Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Yorkie or Chihuahua

What are the good thing and bad things about each breed.. I'm trying to pick between the two but I like them both a lot!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Your Mom

If you insist on getting a Yorkie or a Chihuahua DO YOUR RESEARCH! Breeders are a dime a dozen for both breeds, and 99.9% of breeders are turning out ****-poor examples of the breed. And even when you get the dog make sure you contact a trainer ASAP and get going on NILIF and enrolled in training classes so that you end up with a good dog and not a shivering, quaking, barking, snarling mess that most Chis and Yorkies end up being.

Sorry, but working in the pet industry has made me VERY weary of small dogs, ESPECIALLY those two breeds simply because of popularity and temperment factors. Do right by your pup even before he comes home, and you should be fine.

Oh and if forced, by gun point, to choose one of those breeds it would be a Chihuahua . . . but it would take me years to decide on a breeder that was acceptable. If I am ever to get a small dog it would be a Doxie (since I already know a breeder who rocks and who has dogs who's temperments rock) or a Chinese Crested.

And don't get me wrong! I know Chis that I love, and I have this one Yorkie in my current class that I absolutely adore (talk about a smart and obedient little thing!). But those two breeds are so absurdly popular that there is a disgusting number of people breeding them and there are more poor examples of the breed turned out that great ones.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Puppy Dog

I've found reputable breeders for both.. I've been e-mailing them and asking them questions but its so hard to choose! I love both of them so much.. So I just wanted input from others.. I've been doing research and they seem to have a great temperment and I would be able to train both of them myself..(With the help of my neighbor and obviously chazhound) but now is the hardest part. I've always wanted a small dog and finally after researching every breed possible I have come up with the chihuahua and yorkie about 6 months ago and have been doing research and talking to breeders ever since. Now that its almost time for me to be able to get a puppy I can't decide. The yorkie is really pretty and has gorgous colors.. I love the long coat of it and the little bow.. The chihuahua is really pretty too long and smooth coat.. I love their tails and they are both adorable.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Salty Sea Dog

your currently NOT interested in how they look, look into their personalities! THATS the most important thing.

do a search on yorkies personality and temperments, living with yorkies ect, then do the same for chihuahuas.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Puppy Dog

I have done the research.. I've been doing it for six months.. I said that I like the temperment of both and then I listed the physical aspects that I liked.. Can someone well me a good or bad aspect for the breeds.. I just need something that will push me more towards one of the breeds.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Your Mom

Be sure the dogs are titled in conformation and have health testing done at the very least. If not move along to the next breeder very quickly.

(I like to see working titles, also, but you never find them in Chis or Yokies.)
Old 04-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Salty Sea Dog

it realy all depends on YOU, on what YOUR looking for in a breed, a yorkie lover will come along and say yorkies are best, a chi lover will come along and say chis are best, we cant give you much of a personal opinion on which would suit you better wihtout knowing anything about you.
there are similarties between the 2 breeds but in reality they are 2 completly different breeds. so it would realy all depend on your life, your lifestyle and what exactly your looking for in a dog.

its very difficult to help based on "ive reaserched the breeds for 6 monhts and like the way they both look" tell us more about what you looking for, how much time are you home, what kind of exsersize can you offer, do you have a securly fenced yard, other dogs, other small pets, young kids, how long will the dog be alone, how long are you willing to spend grooming, what kind of hsedding are you willing to deal with, do you want a dog thats higher energy, what about noise level (do you live in an apartment with people livng nextdoor/above/below you?)

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, I agree with FoxyWench.

Personally, I would run the breeders' websites by Chazhound just to get a second (or third or fourth) opinion on the breeders. Not that I'm saying they're bad breeders. But just for peace of mind . . . It's such a big decision, finding a breeder, especially for a popular breed.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Puppy Dog

Okay so here is my lifestyle I am 15 I'm a freshman.. I live in a single family home with a pretty big back yard and part of it is fenced in. I have time to excersize play and groom the dog. I do have three other animals a beagle a rabbit and cat. The only time it will be left alone is while I'm at school and thats 7 to 2:30 and thats only for another 4 weeks. When I do get the puppy I think I will already be out of school.

Here is the breeders Im looking at and their website if I have it:
yorkie:
deeslilyorkies.com
clover hill yorkies

Chihuahuas:
Lori's chi babies http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7bj4t/index.html
the other breeder doesnt breed often.. and I also e-mailed my vet for breeders.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Puppy Dog

When I was researching yorkies I found a biewer yorkie.. Anyone know anything about them or any reputable breeders I can e-mail?