Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-02-2004, 01:32 PM

Default smelly dog...oh dear.. SMELLY dog....

OK..so I let Addie romp into the woods..her favorite thing. WELL...she came back and STINKS so bad. Not like a skunk....like as if she rolled in manure. OH......is that something normal they do????? My sweet little girl smells like major manure...............bath time tomorrow......she can't even come into the house..and that makes me so sad. But, my question.....have you ever heard of such a thing?????? Is this 'normal'.............We live by farms..so the manure would be easy. We'll probably bathe her only to have her go roll in manure again........GEEZ. Addie is in the bark mode again at night. I listened...there is SOMETHING in the woods that even I can't determine..never heard this 'noise' before..................is it gonna be a long summer.........or what??
Old 07-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Default hi

hi when my dog goes out he smells a bit but my mates dog always rolls in fox do and it horried and her dog follows you around like somethings wrong! Bless him any way just bath her and she will be back to the way she was!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

You should be careful if you live on a farm and are leaving your dog outside. Sometimes there are coyotes or wolves nearby..at least where I used to live..and there were always warnings not to let your pets stay outside because they ended up being attacked and mauled to death by wild animals so be careful about that.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Felurian

What Pitbulliest said! Double! Coyotes are becoming rampant in virtually every part of the continental U.S. They will pack up and kill dogs, especially during the cold months and at this time of year when they have pups to feed. Don't be fooled into thinking that a fence protects your dogs, either. One of the farmers on the road behind us almost lost his Rottie that way - from a chain link kennel! Hammie and Addie may need to learn to enjoy sleeping in the garage if they can't be trusted in the house at night, or perhaps in a circumscribed area of the house.

Make sure Addie and Hammie aren't out loose at dusk or early dawn.

Yep, Addie's probably rolling in manure, or if she really hit the jackpot, she's found some nice, fresh afterbirth to eat and then roll in. EEEEYUCK! Guess how I know? Bimmer doesn't roll in it, but the girls do from time to time, although they've been kind enough not to roll in any fresh, squishy manure. They do love to get into the mud though, and farm mud isn't necessarily created by water, if you get my drift. They're getting resigned to being hosed off while standing in their wading pool. While it's a nasty, smelly habit, it's completely normal. Nothing to worry about, just keep the hose handy!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:13 PM

I live in the country....... I ALWAYS worry when Addie runs into the woods. We seldom have cars.............but it is the occasional car that I worry about. Anyway.............about the smell..........OMG..it is BAD!!!!! She is so getting a bath tomorrow!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:29 PM

Ok, you are gonna all think I've lost it..........but last night Addie was in a rage again..........barking...........it was horrible..about 3 AM this morning. She hears SOMETHING...and I have put my ear to the open window...listened for more than half an hour. I HEAR SOMETHING STRANGE, TOO. Geez...........I can't explain it..........not a hawk, not deer, not turkey. It is freakin me out...........only cause Addie is soooooooooooo crying,
Old 07-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Puppy Dog

When loose you never know what they might run through. Did you find out what the animal was you were hearing. I'd have to start using a leash. Let us know!

Unique Pet Beds
Old 07-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Big Dog

sounds creepy to me!!! i'm going with the coyote thing... anyways let us know if you find out!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Felurian

What part of the country are you in? That will give us more of an idea what might be out there. Some animals are everywhere, like the ubiquitous raccoon, the nefarious coyote, if you're south of the Mason/Dixon line there's Brer Possum, various and sundry cousins of Brother Bear are found almost everywhere, as are groundhogs and badgers. In the immortal words of Dorothy, "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" And of course, if you've wandered over into Wonderland you must beware the Jabberwock and the frumious Bandersnatch! Or it could be a terrible Heffalump or a Woozle, Pooh!

I haven't begun to exhaust my arcana of childhood literary references, but I will stop, even though I'm having oodles of fun (did I really just write that?).

I'm not making fun of you at all, Debi; I did think you could use a good giggle, and after you've lost another night's sleep you should be in a proper state of altered consciousness to really have a good, long giggling spell.

Seriously, call your state Wildlife Resources agency. There's generally one in each county in most states. They should be able to tell you what's likely to be lurking out there. Until you find out, though, I'd try and curtail Addie's safaris and bring the dogs in at night. Both of them, since a lone dog is terribly vulnerable.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Alpha Dog

Could be a wild boar... they were in our woods.

Chazhound