Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

It all has to do with the breeder. They used to be the exact same dogs and they still are to a point. Staff's tend to have a more uniform look to them while APBT's come in all shapes and sizes but still fit within the standards required.

If temperament is part of a breeders program, as it should be, you will find little difference between them as far as how they are with people.

If a Staff breeder is breeding to show only (conformation), and an APBT breeder is breeding for working dogs (weight pull), but both are breeding for good temperament (important) the only difference you MAY find is in their drive to work.

The separation comes in to play a little more intensely if the Staff breeder is working on removing DA from their stock and the APBT breeder is not, or the other way around. Then you may find the ones breeding out the DA are more mellow around other dogs. But both will still be quite similar in all aspects if they are raised properly.

I don't know as much about the Staffy circuit but DA is not considered a fault in the APBT. Is it a fault in Staffs?

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
I don't know as much about the Staffy circuit but DA is not considered a fault in the APBT. Is it a fault in Staffs?
Its not a fault but is considered a bad thing.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
overdogged

the akc standard does not mention dog aggression at all, either way, in their standard. i'm not sure who exactly considers it "a bad thing" when the staffordshire terrier club of america doesn't find it important enough to mention in the standard.

the ukc standard makes mention of it but does not consider it a fault or a desirable thing. it just is what it is. they do list viciousness and extreme shyness as disqualifications, which i very much appreciate.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i'm not sure who exactly considers it "a bad thing" when the staffordshire terrier club of america doesn't find it important enough to mention in the standard.

That is why I said it isn't a fault, but if you talk to most breeders they would like to see DA become a thing of the past. Both for PR reasons and functionality.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Dafuq?

I think they would prefer to see the DA gone because its easier to handle dogs without it. Also, the drive of most AmStaff people has been to move away from the past, so I don't think they want any glaring reminders of the breed's history as a fighting dog.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 PM
overdogged

i think their drive is to move away from drive, period. but i guess that's not nice of me to think. it's just a shame that of all the things that this breed is, dog-aggression is the one that gets the most focus.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

You can have drive without DA
Old 04-12-2007, 08:36 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

I wouldn't have a dog without drive. That is what makes these breeds. And yes you can have drive without DA. Magnus is a perfect example of that.