Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

I will be the 1st to say that feeding raw doesn't guarantee any more years on your dogs life, and I don't think that is part of the debate that has arisin. What I will debate is the quality of those years. I look at our late Midnite's condition prior to feeding raw, and how she lived the last 2 years of her life, and she clearly had it better. She was more vibrant and most definitely in a healthier state. She seemed to enjoy her life, with a spring in her old arthritic step, and she loved her dinner time. The reason we put her on it was when we started Gunnar, she and Bruzer would get all excited about the new smells and everything that surrounded the prep of the raw dinner for Gunnar. Then I'd put down her bowl of kibble, and she'd give me this sad look. So we put her on it too.

A couple pages back someone asked about supps. I give fish oil caps along with vitamin E to Gunnar, because he doesn't like fish. I can sneak canned mackerel in on him if I mix it with ground beef- thats what he's had the last 2 days. I have some doggie vitamins, I'll give them each one of those a couple times a week. Other than that the only supplements are food items like eggs or yogurt. The rest of the diet is raw meaty bones, muscle meat, and organ meat.

Gem, you opened a great topic here, please don't be offended. I don't think Whatz meant anything negative in their comments. It's pretty obvious that those of us who feed raw truly believe in it and are passionate about it, but I think we're all pretty level headed.

Herschel, the comments about the runny stools is about wild canines, it's shown that the order in which they eat a kill affects their stools, and our dogs would be the same way. I read a story on another forum where a lady's husband fed the dogs for her and gave them an entire package of kidneys. You know that the result of that was. If you keep a good bone to muscle/organ ratio, the stools are firm, compact and healthy, if that is a word you can use to describe stools!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I do just have to add, it is incredible peace of mind to know you don't have to worry about what you are putting into your dog's bowl.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Twin 2.0

I've been debating going over to raw for a while now and with the whole recall thing, even more so. I already give raw snacks, chicken necks/wings and the occasional RMB rec bone. Ground beef is a big favorite as well. So yeah, once I get things settled out, I'm going to try it and see.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 PM
BusterLove

our dogs get a mainly raw diet. we feed them biscuits aswell for snacks. but they don't get so much. other than that they get chicken neck, turkey necks, chicken thighs, beef and lamb soup bones, lamb offcuts and if we find cheap mince then we'll cook it up wiht some pasta and veggies and feed them that.
buster never had canned food for about 5 years. when he was real hungry and i couldn't find anything else i'd give him a can of pedigree (i dunno why we always had them, i think it was to give to sophie sometimes, or daisy) and 30 minutes later he would get sick and throw it all up.

but we found a brand called "natures gift" it smells like real food, not dogfood. you can actually see hte bits of corn and veggie in it. it doesn't make them sick. its more expensive but it seems like a much better alternative to the other brands. mums never liked feeding canned food to our dogs because we agreed that most dog food is an excuse to mash together all the most disgusting un-nutritius bit of slaughterhouse leftovers and make money from them.

so our dogs have a pretty varied diet, plsu the bones everyday means their teeth are a lot cleaner then dogs fed only canned food. same reason we give panda some chicken bones whenver he's around.

oh, and as for veggies, i do believe they are important. but all our dogs are grazers. lol i swear their part cow. there is a big paddock behind our hosue and you let them out into it and they all run olike mad then just stand around and eat grass. its realy odd, their mad on it.

plus leftovers! alwasy hey get the leftovers. lol

Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I haven't read through the whole thread so I don't know if this has been said or not.. but there are plenty of books with helpful guidelines for feeding homecooked and raw diets. There's also Mordy.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:34 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I have started feeding home cooked CORRECTLY as of today. But correctly according to a book i bought
"holistic guide for a healthy dog"
it is mainly about raw diets, but according to this nearly the same rules apply to home cooked, other than there is one more thing to add. however this book wants you to supplement like CRAZY. i mean like 10 different supplements rotating some days. i dont see my self doing that much supplementing.

it includes grain every single day. Grains are breakfast, meat for diner. and of course, dairy , eggs, etc
Old 04-18-2007, 09:36 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I have that book, it's good.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

awesome. i am using it sorta as a bible right now. however i seriously doubt i will do this diet raw. maybe with out chicken and no bones!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Top Dog

I know how you feel Gemp. I was looking on the internet at first, and it totally boggled my mind. So, I've decided to go with books instead. BP was kind enough to send me her book list. I'd be glad to forward it to anyone that's interested.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

I've got a question, as of yesterday, my dogs are on the Nature's Variety pre-packaged raw, seeing as I would be absolutely terrified to have to make up their own diet. Mordy said over what we're feeding now it's the choice she'd make, so I made it

This whole bones in the x-ray's is kind of freaking me out though I must admit.

Yesterday I heard them chewing on some pieces of bone and they ate it without a problem, but I'm a bit worried.

Any raw feeders here have anything to give me some piece of mind? LOL

I was told by my trainer that I should be expecting some runny poos seeing as we just switched cold turkey, but suprisingly I've not seen one.

And today, Hades had one, very small, hard poop in comparison to his normal 3-4 large, hard but somewhat "claylike" poos on kibble/canned.

Roxy as well had one poop (she usually has two) that was about a quarter of the size of her normal poops.

That's the only change I've noticed, but I'm pretty surprised actually seeing as today is only the second day they've had "raw", even those it's pre-packaged.