feed less with premium foods?

shazbot

not so newby
So I got one of my friends to switch from Iams to Canidae. I was under the impression that you feed less food on premium than you do junk foods. So I asked my friend how much she cut down. She told me that both bags of food recommended the same amount for the same size dog. Why is this? Is it really a misconception that you feed less? I'm confused now...

Brattina88

Well Iams (lamb and rice) is 324.15 kcal per cup and Canidae (lamb and rice) is 457kcal per cup, so mathematically speaking she should be feeding a little less. Remember that the recommended amount on the back of bags are only a starting suggestion, and it should be adjusted for the individual dog's needs. :)

Herschel

Canidae suggests that we feed Herschel 1 cup per day.

He is extremely, extremely active and we feed 2/3 cup/day and it perfectly maintains his shape while giving him the energy he needs.

Sometimes the bag feeding guidelines are a little big exaggerated. As Brattina suggested, stick with the number of kcals.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
According to Brattina's findings of cals/cup, your friend should be feeding a lot less. Recommendations on the bag are not always the way to go, IMO. You have to do what is right for your dog. :)

daaqa

lurking near the surface
i remember reading on the eagle pack site that you will likely feed your dog the same for the first 30-60 days, and then the dog will naturally start eating less because those first month or two the dog has to catch up on nutrients it's been lacking. or something.

shazbot

not so newby
I'm just curious about this. I feed Canidae...but we were both confused as we know the feeding amount on the bag is a recommended amount, but both had the same feeding amounts listed. I just figured that due to Canidae having a larger Kcal per cup that it would recommend less amounts...thanks for the replies :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Canidae's feeding amounts seem a little high to me. If I try to feed my dogs the lowest amount listed, they still don't finish it. (This is in two meals a day) I talked to the girl at the feed store and she says that she believes the recommended amount is too high as well.

Love That Collie

Owned by 2 Rough Collies
I feed Canidae and I have a 76 lbs dog who eats 2-2/3 cups to 3-1/4 cups a day but feeding also depends sometimes on the breed of dog. Collie's do not eat as much as some of their same weight counterparts, different breed of dog weighing the same amount. I have never had a Collie that ate more than 3 or 4 cups a day. The Canidae bag states that my 76 pounder should eat 2-3 cups a day, it's just a starting point as to the amounts on the packaging. I haven't really found that they eat a whole lot less on premium dog foods but I have found that the output is WAY less which means less pooper scooping and their bodies use more of the nutrients in the better foods.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Ruckus isnt fat, or skinny, but on the bag of natural balance i feed says he would eat 2 and 1/2 cups minimun. and i JUST feed one and a half cups.

Members online

No members online now.