Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 05-12-2005, 03:38 PM
woof!

Default A change in the rottwailer FCI standar

Good news!!
In the FCI has forbidend to cut the tail in the rottweiler, now the rott. show whit they tail intact, but the dog who they tails have being cuted before this are still alowded to show.

See:
TAIL : In natural condition, level in extension of the upper line; at ease may be hanging.

Whit they tail intact resembles the aGreat swiss mointaing dog.

I hope the AKC can do this too, but is difficult 'cause they idenpendence.

FCI rottwailer standar http://www.fci.be/uploaded_files/147gb2000_en.doc
Old 05-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

That's great news!! I hope the akc will follow along too!!
Thanks for sharin!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Well, I'm not jumping for joy at the news. lol I prefer the Rotties to have a docked tail. I just can't help thinking: If people start focusing on the tail now, will the head or movement or whatever be thrown of balance? Rotties had a docked tail when they were first "created". It is part of their history. I don't see why we need to change that now since breeding is about preserving the breed.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:58 AM
no touchy

I liked the look of docked Rotties too....I've seen them without being docked, and I'd own a Rottweiler that wasn't docked, but I like the docked look.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Top Dog

I'm not jumping for joy either. The docked tail is docked for reasons other than purely looks. It's the same with the Doberman. The dog needs to be free of hanging apendages that serve as handles to grab and injured or getting in the way of the work they are bred to do. They were meant to be a dog with a compact, atheletic, unfettered, all-in-one body. Docking causes no pain when done at the typical age of 3 or 4 days old before the nervous system detects pain in that area. They do not "miss" having a tail. Their body language is not disrupted by having a short tail. It's ridiculous for any government to get involved. This is not a political issue, so what's up with all this nonsense?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Top Dog

I can't believie they did that. The crop is there for a reason and should especially be there in show and working dogs. I worry about them doing things like this with the dobe too!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Stanna

Looks wise yeah, i think i would prefer docked tails. buuuut...

I'm not familiar with the full story behind it, so feel free to totally ignore my opinion , but my understanding is they can feel ghost pains their whole life. Does the 3-4 days docking prevent this? Are people good about following that guideline, for real?

I'd have to say I'd rather play it safe and not dock. As far as function etc, i understand small details can make a difference, but still. Some 'dog fighters' cut off their dogs ears...totally..not just a bit..to make them better at what they do. So I don't think our chosen theoretical function for the dog alone makes mutilation justifiable. It's not like it's passed on generation to generation, any ways. If a smaller tail is desired, breed for it, just like other characteristics.

If someone's really using their dogs for their intended jobs, and it's legit, necessary, and it is a crucial procedure for that lifestyle, I suppose I wouldn't really object as much.

What i don't like though is un voluntary mutilation for vanity. I don't even think babies should get pierced ears until they make the decision themselves, when they are older, so i might be a bit overly biased here
Old 05-13-2005, 12:20 PM
woof!

Well in europe many countries are in a debate of banning the tail/ears trim, in egland is forbidden to cut ears of ANY breed, and it looks like germany will be next.

Here pics of rott whit tails:

Old 05-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
but my understanding is they can feel ghost pains their whole life. Does the 3-4 days docking prevent this? Are people good about following that guideline, for real?
How could they feel ghost pains when the tail was removed (simple procedure) prior to the central nervous system developing. There are no brain or spinal pathways which have received the message that the tail was there and then not there.

It is the norm and reputable breeders dock at that 3 or 4 day age.

Why can't they breed for it? It's a huge task to breed for all the other things that good breeders strive for....good conformation, eliminating or lessening all the many health problems that are inherent in a particular breed, good temperament. Do you know what a monumental challenge that is? Now, how could breeders possibly find all the best of those attributes in a pair of dogs and find ones which happen to have slightly shorter tails or fewer tail vertabrae (a 1 in a kazillion chance) in order to breed for a stub tail? Not practical and probably not possible. Docking is not cruel, painful, psychologically damaging or anything else that uninformed people think is negative.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
MIiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
Docking is not cruel, painful, psychologically damaging or anything else that uninformed people think is negative.
I'm not knocking the docking if there is function to it AND it's done in an appropriate manner (ie, 3-4 days etc...). However, all you need to do is look at the number of uninformed people who get hold of a dog and attempt the do-it-yourself docking with an elastic band past the age docking should occur. The fact of the matter is some people are, shall we say 'one brick shy a load' - and it's those people who you have to account for.

Another point to look at is that if docking is not needed, why bother? I see no reason to doc a tail if the only work a rottie is going to do is go for a walk or play fetch.

Personally, I don't think rotties with full-length tails look any less handsome than those who have docked tails - but I'm sure it's a matter of what you're used to.