Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

Default Beagle questions

Are there small sized Beagles? If so what size are they generally? Also do Beagles tend to bark? the ones I've met always seem to be big barkers.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Who woulda thought <3

There is a beagle pup next door to me and all day long I hear nothing but barking and baying and howling..

As far as the sizes there are 13'' beagles and 15'' beagles
Old 04-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Corgi bum

Yes...........they bark a lot!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Uffda!

beagles are hounds, so they bark and they bay. Baying can be a little irritating if you're not used to it. Basically it's between a bark and a howl. It's an aaarroooo! My parents have a beagle and she definitely barks and bays. They also tend to shed quite a bit. But they have the sweetest personality!! They're a very happy-go-lucky breed.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Top Dog

I have a beagle, and she barks through the door at other dogs or people walking past, mostly saying "Mommy, why won't they come play with me?"

If she is outside and barking, you can guarantee, the neighbors labs, dachsunds, cockers, chow-gsd mix, or whatever other breeds people in this neighborhood own are barking too.

The only time my beagle barks when other dogs are not barking too is like I said when she sees another dog or person walking by the house that she wants to play with.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Top Dog

ok thanks. my parents really don't like the whole barking thing. Max was a SILENT dog so that's what they like, except if someone is in out yard or at our door.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Top Dog

My border collie / lab mix was almost totally silent. She would bark at squirrels once in a while, but that was it. She wouldn't even bark when someone came to the door. It might have been her personality more than her breeds, though. My mom used to have a beagle and they are enjoy barking . . . also digging.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Big Dog

I'm a huge hound-lover, and beagles are #2 on my list, basset hounds being at the top...though they'd probably be too big for your taste. They do bark often, but to a true hound enthusiast, their "aahhrroooooooooo" is like music to the ears!!! They are playful, wonderful, and just the right size for someone waving between wanting a small to medium sized dog.

I love beagles...I may be the wrong person to talk to, as I have a strong bias toward anything from the hound group.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Puppy Dog

My beagle doesnt bark too much only when he sees another dog or feels that something isnt right.. He has never barked in the house before though.. We got him when he was 2 so other than being a hunting dog I don't know what kind of training he has had.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:14 AM
swimming upstream

I think any dog has the potential to be a barker--they all need guidance and training around what you find acceptable!