Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Default Home cooking question

I have just moved my Toy Pom from RC dry food to home cooking. She has been getting two meals a day of home cooked now for two days. She loves it is my first observation, my second is, this morning I checked her poop and it was a little loose and yellow. I know they take time to adjust to new food and it shows in what they put out.

My question is, will her poop ever be as firm and small as it was when she was on RC or will she continue with a slightly larger and looser stool?

So far she has had white rice and grilled angel fish with raw egg for breakfast twice. One dinner was rolled oats, chicken breast and liver with veggies. The next dinner was sweet potatoe with chicken breast, liver and raw ostrich mince and a little whole milk. This morning she had chicken, crushed barley, and brocolli. She will be getting a calcium and vitamin supplement once a week just to make sure she gets all she needs.

I have also purchased some chicken necks and some lovely home made cooked dog food which you just defrost, warm and serve. It only contains whole muscle and organ meat.

How am I doing so far? I am just tired of being worried about preservatives and chemicals.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Guess I won't be getting any help here. I will mosy off to where I will.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:00 AM
BusterLove

sorry. it takes a while for people to reply sometimes.
if yur still around to read this.

that diet seem spretty healthy to me. we home cook our dog food sometimes. and pasta is another good thing to add.
you might want to continue giving her a few biscuits every day just to give her some roughage in her diet.

the other thing is. make sure there are some raw bones atleast once a week in her diet. they help clean teeth and keep mouths healthy. chicken necks and chicken wings are cheap. you can also buy lamb offcuts or soup bones. but soup bones are pretty tough so if she's likley to bite to hard then avoid too tough bones because they could hurt her teeth. keep with chicken thighs, necks, wings. or turkey necks for that matter.

our dogs get bones every day and biscuits every mornign

different dogs react to different foods in different ways. remember that. and i'm not dog nutritionist. just doing my best to help

Old 04-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Top Dog

You posted at 3:54 a.m. (my time) and expected a response by 8:19 a.m.?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

You posted at 1:54AM my time and then got huffy at 6:19AM. Give people time to answer your question.

Go to www.betterdogcare.com and do a consult with Mordy- she is a nutritionist and will be able to help you.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:05 PM
overdogged

i would be very concerned about the calcium/phosphorus balance. meat is high in phosphorus. it needs to be balanced out by the appropriate amount of calcium (thus, why raw feeders feed meat AND bone) or you risk frying your dog's kidneys.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I was definately asleep when you posted this question. Sorry that some of us don't have a Chaz alarm that sets off when new posts are made in the middle of the night...

I would also be concerned about how nutritionally balanced your diet is... I would consult Mordy as well. If I were to go the 'home cooked' route, I would pay for a consultation from her.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep