Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Puppy Dog

Glad to hear things went well. We had our Great Dane neutered a couple months ago. He was exhausted & barely made it to his bed to pass out when we arrived back home! My husband laid with him on his pillow & fell asleep. I believe I have that picture in the Gallery. If not, I'll upload it soon. Have a great week.........

Unique Pet Beds
Old 07-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Felurian

Hi, Ruth27 ~

How are you recovering from Saturday's ordeal? How's your little fellow doing?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Hi Ruth27...how did your puppy do with the whole neutering experience? Is the little guy more spry than before? I was just wondering...sorry it took me so long to ask this though.

Beth
Old 08-02-2004, 06:45 AM

I've been reading this with great interest. I'm calling today to make an appointment for my Hammie to be neutered, and I've been fretting that he would be different. I just didn't want to think of him changed. And, I love that he is so protective. He steps out in front of Addie and I when someone is coming.....I always think it's kinda funny, like he's saying 'I'll handle this, girls'. BUT......I have the worse fear that he will run off in search of a female and be hit by a car or end up lost. Also wouldn't want him responsible for someone's unwanted puppies. I have just been so afraid it would somehow change his 'spirit'.....or the wonderful distinct 'maleness' of him.....if that makes any sense at all??? I feel better after reading the posts.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Puppy Dog

Smile Hi Debi

Little Hammie will do wonderfully. I have Dexter who still does the brave "I'll handle this" a lot even after being neutered~! It is wonderful to see he has nothing changed, actually he seems happier not to have that bumping his legs and all when he runs and things. Although, humor here, everytime he goes to the vet he loves to say hello to the girls first and get loved up, and then he starts toward the back of the bldg as if to say once i came in here with something and it is gone did you find them? Even though he was too young to really remember that at all.

Keep me posted on Hammie, I know he will be fine!

Beth
Old 08-02-2004, 08:06 PM

what exactly do they do during the surgery??? Is it just like a vasectomy for a man???? will he still have all his 'parts'.........lol
Old 08-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Are you dead yet?

Debi, the surgery is fairly simple. (I've watched it done at the vet's office countless times) He will be missing two "Parts" after the sugery is over. The recovery time is not nearly that of what a Spay would be, and he should be back to his old self within a few days.

As for the temperament changing... Um, I'd say it depends on the dog. If you have a dog that 'thinks with his testosterone', then YES neutering will change his personality. He'll be more focused on YOU, and not on sniffing for females in heat. He won't be as distant and he'll possibly gain weight if he's not super-active.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Top Dog

Its great that you're getting your dog fixed. Its very unfortunate that people don't really care about fixing their pets in your country since it aids in the overpopulation of unwanted, neglected, and abused pets that end up on the streets and simply in the wrong hands...but anyways..I'm glad that you made this important decision and I'm sure your dog will be absolutely fine. Both of my dogs are fixed and I never have to worry about any spotting from my female pit bull or agitation from my chihuahua...

Support neutering and spaying everyone ...
Old 08-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Hello Debi,

Dexter was castrated. His sac was emptied and it shrivled up. All other parts are there. Trust me every once in a while they do the "dance" on your leg and things, they still think and believe they can just nothing comes of it. I know it sounds disgusting but it also prevents cancer there!

Beth
Old 08-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Puppy Dog

My pit pup was neutered recently, too. She's almost 9wks now.. (this friday) and its VERY hard to keep her from running and playing. I just love seeing her happy and she HATES the cone we have to put on her and the cage. =( It's for her own good. I want the incision to heal right.