Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:33 AM
no touchy

Hydro, if the puppies in that pet shop aren't from puppy mills, they're from backyard breeders (BYB). These are a step higher than puppy mills, but they're not as good as reputable breeders. They do no health testing. They do not show. They often breed more than one breed and/or designer mixes. No reputable breeder would sell their puppies to a pet shop. They would sell them by themselves and scan buyers.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

I personally am warry of any advertised litter or caged dog in a store. Any good breeder has a waiting list for their pups and/or word of mouth after the whelp. The one statement I HATED when I bred Goldens.....when do you get rid of them !!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Top Dog

Default Hold It

I would re-think having an "attack dog" trainer help you with any obedience training with your new pup. You need to go to PUPPY SCHOOL with any dog you get. Your dog needs to go to school to be socialized with ALL kinds of people and other dogs from the very beginning. You need to be the one to work with your dog so the dog develops respect and a loving relationship with you-it's loving owner!! I sure hope that you are not looking for an agressive breed so that you can have a guard dog. This is not necessary as people have said before, GSD's are plenty protective on their own. It is your job to help your dog control it's protective tendencies and know when they are appropriate, not encourage aggressive or attack behavior! Pleeeeeeeeeease re-think getting a puppy from a pet store. NO reputable breeder would ever choose this avenue. Most puppies that end up in pet stores are poor examples of their breed through carless breeding methods and lack of knowledge on the breeders part. They often have poor temperaments and are under socilaized...this can make for a dangerous situation with a GSD. A lot of times, the puppies that end up in the pet store are the last puppies left that no one would pick. There are reasons behind this. When I worked in the vet clinic, we saw so many puppies from pet stores that had parvo (a potentially fatal virus) and kennel cough, worms, malnutrition, you name it and they had it. I know this pet store claims to back you for one year, but trust me, you don't want to watch your pup go through one of these diseases...even if someone else is paying the bill.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:31 PM
United States Marine Corp

I definetly would not like my dog going through those diseases. We are going to be training the dog to socialize and become even more of an attack dog. I don't believe in being born as an attack dog naturally. This dog is going to be my companion and a killer for anyone else.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

All I can say, is that what you are doing is really sad, for you and your dog, and I am sorry you feel that kind of liability is something you want in your life. Unfortunatley these situations usually lead to your dog being euthanized and your a** in jail. You are a Marine and you need a dog to protect you?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Don't get a dog...Just buy a gun! People who encourage dogs to attack are the whole problem that leads to Dog Breeds getting banned. The culture of fear is so bad in the USA it is really depressing. Why would want your dog to enter combat of any sort. Any man can disable even a large dog in seconds. That means your loyal and loving companion will be killed or injured for some bizarre expression of machoness. This attitude really burns me up!!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:46 PM

No, a dog wouldn't be born an attack dog naturally, but I have a GSD and I can assure you he is a natural protector..WITHOUT needless attack training. That means he would protect me if a situation proved life threatening.....I would bet on it in a heartbeat. To go beyond that natural instinct and specifically train your dog to be a killer (your word) is dangerous beyond belief. You are asking for trouble, and I am telling you that you are asking for MORE danger to the dog...and a lawsuit to yourself....or worse. Have you even researched GSDs? I personally don't think you have the proper personality to own one.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Hydro, what Debi said is right on. Why do you feel you need an attack dog? Why is this a glorious image in your mind? What are you so afraid of that you feel housing a dangerous animal is necessary to keep you safe? What happens someday when you have a significant other, or family visits, or you have children of your own, or your dog attacks a niece or a nephew? I guess I just don't understand your frame of mind...help me understand
Old 05-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

I'm very sorry for your dog. This won't end well for him. His life is going to be over before he gets a chance to live it.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
United States Marine Corp

I'm getting this dog as a guard for my mother and father who live in a terrible neighborhood here in Brooklyn. We need a good dog who will take care of intruders in the house hold, why is everyone flipping out because I'm going to train my German Shepherd to be an attack dog? Police do it all the time, all over the world. I'll have a lease and a mask on it whenever anyone is around it but myself or my parents. I'm not going to starve it and make it a psycho. I'm going to take care of it, but with additional training with human dummies and to not accept food from anyone but me.
Closed Thread