Pit Bull Pamphlet!

pitbulliest

Hey guys, if you are interested in downloading the pitbull pamphlet and passing it around to neighbors, vet clinics, ignorant people that need some educating, feel free to download and use it as you wish:

http://www.pitbullproject.ca/pitbulls.pdf

Its meant to fold as a double sided booklet... first page contains title page and end page, and the second sheet contains the information that would be found "inside" the booklet...the "middle section" if you will.

Since it is available for download now, I'm hoping it'll be easier to access for you guys. :) Ciao!

- Violet

Last edited:
Very necessary information and well written, too. Have you thought about asking local vets, pet stores, etc., to keep a stack of your brochures where people can pick them up?

I'm constantly raving and ranting on the subject of Pits. We live in a part of the U.S. where Pits are common and commonly misused - the Southeast. There are still dog fights in this area, although they are much rarer than they were even 10 years ago.

They're lovely creatures, very affectionate and typically non-human aggressive until some moron starts training and breeding for that temperament, usually involving some crossing and lots of inbreeding. The Humane Society shelters here don't even try to find homes for Pits that end up there; the Pits and anything remotely resembling one are put down immediately. Horrible, horrible situation, but I can understand it somewhat, given the breeding that goes on here and the liability issues. But it still breaks my heart. At one time the city of Morristown actually tried to pass local legislation banning Pits from being owned inside the city limits.

What I don't understand how some pitbulls are soooo friendly and nice and other times they totally scare me. There is a pitbull down the street from me that is constantly trying to start fights with my dogs and even w ith me. Is this because of unresponsible ownership?

The owner is usually the problem. It's not uncommon for Pits to be dog aggressive, but a responsible owner - like Ti - will work to alleviate this and they can be perfectly happy and companionable with other dogs.

Pitbulls are like any other breed. You can raise any dog to be agressive even toward humans. Pitbulls are a good choice for stupid owners because they are tuff dogs and that is why Pitbulls get a bad name. If any Pitbull has a responisble owner it is most liklely they will not be agressive. Pitbulls do not like other dogs it can occur naturally in the dog but it does not mean they cant. My friend has a Pitbull and it will not even harm a fly. ;) ;)

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I have printed out the pit bull phamplet and have been giving it to a lot of people. I just wish some people would understand that pit bulls (with the right owner) are usually just great big teddy bears. Every morning, Bula cuddles up right beside me in the bed. She will lay her head on the pillow right beside mine, and thrown one of her legs over me. She is just the sweetest dog ever. But, most people won't even give pits the time a day. Not even ONE chance.

S

Sadarra

Great pamphlet! I would include in history about the dog fights being broken up by strangers. This gets people all the time where I am. Gets people thinking at the very least. When you get this done, maybe you can put it out for others to get too. I know the family in my club with their Pit would love to have something to hand out to people about the breed. Everyone runs from Ginger when they see her but people just walk right up to the real problem dog in the club, a Plott Hound cross without a care in the world. I guess they like getting losing fingers.

Thats really good information. I think everyone in rhe US and everywhere else should get one..but I know that would br really hard to do. But it would be a great idea to put them in petshops and stuff.

olbrent

I,to, am a pit owner. Unless they have recinded or modified it, the spca national or the humane society national (I can't remember which) published a statement at the time the whole pitbull media witch hunt began saying that there were more reported dog bites by the cocker spaniel than with all large breeds combined. and later I heard a statement saying cockers and german shephards each produce more dog bite reports than pitbulls. Just a little more ammo for your fight to protect this loyal and powerful breed. Do you mind reprinting of your pamphlet for others to circulate? While walking rosie the rednose pit I was letting some kids pet her when a mom walked up and asked if she was "one of those mean dogs?" I replied" no she is a pitbull! :D Brent

Adrienne

Not sure if you have seen this link or not but I thought they did an excellent job...http://www.deviantart.com/view/11454716/, it is a bit graphic so viewer discretion is advised.

The pamphlet you made is very informative, great job! I have been an advocate for APBT's for the past six years. I hope someday to be able to tell someone my dog is an APBT and not get an evil glare :mad: . Ignorance is just pathetic, the way people flock with the masses without ever taking the time out to research what they are so against. It is sad that this wonderful breed suffers for our ignorance.

Adrienne

That was an awesome and informative pamphlet. HOPEFULLY it WILL educate people and make them want research more before they open their mouths and support something that is totaly bogus.

I'm not a pit owner, but i think they are awesome companions. A friend of mine used to have one and all that he ever wanted was to sit beside you and for you to stroke his paw.

I just think that people just like to "pretend" they know stuff when they actually don't and it's very evident. DOGS ATTACK ONLY WHEN THERE IS A REASON. (unless ofcourse if they are raised by STUPID people) And most of the stories they do hear usually happened to a friends friend's cousin's husbands sister mother in law who was twice removed. I mena sure there are some horrible things that DID happen BUT not all of them are because of Pits AND it's usually provoked by someone STUPID.

my opinion anyway

Lara

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
RIGHT ON! I agree 100%! I am sick of people shying away from my pup when they hear pitbull. He is the sweetest guy you would ever meet and all he wants to do is say hi to people and they walk away because he's part pit. I just let it go, because I know him and I know his personality, it isn't his fault that people are ignorant. I agree too about Pits and not letting them be alone for long. If I leave him alone in the kitchen while I'm doing something he whines and whimpers the whole time (it sounds like someone is killing him). He would love nothing more than just curl up on the couch and take a nap next to me. I take him with me in the car whenever I can so that he doesn't have to be home by himself, he really likes that. My husband said to say that he was a mix of a different breed but I'm not gonna sink to that. I'm not ashamed of what kind of dog he is, and he doesn't seem to be either. If people can't except him for who he is then that's ok with me.

thunder

My little Sassy is the sweetest dog you could ever meet. She is pit mixed with something else but we aren't sure what. She adopted us about 1 1/2 yrs ago. You can see her pic by clicking on the "My Family" link in my signature. Someone just dropped her off and since we had other dogs she just hung around. She wouldn't let me pet her for a couple days, she was hand shy, but since then she has been one of my babies.

thunder

jaquetta

I have had 2 pitbulls in the past. Both lived to be well into their teens. They were great dogs, and I apply to every post I see about them. My girl Duchess actually saved my 2 girls from a child molester when they were only 10 and 12 years old. Had it not been for her, I shudder to think what might have happened to them. He was an escapee from a local jail at the time. We lived in the country and the girls were outside playing when he started to approach them. To make a long story short. Duchess held him at bay with a bulldog stance warning him not to come any closer, or to even move. The girls ran in the house, told me, and I called the police. Duchess held him there and would not let him move till the law got there. Now, tell me this is a breed which should be banned..I DON'T THINK SO.

Other than this, everything I would say has already been said in the post above, which I agree with totally.

jaquetta

Members online

No members online now.