Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Dog Stories

Old 04-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Don't encourage me..

Default How we came to have Gustav!

Well it all began in March 2003, Martin and I had been living in France for 4 months by this point (we were renting a house in Gironde, much further south than we are now!) and Martin had promised me that we'd get a dog as soon as we were settled. I had been watching Crufts on the T.V and so started bugging him even more, so finally he gave in and said that we could go to the rescue center and have a look. I knew that we would be coming home with a dog as Martin is a big softy!!! So we turned up at the rescue center and the lady said what sort of dog are you looking for? And I said something Labrador sized, but I didn't mind what sort of dog it was. She took us down to the end of a row of dogs and there was this beautiful Labrador sitting there. He was obviously a pedigree and well looked after, his nails were perfect and he had the look if someones pet about him! So we said we'll take him! And the lady said we'd have to wait two weeks as they were obliged to see if anyone came forward to claim him, she thought that this would be likely as did we as he was such a nice dog!
He was claimed! I was dissapointed but thought oh well he obviously wasn't the dog for us!
I continued to say how nice it would be to have a dog etc. etc. at every opportunity, and one morning Martin went off, and when he came back he said he'd found the perfect dog! But we had to wait two weeks till all his paperwork came through and he'd been tattooed! I said to him, what sort of dog is he? and Martin said hard to describe! So that was that! I asked him how he'd chosen this dog and he said, he rushed up to the cage when Martin approched and licked his hand and that was it Martin was in love!
Two weeks passed (it seemed like a lifetime especially as I hadn't even seen the dog yet!) and one morning we got a phone call and Martin went off to get him. I waited anxiously for them to get back.
And then there he was, Gustav! I fell in love with him instantly and he hasn't left my side for more than a few hours since that day!
He used to howl if I shut him out of the bathroom! He was like a shadow for months!! He followed me everywhere incase I left him!
Gustav had come from Belgium, all his paperwork had to be transported and verified that's why we had the two week wait! He'd just been abandoned! Apparently alot of people do it, come over on holiday or to work and the rented houses don't accept pets so they just dump them!

So that's the story of Gustav! (Oh he came with the name by the way incase you're wondering!!) Personally I think Alfie suits him better, but Gus he is!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-07-2005, 06:31 AM
Don't encourage me..

Nobody interested! C'est la Vie!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-07-2005, 09:06 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Gustav..I am interested indeed!!!!! How fortunate for him that you came when yu did.and how lucky for you! You certainly adopted a fine fine dog. I have truly enjoyed the stories of his antics and have loved him thru your words. I am sure you would like to know his history as i would like to know Victor's. Do you have any guesses about the previous owners? i know that Vic loves bubblegum, and flashlights..and knew what the opening of a potato chip bag meant so i am going to guess that Vic was around teenagers, but it is only a guess.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Disappointed :(

Exellent story - had Gustav been 'in care' or lost for long, or don't you know?
I can't understand why people just abandon dogs -- its so common in Spain too.
It's nice he sounds so settled with you - what a great life he must now have.
Bonnie missed her whole puppyhood phase - abandonded when very young, then in a charity shelter for a year or so (in fact becoming their mascot as a 'long termer!') - but she's making up for it now! I'm so pleased to be able to give her a better life, but sad for all the others...
Old 04-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Don't encourage me..

We got his original passport, but the pages with previous owner details were ripped out!! He had been microchipped and fully vaccinated so someone must have cared for him!! Although he couldn't even sit! He didn't know any commands at all, in French or English! His teeth are a bit worn on the backs so I think he must have been chained up alot and tried to knaw his way out!! Maybe he was a yard Guard dog?!!
He was terrified of Martin, cowering and hiding from him for about 4 weeks (which is strange because he rushed up to him at the shelter! maybe it was destiny that I should have this dog!!), so I think that maybe a man had ill treated him!!

He seemed to latch on to me from the moment he arrived! If I went into the bathroom Gus went into the bathroom, if I went in the kitchen he would be in the kitchen! If I went outside and shut him in he would howl and then destroy something!!

He was exactly a year old when we got him. He was Born on the 1st of March and we got him in March! He was thin but not REALLY thin, his coat was awful, and he stank, but apart from that he was in quite good condition!

All I really know is that he's a happy chappy now!!

Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Don't encourage me..

He'd arrived 2 days before Martin went to see him! So he wasn't there long at all, and I know what you mean, it broke my hear to leave the others there!! There was this huge Irish Wolfhound that was really grumpy, dirty and smelly and kept barking at everyone! And I knew that he would never find a new and loving home!! If I had had the room I would have taken him, but it just wasn't possible at the time! I still think about him and feel sad now!!

Old 04-07-2005, 09:52 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

That is how i feel about Shaffer's sister, but i couldn't and mom shouldn't even be trying with the brother. i hope Medear gets someone just like you or Bonster!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Don't encourage me..

I hope they found good homes too!! Do you know, at the French rescue centers there are more Pedigree Short haired German Pointers brought in than any other type of dog!! It's an interesting fact! I wonder why!!!!

Old 04-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Disappointed :(

If they are 'worked' I would guess it's when their masters are done with them. Happens with Spanish greyhounds (galgos) and 'coursing' breeds all the time.
Many 1000s are just let loose at the end of the 'season' each year or if they get old or tired - that's the lucky ones... others have a worse fate...
Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Don't encourage me..

The majority are young dogs! Maybe impluse breeding?! I would love to get one, I think they are lovely dogs but Gus hates them!! Our neighbour has one called Alex who got out once and bit Gus on the bum when he wasn't looking! Now he hates them all!!