Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Active Pup

Red face How many of you.....

...have had people ask what breed your dog is and when you tell them, they say: "it doesn't look like one" or "no it's not" ?

When Baby (great dane) was young people always asked if she was a weimaraner. SOOOOOO many people thought she was... but no, she is a BLue Great Dane lol. different head shape, size, and leg structure ..

People always Ask if Tikeya is a Wolf or a Malamute... ok she doesnt even look like a Mal, considering Mals dont have Blue eyes and she is Tiny.
And when people ask if she is a wolf, I laugh. A wolf?? omg If I have yet to see a wolf look like a siberian husky.. they look more like GSD's...

silly people.

Watch out where thoughs huskies go, and dont you eat that yellow snow
Old 05-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Top Dog

I can relate, I have a solid black german shepherd, and before his ears came up they all would say what a cute lab puppy he was, when I replied he was a GSD, they'd be like "He doesn't look like any GSD I've ever seen!"

Old 05-19-2005, 01:20 AM
Island dweller

Oh all the time.

People always think Mav is a lab. Jamie thinks Nanook has Rottie in her. People are convinced that Mikey is a purebred pit bull. But to be fair they are all mutts and I'm pretty sure Mav does have a little lab in him. The others... who knows!
Old 05-19-2005, 03:19 AM
Are you dead yet?

Both of my boys look quite a bit like their breeds, it's hard to mistake Ripley for anything but a Papillon if you have ever seen one. I have had many non-dog people ask me if he is a long-haired chi, but other than that, nope.

Dakota, as a puppy, looked like a mutt at first glance. I had many people stop me in the store and ask "What mix is he?"!!! LOL! People thought he was like a pom mix or something weird like that.

Shiner looked quite a bit like a labrador retriever, and most would have passed her off as a purebred lab... So, everyone called her a labrador. (Except for one person who called her a Pit Bull... What the heck? She looked nothing like a pit.)

Buster usually gets passed off as a lab, golden retriever, or sighthound depending on his coat length at the time. (He is shaved down monthly)
Old 05-19-2005, 07:05 AM
Don't encourage me..

A woman stopped my mum the other day because her little girl wanted to pet mums English Springer Spaniel Barley, the little Girl asked her mummy what sort of dog is it and her mum said........ DALMATION!!!! My mum just started laughing!
I mean, a Dalmation! He is spotty but he is also very much a Springer Spaniel!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 05-19-2005, 07:21 AM
user not active

I actually send people off you know where...

After 2 years of people asking me if it was a chowXgsd mix.. when its 40-100 pounds heavier then either pisses me off. Every day this happens..

Especially the morons who go out of their way to get in my way and ask their dumb ass questions. This applies only to real world.

Things we've been called:

Chow, GSD, Wolf, Husky, a Mastiff or just a Mutt and any mix you can think of involving those 5 and others...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Felurian

No one has a clue what a Fila Brasiliero is, except for the Hispanic population around here. They know. When I have the grrrrrls out with me the Hispanics will look at them, smile at me, keeping a respectful distance and tell me I have "the good dogs." Sometimes people start to ask if they're bloodhounds, but then realize they don't actually look like bloodhounds, get confused and ask me what kind of dog IS that?

When we had our Buffy, our first Fila, a couple of good ol' boys came up to the farm to talk to Charley about buying some old tractor parts. Buffy did her normal thing, and quickly had them standing in the bed of their truck. Charley told them they could get down, but they preferred the dubious safety of the truck bed.

One of them just kept looking at Buffy - well, to be fair, they were BOTH keeping a pretty close eye on her, lol! But the one who had just come along for the ride was really watching her closely. He asked Charley what kind of dog she was, and Charley explained what she was and that she was a herd dog but had also been bred to hunt jaguar and wild boar. This fella just kept watching and watching, every minute or two exclaiming, "That's the biggest G*D* hound I've ever seen in my life!" Didn't matter that Charley told him a couple of times that she wasn't a hound, he just kept repeating it over and over, kind of like someone in shock.

Buffy, of course, being Buffy, thoroughly enjoyed the encounter.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Border Collies R' Us

People never believe me that my new pup is full Border Collie. For one, she's a tri-colored pup and no one seems to realize that BC's don't only come in black n' white. For two, she curls her tail up over her back LOL......Don't know why but every one always tells me she must have chow in her. Umm...no shes an ABCA registered BC lol
Old 05-19-2005, 09:34 AM
MIiA

Jake is continually mistaken for a rottie. Even my family (mother, sister, etc...) believe he's a rottie - contrary to anything I say. And it's based on his colouration (from the ACD part of the mix) and the fact he has the body shape of a lab. However, it just supports the idea that everyone's a dog-breed expert when it comes to dogs they know nothing about.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Love my pets

The other day we took CJ & Max out for a walk since Kona didn't want to go. As we walked around the block, a little girl opened up the front door and kept yelling to her family "come see the horsie, it's a horsie". Now Max has been called a little pony as a joke, but this was the first time I heard him called a horse. It's was so cute coming from a little girl.

On the same walk, we were passing some boys on bikes and the one said "oh my god, look at that big dog". It amazes us because we are just used to Max's size. He's 34" at the withers and it's normal to us. I don't even think of him as big anymore.