Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Default Making My Own Raw Food

So, I have decided to start making my own raw food. I was going to be a distributor for someone but I realized to make it is cheap and they sell it for a whole ton of money. I am just going to make my own and not buy off of them and not sell for them.

This is my recipe. Let me know if you think it sounds ok

Beef, beef heart, carrots, peas, apple, potato, egg (whole), grapeseed extract, cod liver oil,
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Snow Girl

Its hard to tell because each recipe needs to be tailored to each individual dog regarding age, weight, lifestyle, activity level, health, etc. For example in the winter time my guys get some raw beef fat for that extra fuel to keep warm but if a Husky of the same proportions as OC but who lived as solely a pet and only went outside for his 1 hour walk every day and never got any more excercise than that and always lived in the house, got fed the same amount, it is very likely he would end up fat whereas OC would stay fit and trim simply due to the different lifestyles and activity levels...make sense?

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Gotcha. My boy I am trying it on is extremely active. He goes goes goes all the time. Thanks for the input
Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Snow Girl

Thats good! His diet would likely be different than that of your pup as he probably is out and doing a lot more than she is at the moment and you also have to cater to her growing body.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 04-18-2007, 11:21 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

What would be good for her? Do you know? She eats like a horse and is gaining about 3 lbs a week right now. She is also very active and gets walked at least once a day if not twice.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Snow Girl

I dont, sorry! That would be something to consult with your vet. I would assume a high muscle meat diet...it would be best to consult a vet who you is pro-raw, or if you want I could get you in touch with my dog nutritionist.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:12 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

That would be great OC, if you could talk to your dog nutritionist. My vet is pro vet food This is what is ina 4lb batch of it. Let me know what he/says. I hope it is good for them. If not I can change it no problem. Thank you soooooooo much.

2 lb beef
1 lb beef heart
.25 lb apple
.25 lb carrot
.25 lb peas
.25 lb potato (I am going to try this, if they don't do well it will be switched to green beans)
1 whole egg
grapeseed extract
cod liver oil
Old 04-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Salty Sea Dog

if feeding raw you REALY need to keep the bone and meat ratio right, and keep it very simple at first. most will suggest picking one protein and feeding it for a week at first, (ie chicken backs or quarters)

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Island dweller

I dont' think you want to be feeding cod liver oil every day. You'll need to get a fish body oil for everyday feeding and then feed offal occassionally (or however you work it).

edit: plus you really need a calcium and other mineral source like soft, raw bones
Old 04-19-2007, 04:18 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Thats why the egg shell is in there. Should I add more egg shell?

I would like to feed beef. Its easier for me to get my hands on. So do you think that I should just stick to beef and NO heart for the time being?