Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Default Bad Beagle

My Beagle, Minnie has all the usual Beagle characteristics. She is sweet, endearing, and creativly destructive. Today she didn't get enough exersize due to the noreaster and has chewed up an amazing amount iof stuff, some of which I don't know how she got.

I tried to take them out to exersize, but they looked at me like I had gone insane. I threw the tennis ball, and they looked at each other and then at me. You could see what they were thinking, "Is she crazy, can't she see it's pouring rain?" Then they turned their backs on me.

Anyway, she is a delightful, but bad little Beagle. She's something like eleven months old and has never received any training. Details can be found in introductions section under "hounds" We are using a crate and have started teaching some basics, but any advice on how to live with an untrained Beagle would be much appreciated.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Water Junkie

Umm, Live with an Untrained Beagle? That's really not possible for any dog, let alone a beagle.

I would suggest Basic Training Classes ASAP.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-15-2007, 06:58 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

My first thought: there is no 'bad puppy' it's bad human. This is all your dog knows to do, chew things, therefore that is what she will do .

Second, train her.

Third, do not allow her to get into things that she should not be getting into. When she does, immediately redirect her to something that she should be playing with.

I'm sure others will have more advice. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:00 PM
swimming upstream

I would suggest basic obedience classes (think I mentioned this in a previous post)--it will go a loooooong way for you and your children to learn how to deal with Minnie consistently. she is young--just like a toddler, and needs to be watched, and given consistent feedback for both desired and undesired behaviors. If you are having a hard time keeping track of her activities in the house, put her on a leash and have her next to you, or leash her TO you--you would be amazed at the number of opportunities there are for training and reinforcing when the dog is right next to you! I would seriously look into obedience classes.
In the interim--if she is a chewer, give her kong filled with something that will take her awhile to eat--frozen peanut butter, frozen cottage cheese, etc.
Beagles love to sniff things out--set up some games in the house for her--hide a treat under something safe, and let her hunt for it.
Good luck!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I know she isn't really a bad beagle, it's just so nicely alliterative. Training is underway. The Kong idea is a good one. I'm just looking for special tips from people who have dealt with Beagles. I have had all kinds of terriers, but never a Beagle.

Please note that she has only been with us for two weeks. It wasn't my idea not to train her. We are performing Beagle rehab. I am hoping I have some unchewed possessions left once she is trained.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:19 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Good luck with her.

Keep her supervised at all times and you will not lose any more possessions to her chewing.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Supervising. At least she's not sneaky, ahe just grabs things right in front of you. The first night she was here, my three year old was standing up, eating a pot sticker and Minnie took a flying leap and grabbed it right from her mouth. Very athletic.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:39 PM
swimming upstream

I will preface this with I am not a trainer--however, I have owned five dogs across the span of my life--two of them being beagles. The little guy in my avatar is part beagle--beagles liiiive to sniff and eat! That's why I suggested having her leashed to you--have some little treats (I mean tiny -so you don't overfeed) and use these to motivate her attention to you, to sit on request,ect. Beyond that, your obedience class will have some ideas--but right now it sounds like you are in the "redirect, keep in check mode"!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Big Dog

Try clicker training and using food as a reward. You can use small pieces of cheese or cooked meat (like hot dogs, beef or chicken).

http://www.clickertrainusa.com
http://www.clickerlessons.com
Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Perhaps if you posted more specific questions on behaviors you would like to change or avoid, we could give you better advice

For the food stealing, I'd suggest puppy-proofing and the kong as well. Since you said she does it right in front of you, a command I find really useful and I suggest it to everyong, try teaching "leave it"
ex.
Quote:
"Leave It" is one of the most important things you can teach your dog.
It could save your dog from eating something that could hurt him.
"Leave It" means don't touch.
With a command like "Leave It" , it is best to plan your teaching session.
This means that you decide when you are going to teach it to your dog.
First find 2 treats that your dog likes. Then take the treats and your dog over to a place
on the floor or to a low table like a coffee table.
Put one treat in your pocket and set the other on the floor or table right in front of your dog's nose.
As you set this treat down, you'll notice that your dog is staring at it and drooling.
As you set it down, say, "Leeeave It" very slowly and firmly, but in a normal voice.
Keep your hand right there. If your dog leans in to get it, just cover it with your hand
and repeat, "Leave It"
Wait just a few seconds, then grab the treat and praise your dog wildly telling him
what a good dog he is. Then, give him the second treat you have brought as a reward.
Don't give him the food he is learning on.
Repeat this game several times a day, just for a few minutes. As your dog starts to understand
what "Leave It" means, you may begin to move your hand away just a little bit farther each time.
Eventually, you should be able to leave a treat on the table, sit in your chair, and be able to trust
that your dog will leave it alone.
HTH

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o