Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Snow Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatszmatter View Post
what might I ask was the "good idea" behind a shilo shepherd?
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I *believe* the original intent was to recreate the German Shepherd while improving it. So basically making a Shepherd with a straight back again but more size without losing agility or stamina.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 04-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
Also, just wondering if anyone can help me indentify this dogs' breed(s)

Aint she goorgeous? My friend in calgary is thinking about adopting her..
Sorry for the blurry photo, though. I upsized it a bit to make it easier to tell.
Thanks,
The breed nub.
You know who that dog reminds me of is Walker really... actually he reminds me of him A LOT.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:35 PM
whatszmatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I *believe* the original intent was to recreate the German Shepherd while improving it. So basically making a Shepherd with a straight back again but more size without losing agility or stamina.
Working line GSD's are still around, but regardless what they ended up creating was a large dog with no real working abilities to speak of.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Puppy Dog

So they're sort of a dog created for companionship much like most of the toy breeds but large?

I don't get why people have this idea in their head to 'create' a new breed in the first place, since there is so many breeds to choose from anyways.. and if you don't like any of them, .. adopt a mutt from a shelter.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Snow Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatszmatter View Post
Working line GSD's are still around, but regardless what they ended up creating was a large dog with no real working abilities to speak of.
Right but from my understandings she wanted a bigger dog that was more of an independent thinker that brought more to the plate...Like I said it was a good idea in theory she just didnt execute it very well at all and was the wrong breeder for the job.

I have no problem with people mixing breeds (whether or not they have the intent of creating a new breed) so long as they have a good reason for the mix. For example, mixing a Pit with a Catahoula for a better catch dog, a Siberian Husky with a German Shorthaired Pointer for a faster sled dog, a Pit Bull with a Greyhound for a faster catch dog, a Bull Terrier with a Pit Bull for a catch dog with more drive and a better bite, an English Bulldog with a (was it American Bulldog????) to try to recreate what the English Bulldog used to be...the list goes on. You can never know if a cross will work until you try it and sometimes the mix is better than the purebred that was originally created for the job.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Top Dog

I was a member of the shiloh club oh,,probably 15 years ago when I was looking into the breed. (i've always had gsd's).

Otch is right, their "writings" were great in theory but what was /is actually going on sucks.

The founder proclaims their mission was to breed the "old style/original GSD'.
Well if "Max" the founder ever saw gsd's of today (shilohs as well) he'd flip over in his grave because Shilohs certainly were not his idea of the "original" breed.

Anyhow, she bred bigger to bigger, long coat, I've heard their Mal thrown in for size as well, she has imported a couple GSD's to diversify blood..

In the end, I've met quite a few very very disgruntled clients of Shilohs.
Of the Shiloh's I have met, I've liked two, most have very skitzy /shy temperaments, hip /elbow probs,,(check ofa database and see how many have passed),,and other health probs..I guess what I dislike most, is the temperaments, to soft, far and few in between that could "work"..

Lovely to look at, but the whole package is missing alot. Just my opinion
(Oh there is an offshoot club of the original that IS trying to straighten out the mess , I give them credit, but they have a small gene pool to work from.
Now the KING shepherd is also an offshoot of the Shiloh's)
Diane
Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Steer clear of Shiloh and King Shepherds. Both creators are under the impression that they are the 'original' version of the German Shepherd Dog. In reality, they created yet another health ridden, overgrown glamour breed that might have a 'solid' breeding program, but is far off from what is intended.

My Polyvore
Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Puppy Dog

Mm, so just another designer dog, eh?

Old 04-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
Also, just wondering if anyone can help me indentify this dogs' breed(s)

Aint she goorgeous? My friend in calgary is thinking about adopting her..
Sorry for the blurry photo, though. I upsized it a bit to make it easier to tell.
Thanks,
The breed nub.
Looks like an Anatolian/Cattle Dog to me.

I don't know too much about Shilohs though my uncle owns two. Lol yeah im bad. But I always assumed they were a seperate breed from German Shepherds.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shilohshepherd.htm
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)