smooth and rough collies?

lucozadd

Hi. Whats the difference between smooth and rough Collies?
Could somebody tell me some facts about Collies.
How much exercise do they need a day?
Are they good family dogs?
Are they good with young children?Are they aggresive?
Would they protect you if you or your house was in danger?Or would they mainly just bark?
Lastly,how easily trainable are they?
And any other info you could tell me.

Thanks.

Whats the difference between smooth and rough Collies?
Rough Collies have a longer, slightly rougher coat, Smooth Collies have a shorter, smoother coat.

How much exercise do they need a day?
They need LOTS of exercise. Collies are herding dogs, and normally herding dogs would be exercising basically all day.

Are they good family dogs?
Yes. Collies are very gentle, sweet dogs.

Are they good with young children?Are they aggresive?
Many collies are good with young children, but no dog should be trusted with small children alone. Any dog can be aggressive.

Would they protect you if you or your house was in danger?Or would they mainly just bark?
Most dogs are protective of their homes and families. Herding dogs tend to be pretty vocal.

Lastly,how easily trainable are they?
They are very intelligent and eager to please.

Last edited:

lucozadd

Are you talking about the Collies that were in lassie,thats the only way i can describe them.

I own 4 Rough collies and 1 smooth collie.
Smooth Collies are actually just a Rough collie with short hair since Rough collies can occasionally give birth to a smooth puppy. But are considered a completely different breed nowadays. The personalities though are very different. Smooth collies can be more shy and snappy then Rough collies. My Smoothe Collie Jacks is just a puppy of 7 months but she is not snappy at all but can be shy with company. Their less matenience and are suited for city life.

Rough Collies on the other hand is a great companion.Their easy to train safe and extremly protective of children and a good watch dog. All four of my Rough Collies compete in agility and Sheep Dog trails (my smooth is in training for both) and they excel but all my dogs come from working lines. Most Rough collies are too overbred for the show ring. If you want a Rough Collie be ready for daily brushing two times a day their coats mat extremly easily and can beacome uncomfortable if not constantly brushed.

How much exercise do they need a day? Both breeds show be walked atleast two times a day unless you live in a rural area like myself and you can let your dogs out for a good run.
Are they good family dogs? Both breeds are great family dogs
Are they good with young children?Are they aggresive? The Rough collie is probley a better bet for younger children but s Smooth would do well if grown up with children at its side.
Would they protect you if you or your house was in danger?Or would they mainly just bark? Both breeds are extremly protective of their owners and property (all goes back to being sheep dogs) they are not GUARD dogs but will attack if someone was threatenig to you. Our dogs bark at everything not normal and it can get annoying just to let you know.
Lastly,how easily trainable are they? Both breeds are extremly smart and easy to obedience train.

Anything else you want to know I'd be happy to answer :)

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
that site pretty much says the difference if you read it and then use the same site to look up Rough and Smooth collies. You should be able to see for yourself their differences and such.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
those airn't collies those are the persons Signature of German Shepherds. Have you done any research whatsoever?

lucozadd

Ye thats what i was thinking,i didn't think they were collies.I thought that at the most they might be mixed breeds.When i asked the question before i worded it wrong.

colliepop

I've had two Smooth Collies... the first passed away several years ago and we recently rescued another Smooth Collie. All collies can be Sable & White (like Lassie), Tri-Colored, which is mostly black w/ tan & white, Merle Blue, and White. The two Smooth Collies pictured above are Tri-Colored and Merle Blue.
From my experience, they're great around children and are very protective of family and property. My first Collie would watch over family friends' children in the pool! Our current Collie is normally very shy around strangers, but took an instant liking to our neighbors' children...
Like probably any breed, Collies' personalities depend on the dog... they can be outgoing or shy... but they can become very well trained & do better w/ positive reinforcement rather than being reprimanded..
Here's Nathan, our Sable & White Smooth Collie who is almost 3yrs old:

Members online

No members online now.