Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-18-2007, 03:38 PM
whatszmatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
Gee. Forgive my transgression for questioning the Almighty Raw. I shall not make the mistake of doing so again.
as long as you understand that RAW rules, then all we be well
Old 04-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Are you dead yet?

I only supplement with fish body oil, vitamin C and vitamin E. Some people choose to supplement a ton, but I think the dogs get whatever they need from the meat, organs, bones and occasional veggie matter. Dogs do not need complete nutritional balance with every meal like Science Diet would like to tell you.

And Herschel, of course not. That's why people tend to feed bones *with* the meat.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Red View Post
Am I wrong here ? And Dan you may be the one to answer this but when feeding raw I also have noticed that you all seem to add supplements to their diets am I correct ? I am in no way picking at bones pardon the pun if I am to learn then I have to ask right ? This is another thing that makes me question how it is 100 % wholesome as I am told. I do not feed kibble at all now my dogs get homemade. I felt that was the best answer to their needs and yes I do add vitamins to their diets. They do get raw veggies and fruit though lol.
The people I've been talking to feed vitamins and supplements, yes. I don't know too much about this, I'm a student myself.

I'm not going to say kibble is bad or anything, but I know from what I've seen that raw is the best diet for my little boy and I'd encourage others to at least research some.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:50 PM
whatszmatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
So is that the goal we should aim for? "Natural" stools that are brown liquid?

Hmm..
well the "natural" stools you get feeding kibble are mostly entirely made up of filler. But yes when my dogs get too much meat too often it gets a little loose. Big deal. I usually feed the meat and bones in the appropriate amounts that their stools are just fine. But that isn't even close to the point I was trying to make, but take it however you want.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatszmatter View Post
well the "natural" stools you get feeding kibble are mostly entirely made up of filler. But yes when my dogs get too much meat too often it gets a little loose. Big deal. I usually feed the meat and bones in the appropriate amounts that their stools are just fine. But that isn't even close to the point I was trying to make, but take it however you want.
Oh really? What are the fillers that I get in the natural stools with Herschel? Please enlighten me (seriously).
Old 04-18-2007, 03:59 PM
whatszmatter

what do you feed him?

ETA: not that the brand really matters, but most fillers are grains, then you get the used husks and stuff that are nothing more than waste products from breweries like Miller and Anheuser Busch. Those are some big ones, but there's others.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

Canidae All Life Stages:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement

Let me guess, you're going to say that "brown rice" and "white rice" are fillers?

By definition, neither of them contain husks. They are also a valuable source of carbohydrates--and the jury is still out on whether or not our dogs need primary carbohydrates for energy.

Brown rice:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21U2.html

White rice:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21Vm.html
Old 04-18-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Canidae is a great food. My dogs are on that now. We're still switching to raw because I am convinced it is even better. I trust my handler, she's paid to have dogs in top condition, so she takes it very very seriously. She's been handling and breeding for over 30 years, feeding raw for about 15.

I'm a proponent of 'feed whatever your dog does best on' method. For me, it looks like it's going to be raw.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
whatszmatter

well hersch since you have everything figured out, why exactly are you here asking questions? (seriously) just to be a smart ass? and you're right I am going to say rice is a filler a rather cheap one too, with hardly any benefit to our animals. Believe what you want. If you want to believe that most of the rice that "isn't a filler" is used by your dogs, great, I continue to believe that most of it gets deposited directly onto your's or someon else's lawn.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Fishies!

While I am not allowed to feed raw while I live at home...

If anyone was really worried about carbs wouldn't it be easy enough to add in some rice meant for humans? I tend to fall on the side that says its not that necessary, pending actual experience, but if that was the only thing between me and and raw, I might start cooking rice from a better supply line.

As for the Canidae, its pretty good as far as food goes. I think Alfalfa mean could be a filler, after all its grass. Then again, Buster keeps eating grass in the yard, and seems to digest it...

I'm not an experienced supermarket person, does anyone have a list real world terms for meat? Can I actually walk into a store and ask for chicken backs and oxtail? Chicken quarters seems simple enough though...