Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-18-2007, 01:38 PM
whatszmatter

The hair wrapped around bone thing doesn't sit with me either, since in the wild all the meat contents are eaten first, and a watery almost brown liquid stool is formed, then the bones are eaten, seperately.

Believe the scare tactics if you will. I would love for a vet to post the # of dogs dying or getting sick from salmonella, and I'll gladly post the number of dogs that have been affected by this latest recall and the aflotoxin recall last year in kibble.

BTW, salmonella is found in about 40***37; of ALL dogs regardless of what they're fed.

I've been feeding raw many years, the health of my dogs is testament enough for me. I raved like crazy before too cause it was so obvious the difference. The smell, the look, the body composition change, their teeth, their energy, the amount of crap in the yard, the ohh's and ahh's and statements like "I wish more dogs would come in this healthy" from various vets from Northern WI to Chicago is reason enough for me. I've never had an obstruction in any dogs, I've never taken them to the vet for anything other than to say hi and get rabies shots.

If you're too scared or nervous to feed RAW then don't. To me its so obvious that the less processed and more "real" a food is, the better. If you think kibble is nutritionally complete, i ask you a few questions

1- how often do animal nutritional needs change? I know human nutritionists change the guidlines for Us everytime they get together, who's to say they have it right for animals?

2- just how available is that "nutrition" in kibble, on the few occasions I've had to feed it, it seems like more comes out than goes in. It's mostly fillers and synthtic nutrients. I'd bet my life there's more nutrionally available to a dog in a chicken leg quarter than a comparable cup of kibble any day.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Top Dog

I would like to give Cheza some raw things now and again, although I am still too scared to try it. I'll do some reading though, because I think it would be a nice treat for her. I'm not sure if I would ever completely switch her over to raw though... I'm too much of a wuss for that.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

The problem with doing it that way Cheza is your dog never gets used to it. She'll get the runs, then you'll be discouraged. I'd recommend all or nothing if you do it or not.

Something like a raw marrow bone as a treat is fine though, as long as you monitor her and don't let her keep going if she's breaking off and eating chunks. She probably can't at her young age but for my Gunnar, he can crack through a pretty big bone so we have to watch him closely.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatszmatter View Post
The hair wrapped around bone thing doesn't sit with me either, since in the wild all the meat contents are eaten first, and a watery almost brown liquid stool is formed, then the bones are eaten, seperately.

Believe the scare tactics if you will. I would love for a vet to post the # of dogs dying or getting sick from salmonella, and I'll gladly post the number of dogs that have been affected by this latest recall and the aflotoxin recall last year in kibble.

BTW, salmonella is found in about 40% of ALL dogs regardless of what they're fed.

I've been feeding raw many years, the health of my dogs is testament enough for me. I raved like crazy before too cause it was so obvious the difference. The smell, the look, the body composition change, their teeth, their energy, the amount of crap in the yard, the ohh's and ahh's and statements like "I wish more dogs would come in this healthy" from various vets from Northern WI to Chicago is reason enough for me. I've never had an obstruction in any dogs, I've never taken them to the vet for anything other than to say hi and get rabies shots.

If you're too scared or nervous to feed RAW then don't. To me its so obvious that the less processed and more "real" a food is, the better. If you think kibble is nutritionally complete, i ask you a few questions

1- how often do animal nutritional needs change? I know human nutritionists change the guidlines for Us everytime they get together, who's to say they have it right for animals?

2- just how available is that "nutrition" in kibble, on the few occasions I've had to feed it, it seems like more comes out than goes in. It's mostly fillers and synthtic nutrients. I'd bet my life there's more nutrionally available to a dog in a chicken leg quarter than a comparable cup of kibble any day.

Gee. Forgive my transgression for questioning the Almighty Raw. I shall not make the mistake of doing so again.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Top Dog

Dan check your PMs in a sec, it just came to me that you're probably a very good person to ask for advice on this subject
Old 04-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Are you dead yet?

It's not a fad. There are some people out there that I call the food Nazis, who think nothing can be right unless it's done their way. I think they give off "crazy" vibes but the diet itself is quite reasonable and natural. Just like anything, dogs do better on fresh, biologically appropriate (meat) food.

I wouldn't be surprised if vets pulled pieces of bone out of the stomach of a raw fed dog. After all, that's what the dog *eats*. By the time they leave the body the bones are usually completely digested or broken down into something smooshy. When I do yard cleanup I don't find shards of bone anywhere - the most I've found was a soft bit of bone in the puppy's poo (TMI). It was my fault, she bit off a piece of a rib bone.. i have no idea how, with her tiny teeth and jaws.

It all depends on what you feel comfortable with. I've been feeding raw (switching between all-raw and raw with kibble) for about 3 years. I take a pretty relaxed approach to feeding the dogs and I've noticed an improvement since I've started doing what I feel comfortable with. I toss them various bits of meat and bones, and aim for balance in their diet over a period of about a month. So if I give them a really boney meal (poultry necks, for example) one day, I'll make sure to feed a bit less bone for the rest of the week. Same goes for organ meat. If they get a lot of tripe/liver/kidney one week, they will get less in following weeks. I tend to follow the prey model, so basically I think about what proportions a small prey animal and a large prey animal are made of (edible bone, fat, meat, organs) and balance between the two.

With this puppy I'm being more nit-picky and probably should just feed kibble until she's done growing, but I'm not comfortable with kibble at all anymore. I'm going to buy my last two bags of Natura products (EVO and California Natural) and those should last me a couple months until we can figure out what's going on with the pet food industry.

There's certainly a risk with feeding raw but there's a risk to feeding kibble too - and nowadays it seems like there's a HUGE risk to feeding kibble. I'm more comfortable with feeding a raw diet at this point than I am with feeding kibble.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

I feed Wrigley raw snacks when I am cooking and he is a kibble eater and does fine (generally a small piece of steak, burger, chicken, pork ect) and he does just fine. I am now considering raw/home cooked or a combination there of. I have no problem with my dogs eating raw meat but I think for little Honey I would have to give her ground up meat and small bit of veggies as her mouth is so freaking small! If I gave her a chicken wing I don't think she'd know what to do with it--and it would take her 10 hours to eat it. Right now it takes her 10 seconds to eat 1 piece of kibble LOL
Old 04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm All Ears

The toy handlers I know have the butcherers grind up the meat they want to feed as well. That might be an option for your little one, I don't know.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatszmatter View Post
So is that the goal we should aim for? "Natural" stools that are brown liquid?

Hmm..
Old 04-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Rebel With Cause

Am I wrong here ? And Dan you may be the one to answer this but when feeding raw I also have noticed that you all seem to add supplements to their diets am I correct ? I am in no way picking at bones pardon the pun if I am to learn then I have to ask right ? This is another thing that makes me question how it is 100 ***37; wholesome as I am told. I do not feed kibble at all now my dogs get homemade. I felt that was the best answer to their needs and yes I do add vitamins to their diets. They do get raw veggies and fruit though lol.