Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Top Dog

I have a poodle who is awesome.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

We just got a Brussels Griffon and they seem to meet your requirements (with proper training of course)--maybe a Brussles or an Affenpincher? They do need some maintenence on their coats though.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

Yep, I keep finding places that allow dogs--but only if they're under 25 lbs (or 20 lbs sometimes.)

What do wire-haired breeds like affenpinchers and brussels griffons need for grooming? (Adorable dog, BTW!) Also, how many times a year do poodles need to be clipped / groomed (in a simple lamb clip)?

Also, how much grooming do papillons need? I've always liked the little guys.

On Petfinder I found a small dog rescue group in a neighboring city . . . I'll be keeping an eye on them.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm All Ears

Papillons are super easy to groom in my opinion. (Of course, I have shelties so that might make anything look like an easy grooming job). I brush the paps every day or two, comb the ears. Every few weeks you trim the hair on the feet and lower parts of the back legs with scissors. I bathe them whenever they need it. They're a single coated breed- they DO sheda bit (Some people say they don't, but they're lying to you), just not nearly as much as a double coated breed. They're kept really natural so the actual trimming requirements are minimal.

As far as your other requirements, they could fit, but they can be vocal (I don't think they're that vocal, but others say they are) My paps only bark when a sudden noise is heard or the doorbell or something like that. They don't sit around barking. Papillons are also one of the more active toy breeds. They're very intelligent and need a lot of stimulation. That doesn't mean they don't enjoy down time or can't be by themselves, but that they're most happy with people and playing and learning. Very athletic little dogs too. Mine are fine home alone and they enjoy to snuggle.... for a while. Then it's off to zoom some more. Great toy dogs for people that don't want a toy dog, if you know what I mean.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

Pug?

We had one once, and he had no health issues. I know they can have breathing problems, but ours didn't have any problems.

Not a barker. Not a high prey drive. Funny. BIG shedders, though, but no special grooming requirements other than cleaning facial folds.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Uffda!

Boston Terrier??

They're probably a bit more active than a pug, but a good walk a day should be fine. They don't shed very much, but they do shed. My boston hardly barks at all unless he's playing really hard or someone bangs on the door. They are usually between 15-25 pounds, and they're quite the clowns.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Corgi bum

I think a Pug or a Boston Terrier would be a good option.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Big Dog

If you're going to be gone for long parts of the day DO NOT get a Cavalier. They do not do well alone, if they have another dog around to keep them company then it might work, but if you're gone for 8+ hours then even a playmate may not help.

Cavaliers are prone to an imense amount of genetic disorders that even good breeding doesn't always prevent. You should expect to be spending about 2-3 years finding a good breeder and being on a waitlist. Cavaliers are also one of the more expensive breeds out there, the average price for pet quality is 1200-2000, anything significantly different then that is a huge red flag on the breeder and the quality of their pups.

Another thing is that Cavaliers are the largest of the toy breeds. The standard states that they should be 12-13 inches tall and weight between 13-18 pounds, but most are often larger than that recomendation and they have a tendency to get fat.

Going by your OP with what you want in a dog I would recomend the Brussels Griffon. But if you like the Cavalier without all the problems the I would go with the Papillon.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Top Dog

If you have a cat and get a small breed puppy, do the cats ever act as though the puppy is prey? Do they have to be separated when unsupervised? I would probably get an adult, but you never know . . . I have indoor cats, so they don't have any practical experience in hunting, but are always agog when a squirrel is outside. They have met dogs before, but only large ones.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

In my experience, even small puppies will aggravate cats. The cats try to stay out of their way and swat at them to let them know their antics are unwanted, but they don't chase them or hunt them. My vet told me that in 25 years of practice, he had only had one puppy who came in with a major injury from a cat, and that puppy was unusually persistent even after the cat had made numerous attempts to let him know to stay away.

My cats just stayed higher than my dog when he was a puppy. One of them now chases the dog, but the dog is bigger, and it's a back-and-forth game. They chase each other. The dog is VERY careful to never actually catch the cat, though.