Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
I knew loose skin in general was for protection but I always wonder why the loose skin around the lips. I suppose if a dog is grabbed in the face it would give them more "wiggle" room.

I also read that in some breeds like the Bloodhound the lip skin waving back and forth stir up scent particles.
I've watched mine use that "wiggle room" in play. They are more than willing to engage jaws, but if one misses and just gets jowls, she pays the price, lol! Kharma is "jowlier' than Shiva, and has a big advantage at this game.

Interestingly, in regard to your second paragraph, Kharma is also the superior tracker of the two.

It's very interesting to be able to observe this kind of stuff first hand

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
I am convinced it was put there so that people like me can grab it and shake it around whilst making baby noises and kissing their nose.
lol I like that response!
Old 04-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Are you dead yet?

I do think in some cases it's a defense thing. Most livestock guardian breeds that I've met do have some "give" to their lips, though they don't droop like that of the mastiff. My border collies, in comparison, have really tight, firm lips and if they were to be grabbed by another animal there, they'd be stuck. Heck, even dogs like a Doberman would be hard pressed to defend themselves against another animal considering their tight skin.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Top Dog

I agree that in defense against another animals teeth loose skin gives a dog room to manuver. Even if the other animal is latched on the dog can twist around in its skin and attack.

RD from what I've read about Dobermans they seem to have been bred to defend their people against human attackers hence the tight skin, cropped ears etc. Theres nothiing on a Dobe for a person to grab onto
Old 04-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

I always thought it was for scent retention. My GSD has hanging lips like that and when he's tracking they spread open when his head is down. Likewise for a blood hound, with all the skin folds and all, it helps keep the scent. Not sure about Mastiffs though, are they commonly used for tracking?

They definitely help in playing with Daisy and her razor teeth, her favorite place to grab is the lip and it gives him room to manuver. Likewise, she's got the same thing going for her.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Felurian

Not many of the Mastiffs are typically used for tracking. The Fila is kind of an anomaly among the Mastiffs for a lot of reasons, lol! But if you look at Kharma and other working Filas of her type, you can see that there were probably Bloodhounds back in the dim, unknown days all those centuries ago when the Fila came to be

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-12-2007, 08:52 AM
BusterLove

i also heard that bloodhounds loose skin on the top of their heads was so when they put their head down to track it fell over their eyes, and so with little to no vision, it had to rely more on its nose. therefore becomign a better tracker. cananyone verify that?