Extremely confused about RAW

tony_hk

I have been thinking of adding raw to my dogs who is currently eating Innova puupy only. I am thinking of recreational purpose.

I am very confused. In my local community (Hong Kong), all the dog experts said it was unsafe to feed chicken. Actually they said "never feed chicken". Because the bone can be very shape to cut the internal of the dog. But I keep reading from this forum that people recommend chicken neck, wing and backs etc. Which is true?

I need to be extremely careful before I decide what to feed him because he only weights 2.5kg and he swallow everything he can swallow. I tried to feed him a snack with is a beef with bone. He swallowed the whole finger long bone immedaitely. Then on the other day, he threw it out. :yikes:

Is there any bone I can try on my tiny boy? SHould I freeze it before feed? Tks

RAw bones are generally safe to feed but cooked bones should never be fed. I prefer to give large meaty beef bones as they are so big the dog cant just swallow it in one gulp.

tony_hk

RAw bones are generally safe to feed but cooked bones should never be fed. I prefer to give large meaty beef bones as they are so big the dog cant just swallow it in one gulp.
Hi oc_spirit, tks for the reply. Do you have any photo to share for a recreational bone? Because of the different part of beef have some very different technical Chinese name here. Tks

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
a recreational bone would be any large marrow bone, essentially any weight bearing bone (ie the femur/leg bones)
some stores sell them as "soup bones" here.

i wouldnt suggest mixing Raw and Kibble unless its a kibble specifically desighned to be mixed with a raw diet supliment so i would stay away of any chicken (no part of chicken in recreational, its all food) RAW chicken bones are SAFE as they dont splinter and shatter like cooked bones do.

if you want to add some fresh bones id stick to recreational bones which will help keep the teeth clean and might have a little meat on but arnt considered "meaty" enough to be ameal. again any weight bearing bone of a larger animal, beef marrow bones are perfect rec bones.

if you want to feed a raw diet, (meaning no kibble just raw meats) then chicken backs, quarters and necks make up the majority of most raw fed dogs diets and usually the meat used to switch with because chicken is one of the mildest on the stomach.

i feed raw chicken wings to the chihuahuas on occasion (mabe once a month) as a treat, they also get small (big for them) beef marrow bones once every 2 weeks for their teeth
they would be fed 100% raw diet but they simply dont like it, they prefer their once in a while.

im getting a great dane puppy however and he will be switched onto raw chicken quarters as soon as he comes home, hell stay on chicken for 1-2 weeks depending on how his system reacts and then we will slowly introduce, turkey necks, then ground beef, then fish, then organs itll probably take about 3 months to entirely shift him from kibble to 100% raw IF his stomach reacts well, ive heard of some taking over 6 months to entirely work up to the full spectrum of meats.

tony_hk

Thanks.

How large should the beef marrow bone should be considering that my puppy is 2.5kg weight and 7 months old.

Should I let him to eat the whole bone? Or I should just let them teeth for a short period of time?

Members online

No members online now.