Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Big Dog

Default Sort of a breed-related rant...

We're getting our basset hound puppy from a reputable breeder in early June, after literally waiting for ages for the moment to arrive...the pups were whelped successfully last Wednesday.

So, in preparation of the pups arrival in several weeks (or for what seems like eternity), I decided to do some on-line shopping/browsing for some pet supplies.

And much to my disgust and frustration, most of the REALLY cutesy, adorable, trendy-looking stuff is geared toward the toy breeds, and to the "tea-cup" designer dog fad (barf...er...excuse me). I also have a large golden retriever, and a chow/rottie/lab mix, and have yet to see ANY really COOL "upscale" looking products for larger breeds that are even remotely as "couture" as what is being geared for the Hilton-puppy wannabe's. I can find rather plain functional stuff that fits my large dogs, such as rain slickers, nice ceramic plain-jane dog bowls, nice leashes, etc. But...my chow/rottie/lab, as large and "in-charge" as she is, she's actually very lady-like and feminine, and I could see her with some of those pretty sequin hoodies, and rhinestone sweaters, and in a bedazzled blingy carrier for car rides and trips, etc.

Our basset puppy will be a female...and she too will grow to be a large-breed dog, although of short stature. Most of the t-shirts, and sweaters, and fun clothing items are really not made for a basset's build...they have almost abnormally deep chests, some can be rather girthy around the middle, and most of the sweaters aren't long enough to accommodate their lengthy bodies. Even the coats with the strap around the middle may not work for this breed...

So, why do the toys and designers have all the fun, anyway? Most of us large-breed lovers on here think our dogs are every bit as cute, and snuggly, and accessory-worthy as their tiny counterparts...

Hmmm...just an observation.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Snow Girl

I think its because on average, the people who buy the little dogs are also the people who are more apt to dress them up like dolls whereas the people with larger dogs are more apt to treat them like real dogs and only put functional stuff on them...

Personally I would never put some of the ridiculous stuff they have out there in either of my dogs. I might for a picture or two just to have a laugh but I''ll pass for daily wear. I have also noticed that most of the ""girly dog stuff"" is very low quality, often using plastic buckles and such which my dogs would just snap anyways. And to top it all off, its lso generally horridly expensive.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 04-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

Well, afterall, they aren't called toys for nothing

I can see how annyoing it could be though. I have toy dogs and don't dress them up. I personally can't stand the "Hilton" dog accessory (sp) fad.

Good luck with your new puppy, bassets are adorable!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Well, none of my toys have been dressed up beyond a sports jersey for a laugh or a sweater for snow days, so I dunno if we're having all the fun lol. My dogs would much rather go nekkid.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Chihuahua Power!

My chis have a few shirts and sweaters, mainly to stay warm during our walks in the winter months. Rylie refuses to wear anything, though... she runs and hides when the sweaters come out of the drawer.

I'm not one for ridiciously expensive dog things which hold no purpose.

I really hope this fad goes away. I'm sick of people treating their toy breeds like babies.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I have 2 hoodies, a jumper and a coat for Cider. They never really get any use. Were adorable to buy, not practical... She wore the coat some in winter, but that's a bout it.

Instead I put bandannas on her...

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Puppy Dog

Talking

Oh lord if I ever tried to put a bow or clothes on Nemo my husband would flip, so would Nemo I don't like clothes for dogs, not only does it look ridiculous (JMO) but it matts the hair. Nemo is in a puppy cut and his hair is so much easier for me to take care of now. Don't think everyone who owns a small dog puts clothes on them I don't and I have friends who don't either..
Andrea

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think of you
Old 04-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Big Dog

It's good to hear toy and small dog owners come out and proclaim that they treat their smaller pooches like dogs!

It's not that I'm particularly interested in buying a lot of froofy garbage for my dogs (after all, Puppy, the chow/rottie/lab mix is a lady one moment, and then rolling in the mud the next ), just some cuter items like ceramic dishes, 2 sweaters that are nice and will actually a FIT a very large dog (because even the XL sizes won't cut it for many large breeds, and certainly not for giant breeds), and perhaps a nice dog bed that is stylish AND large enough for a big dog.

One example of a ridiculous site I visited, was the Pampered Puppy site...lovely items, OUTRAGEOUS prices, and not too many options for bigger dogs. I was really most mortified by their prices...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Puppy Dog

In my avatar I have a sweater on Nemo, because it was right after his surgery and he was shaved so he was so cold, so that is why I put it on him.
I would never spend those outrageous prices for clothes for dogs, I would rather spend the money on me ..I don't have a problem with it some people like to do it and to each his own, just not my thing..
Andrea

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think of you
Old 04-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

I'd just buy some colorful girly bandannas ........

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/