelter, attention from owner off-chain) may not be what it seems. A dog outside all day isn't necessarily linked to an irresponsible owner, but a dog loose certainly is.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Active Pup

Awesome!!! I used to be really scared of Pitbulls until we found ours and my vet "told me like it was". I would not trade DeeJay in for anything in this whole wide world.

Thanks for the pamphlet.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest View Post
I have a section about that in my website. Scroll down to "Dog Fighting"..it has some information on how to spot dog fighting, what to do about it, etc:

http://www.pitbullproject.ca/help.htm
Any chance you could take out the part about the treadmills and springpoles? I have one and am waiting on the other to be shipped to me. Those paraphernalia laws are downright scary, because they target anything from breaking sticks to collars. I just hate the idea of innocent people being targetted because they exercise their dogs, and that kind of misinformation can be pervasive. Even though you did qualify it afterwards, I would still take it out. It also weakens the strength of what you wrote by saying "well this may indicate dog fighting, or it may not."

Not trying to be overly critical. Hope it doesn't sound like that.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 12-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
Any chance you could take out the part about the treadmills and springpoles? I have one and am waiting on the other to be shipped to me. Those paraphernalia laws are downright scary, because they target anything from breaking sticks to collars. I just hate the idea of innocent people being targetted because they exercise their dogs, and that kind of misinformation can be pervasive. Even though you did qualify it afterwards, I would still take it out. It also weakens the strength of what you wrote by saying "well this may indicate dog fighting, or it may not."

Not trying to be overly critical. Hope it doesn't sound like that.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Let's see:

--I own multiple APBTs
--My dogs wear 1 1/2 to 2 inch collars
--They are on chains when more than 2 dogs are out in the yard
--We have a springpole & flirtpole
--We have treadmills (1 slat mill & 1 electric human mill that the dogs also use)
--I've got 4 break sticks
--I've got dogs with scars......from hog hunting & from a few tiffs b/n dogs before they were separated
--I've got 3 dogs with cropped ears
--I've got pedigrees on all my registered dogs & 3 are even framed
--I own many many books about the breed from new books that deal with the general basics of doggy ownership to books like "100 Years of Fighting Breeds", etc.
--As a vet tech & dog owner & horse owner, I do have Penicillan, Dexamethasone, furazone, Hydrogen Peroxide, Nolvasan, syringes with & w/out needles, & even 2 staple guns.

The scary part is that due to people pushing that these items are "proof" that someone is fighting dogs, I could very well be targeted & I am in no way a dog fighter. In fact, I'm a responsible pet owner who uses adequate sized & quality strength collars on my dogs & keep them properly confined (be it in their kennels inside, loose inside, or outside on chains/tie-outs within a fenced yard) at all times. I enjoy various types of exercise with my dogs & utilize a spring pole, flirt, pole, treadmill, weight pull harness & carts, etc. to keep them stimulated, entertained, & happy. I have break sticks in the event of an emergency if 2 dogs get into a fight as this is the quicket & safest way to break them apart. Seeing as some of my dogs are hunting dogs, they have scars....plain & simple. I had 1 dog's ears cropped (which was botched) & acquired 2 dogs that already had their ears done. I have peds because I enjoy knowing their background/history just like anyone with any other breed does. I have so many books because I enjoy reading & love educating myself about the APBT breed. As a certified/registered vet tech, I am qualified to use these medicines & tools to tend to any of my animals when they are injured or ill. I do NOT neglect to bring them to the clinic with me to see a vet, but after a consultation/diagnosis from the vet, I bring my animals home & treat them here. If someone has a problem with that, so be it.

According to many sites with lists like this, I should be reported to the local animal control by my neighbors & then prosecuted as a "dog fighter." And this thoroughly pisses me off. It seems some people are just so **** trigger happy, that they don't mind offering up hundreds of innocent APBT or "pit bull" owners in the hopes they get 1 guilty one. Shame shame.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Felurian

Good points you've brought up, Miakoda and Bahamutt. No matter how well thought out and researched a point of view may be, there are always new things to be learned from others.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian