Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Top Dog

It sucks I agree though, if the litter was an accident he probably didn't test his dogs for diseases and just wants to get rid of the litter. It's probably why they are cheap. It's up to you though, if you are willing to take the risk or not.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Well the book I read, "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs, Dog Breeds, and Dog care" by Dr. PeterLarkmin (He's a very reputable....Dog...Doctor... person... well, I dont know what he is now but he used to be a very skilled veterinarian), said the minimum is 6 Weeks, but it is recommended to get a dog that is 8 weeks old. So the dog won't die, or whatever, but it's best to wait 8 weeks.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Big German Shepherd

Despite what a lot of people said, I believe there is nothing wrong with getting a dog that's six weeks old... but nothing less than that.

He bonds with YOU more. The only problem with this is that they have a little more nipping problems.

My advice, go for it.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:20 PM
no touchy

Just to let you know, LEA already has her pup. A JRT/Pomeranian mix named Poe, if I'm correct.

While you can get a pup at six weeks doesn't mean you should. They need to be with their mother and littermates at that time. In many places you can get four week old puppies, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

Well I should have shut up because the pup I'm getting on Saturday wasn't with his mom for 8 weeks either.. But I guess it's a bit different because he's a rescue and the owners just put him in a shelter at 6 weeks I think

Anyway, how is the pup going?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Playful Pup

Wow, a puppy at 6 weeks in the pound? Amazing. Almost all the dogs at my dog park are rescues, and my dog Niki loves them all! She loves to see her friends. I got her though when she was 3 month old.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Playful Pup

A little late.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

my puppys actually doing fine, i wouldnt recommend getting them at 6 weeks though , u guys r right. he really isnt that bad he sleeps with me and is totally adorable fine with small dogs, but is scared of big dogs and people he first meets usually barks at them. i am taking him to pup school in summer so all should be well. thanks gaddylove dogs for updating for me
Old 06-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA
her two dogs weren't neutered and had it.
She calls herself a breeder?? With that i don't think so. I would'nt get the pup JUST because its cute. ALL puppies are cute. Even coatless pups are. Think about it. Really. You'll have problems in the future. Definately. Most probably with other dogs and strangers. Think about it
Old 06-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Rusty but Trusty

My lab puppy was cheap and both her parents were tested for hip dysplasia and blindness. The puppy was probably cheap because it is mixed and it's not going to be able to be in shows. My puppy was cheap because (although a purebreed) she will not be able to be in shows because she is not show quality. you can just tell she wouldn't make a good showdog she doesn't have what it takes (but that doesn't mean she's not an excellent pet).