english and american cockers

I just curius, besides the fisical diferences on the english and american cockers; how differnt are on Temperament and health problems?

I only have met english ones almost all my family have or had one , and they are lovely!!

But I only have seen two american in person, sadly I know very little about them. :(

My granma had one english cocker that was 1/4 basset, he had the long body, eyes and short legs, but everything else was cocker :D

My fav color of the two types is the white/ black particolor.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
English are harder to come by and have very few health issues predisposed to the breed. American's have a load of health issues.

Both should be even tempered and sweet though. American's come in more coat colours..

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
if this were a perfect world and all breeders were equal the ONLY differences between english and american cockers would be thei size and headshape.

However.

this isnt a perfect world.

Here in the US the english cocker seems to have not even closely caught on the popularity of the american cocker, this in itself has termed the biggest difference because the popularity of the american cocker has bred a slew of ack yard breeders ommitting health and temperment tested. Because of that the average american cocker is more likely to bite than the average english cocker in the US. this however is 100% due to that slew of bad breeders making a quick buck of a popular breed and by nature the cocker should NOT be snippy or visious in any way shape or form.

However in the UK when i was there at least you NEVER saw american cockers (least in our area) and english cockers are popular, so you get those same back yard breeders breeding unscrupulously.
With english cockers the "saying" goes that solid coloured cockers are more likely to bite than parties or roans...
this seems to prove true, but again only in backyard and badlybred dogs.

So it realy depends on where you are.
Again in a perfect world there should be NO differences in the 2 other than size/look.

hope this helps.

We personally had an english cocker and now have an english x american, personally we prefer the english who generally seem to have a softer temperment than the amreicans.
But both...if bred properly should be fairly sound very sweet natured dogs. "merry" is the word the standard uses to describe both!

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
English are harder to come by and have very few health issues predisposed to the breed.
Depends entirely on what country you're in. Here in Australia you could be forgiven for thinking American Cocker Spaniels don't exist. lol ;)

English are just lovely, I've grown to really adore spaniels in the last few years and English Cockers are one of my favourites. :D I've never actually met an American Cocker. Seen a few very, very briefly at dog shows but never really gotten close.

Cass.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Ahh.. I only know what it's like in north america..
Haven't looked into other countries.

Briefly considered english, but I'd like a pair of cockers that are as alike as possible since I finally found a great breeder.

Members online