Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 07:22 PM

My last input..I promise...but I really am rooting for you!! I like the idea of having that man state specific days when your dogs were barking...in the meantime you can be video taping them just sitting in your yard. When you go to the meeting, make him give those specific days...then when you show your video (make sure the date is on).....BAM..he looks like an idiot. Don't let him intimidate you. For all we know..maybe he is someone that complains alot, and the board will take that into consideration. Keep us posted. I'll be thinking of you.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Felurian

You may have the magic bullet there. Racism: one of the reasons I so dislike this kind of elitist development (sorry, I know there are a lot of great, open-minded, wonderful people who live in places like this, but face it, this kind of neighborhood originated to segregate by class, status, financial position and race out of the fear that the "wrong" people would move next door and spoil property values).

That may be the key to winning as well, but it will have to be handled with kid gloves if you use it. You really might want to seriously consider sitting down with your attorney to get some advice before the meeting. This could easily escalate into a civil rights suit. If it does, make sure you have an attorney with experience and a good track record from another city if at all possible. Or it might be as simple as finding out that this neighborhood kangaroo court doesn't really have the authority to force you to either abandon your pets or leave.

One thing to remember, though, chances are that whether you win or lose, your life in this neighborhood is going to be miserable and you will always have to worry about someone doing something horrible to your dogs. Antifreeze is usually the poison of choice for people like that.

Just so you know, I don't give this advice lightly. I've spent the past 15+ years as a paralegal/legal investigator.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Big Dog

this seems like a really crappy situation and i'm sorry you have to deal with this! we've gotten calls from neighbors before when my collie would be barking during a storm, but nothing cruel was said as it seems this one particular neighbor of yours has thrown quite a few mean comments at you. i don't have another other suggestions... i was definitely say that i would move before anybody would take my dog away from me! and i think it would be a great idea to check any contracts that may have been signed when you moved regarding how much control they actually have over you... sounds to me like that's what could make or break you.

best of luck to you and i hope it turns out for the best! keep us posted!
Old 06-29-2004, 04:45 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I'm lucky my neighbors and I get along and they are ok with dogs. I thought there would be a slight problem after I moved in because the man on the side of us is a total cat person. He puts his cat in a harness and follows her around outside, but I made friends fast.
I don't really have any experiance with the law or anything so all I can say is try what Renee is saying and good luck, I'm rooting for you.
I had a co-worker that had a simalar problem so she sent her two little dogs to stay with me for a week or so. How could her dogs be keeping the nieghbors up all night when they we at my house?! Turns out it was a couple dogs a few houses back...
Best of Luck, and do keep us posted. We're all rooting for ya

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Active Pup

some people are just mean. I lived next to a woman who didnt like my beagle. Now everyone knows that beagles are loud, but she is really not that loud. I swear. I think the woman who lived next to me just didnt like us and used the dog as a scapegoat. Also, sad to say, but some people just dont like dogs. I am sorry to hear about your problem. Wish you the best of luck.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Top Dog

Supervise your dogs at all times. There is no reason why a dog should be outside when its owner is not watching, PERIOD!
Old 07-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Dog Spoiler

Ummmmm ya....my meeting was on july 7 so that doesnt help me. can an admin close this discussion..thanks
Closed Thread