Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatszmatter View Post
well hersch since you have everything figured out, why exactly are you here asking questions? (seriously) just to be a smart ass? and you're right I am going to say rice is a filler a rather cheap one too, with hardly any benefit to our animals. Believe what you want. If you want to believe that most of the rice that "isn't a filler" is used by your dogs, great, I continue to believe that most of it gets deposited directly onto your's or someon else's lawn.
Remove door knob from rectum, then speak!

I was asking your opinion. I don't think rice is a filler but if you do, please show me your evidence that it is. And yes, I'm serious, I would like to hear your view on this.

However, if you can't be polite, forget it.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Island dweller

There are people who actually want to learn on this thread so instead of slinging snotty comments at each other why don't you guys try and put your differences aside and share what your thoughts on the issue.

This is a big concern for a lot of dog owners and they want to find out the best for their pups.

Knock it off.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje View Post
There are people who actually want to learn on this thread so instead of slinging snotty comments at each other why don't you guys try and put your differences aside and share what your thoughts on the issue.

This is a big concern for a lot of dog owners and they want to find out the best for their pups.

Knock it off.
well said.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
Gee. Forgive my transgression for questioning the Almighty Raw. I shall not make the mistake of doing so again.
And this is what you get from people who SWEAR that feeding raw food is the only way to feed a dog ! I feel the same way you do Gempress! I have found no proof that a raw fed dog will live far more longer than a premium fed kibble dog. And may I just add that years ago my GSD's ate Purina dog chow and lived till 15 and 16..............FYI I have been considering Natures variety already made raw foods but I keep questioning it in my mind, something just rubs me the wrong way feeding raw and always has. I admit I tried it for a few months when Caiza was around 7 months and his poop was always a mess eating it. Funny that when someone disagrees with raw food that they get attacked by the raw food feeders or Nazi's as RD put it J/K LOL! I think it is great that people feel that raw meat is "species" appropriate for their dogs guess thats why you do as an individual what you feel is best for your dog .
Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

I second the request for having some layman's terms for meat. If I went to the butcher, I wouldn't have half a clue what to ask for
Old 04-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Are you dead yet?

Just to comment on one thing . . . Dogs can live on practically anything. Many years ago, shepherds used to feed their border collies something similar to corn flakes with cream poured on top of it. Those dogs could easily have run a hundred miles a day bringing in the sheep, and that was what fueled them. Wild dogs eat whatever they can get - I know a lot of people say that wild canines never eat the stomach contents of their prey and this may be true for large prey, but I've never seen a coyote that would catch a rabbit and discard the stomach. I've seen coyotes ransack a barn and eat sweet feed and berries - we thought it was raccoons until we set up video surveillance in the barn. Our ranch dogs used to dig up carrots out of the garden and eat them. If it's a significant source of calories, dogs will eat it. They're obviously opportunistic and will choose meat over berries and grain when given the choice (which says something about their ideal diet imo) but I think it's silly to argue about how kibble is going to kill our dogs when they have proven that they can and do survive on just about anything.

Our ranch dogs ate purina food and whatever they would catch/scavenge, and they lived to a pretty good age - my chow/lab mix was 15 or older when she passed away (only knew her minimum possible age, she could've been much older) and our Lab/Greyhound mutt was 14. Would they have lived longer on a better diet? Who knows. I am not concerned with longetivity so much as quality of life. I'd rather a dog have 10 good years and drop dead while running like a young dog, than have 10 good years and then 6-7 years of pain and health problems.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Water Junkie

Very good thread, everyone Thank you.

I completely agree with this statment made here.
Quote:
I am not concerned with longetivity so much as quality of life. I'd rather a dog have 10 good years and drop dead while running like a young dog, than have 10 good years and then 6-7 years of pain and health problems.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
I'm All Ears

I agree, our old bird dog and mutt lived off of pedigree and table scraps. Doesn't mean i should feed that to all my dogs now.
whatszmatter

Rice isn't easily digestible, all I have to do is boil some rice and mix it with burger to see the increase in stool size and "rice" itself in the poop over when I don't have rice in there. The only time they get rice is if we have left over and that way it gets put on the lawn as fertilizer instead of down our garbage disposal. The only reason you don't see "rice" from kibble is its processed beyond recognition what you get is just bigger stools from a food source not so bioavailable to dogs. Cat food is even worse, its almost all filler

as for meat sources. ask for kidneys, beef and pork hearts, liver (chicken, pork, beef), gizzards, chicken backs, chicken necks, pork necks, ox tails, chicken quarters, ground meat of any kind, buffalo, beef, turkey, etc. You can feed fish of all sorts, raw or canned, raw being preferred of course. you can look for other stuff, rabbit duck, etc when it goes on sale or close to expiration, otherwise it gets pricey with those meats. I give organic yogurt, cottage cheese, supplement with fish oil, some vit E on occasion, rarely some veggies. Those are the basics for me

and that brings me to how many veggies do dogs need? debateable, but all i have to do is add some veggie mash that's been blended to their bowls and I can see most of it undigested in the crap the next day. I don't think its terribly important myself.

Last edited by Saje; 04-18-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Are you dead yet?

Of course not, Laur. Hope you didn't think I was implying that!

I just think it's ridiculous for people to bicker about raw vs. kibble. Since people don't allow their dogs to scavenge, it's just a matter of doing what works best for them. Some dogs don't do well on raw, and some dogs don't do well on any kibble.

If it can be done I think raw is best, just because I think a diet of whole, fresh foods is better than processed, dried/canned food, but it doesn't mean the processed food is unhealthy. I just see extra benefits in feeding a diet in which I know exactly what my dog is eating. Well, almost... I don't want to know what she snarfs up while she's working sheep, but every time she's in that roundpen she grabs a mouthful of something that looks... brown. And not for eating. *shudder*