Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Felurian

Those can be some mean critters. We have them here, too, only ours have crossed with some real nasties imported from Russia back in the 19th century by the gentry who wished to have more sport from the pigs. Now we've got their descendants and they are an ornery bunch.

I could be some brand of wild cat, too. Or a polecat. Hopefully it is something on four legs - not two!

Are you thoroughly freaked now? Sorry. Do call the wildlife agency, and nag them if you have to.

Last edited by Renee750il; 07-02-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:09 PM

Well, I went to a neighbor's house today for a little picnic and brought up the strange sound. My neighbor down the road told me that their dog was attacked by a coyote recently...thankfully, it must have gotten scared and ran off, but the dog's back was a mess with something dislocated!!! The little dog was only outside for minutes. ALSO...and this isn't even legal..there is a man with a camp that comes around some weekends down that way who has been feeding a bear cub. How smart is that???!!! They were also having a big bear eating their trash. They shot over it's head the other day, and so far it hasn't come back. Now, I'm nervous. I live in southwestern PA...in the country completely surrounded by woods. I've never even thought of this before!!! Usually black bear will go the other direction when they detect you. The coyote thing is a whole different matter. I did find out you can shoot them anytime, tho.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Felurian

Yep, time for the dogs to come in at night. Time for the camper to be turned in for feeding the bear, and definitely time to talk to the wildlife people.

There are lots and lots of critters in your area; it's populated like ours is here.

It's not as easy as it sounds to shoot a coyote. They're quick, wary and they blend in perfectly with their surroundings. And they're smart.

Whatever you do, don't let Addie - or Hammie for that matter - out loose early in the morning or near dusk. That's when coyotes tend to hunt, along with night time, although they will hunt in the daytime if they feel safe. If you hear howling that sounds like beagles on speed, that's coyotes.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:42 PM

Your right...no more running loose. As far as the howling sound..that's hard because some distance away (but close enough to hear at night) I have a neighbor that has a sled team of huskys...sometimes they get to howling. It is sort of funny when it creeps me out on a dark winter night..they sound like wolves. I spent a great deal of time bathing smelly Addie yesterday. She looks beautiful!!! She was so happy..I think even she was sorry for how bad she smelled. Then a bath for Hammie. I ended up being the one smelling like the dog til I hit the shower. I am going to have a hissy fit over the man feeding the bear. I HATE when people do stupid things like that.....then leave. Hey, I live here...thanks buddy! We've already had the 'porcupine incident', and that was enough for me. I just want the wild life to stay in the wild. Quiet night last night.....let's hope it has moved on.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Felurian

The coyotes are more frenetic and frenzied sounding with a higher pitch than Huskies will generally be. I hate it when they wake me up in the middle of the night because it's so hard to tell how close they are and there's always a cow bawling, making me wonder if they've grabbed a new calf. We haven't seen any sign that they've gotten to any of ours, but they cut through our neighbor's pasture all the time, so I tend to think it's one of his cows bawling. But I still hate the thought that a baby calf might have met it's end that way.