Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

Default dry or wet

I will always feed dry food with wet mixed in but are there people who feed an all wet diet? Is that sufficient? Are there benefits to feeding wet vs. dry foods? I know the price of wet would be more but I mean health wise.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

My neighbour feeds all wet.. It's a really icky food though, but fixed budget elderly lady and elderly dog..
Dog's teeth are more plaquey than most dogs I've met, but I've never met anyone else that I knew of that fed all wet.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Puppy Dog

I've never known anyone to do that either, or recommend doing it. I like to put water in with dry kibble. My smaller dog gets it down easier that way. It's like cereal.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Top Dog

Wet food is actually healthier and way easier on the kidneys than dry. Higher quality wet foods usually contain more meat as well compared to the dry versions of the same brand. I would feed wet exclusiveley if I could afford it.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Yes, I agree with showpug.

Also, it is a myth that wet food will cause plaque to build up on the teeth. Any low quality food will cause plaque and tartar build up. Plaque is caused from the sugars and starches in low quality foods. Dry food does not clean teeth. That is like saying that if we eat crackers, we will not have to brush our teeth.

A high quality wet food will not cause any more plaque buildup than a high quality kibble.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 03-30-2007, 01:50 AM
little liz

Quick question... What exactly is the purpose of dog mixers? They just seem to be full of cereal and all the stuff that most folks try to avoid and yet supposedly they make wet food more complete?????? is this just a gimmick to get dog owners to buy extra rubbishy stuff or is there some logic to using them. I usually feed dry food only (sometimes with a raw egg or something), but once a week or so I give wet food (or wet food with a handful of the usual dry stuff mixed in.

For pet portraits get in touch here
Old 03-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

thanks for the replies! I was just wondering, I knew all wet was best for cats because they don't drink enough and it was good for the kidneys and was wondering if it was also better for dogs (even though they do drink enough) just for different reasons.
Quote:
What exactly is the purpose of dog mixers?
Sorry I don't know what a dog mixer is, do you have a link to one I can look at?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:28 PM
little liz

Well here is a link to one kind of mixer. Dog mixers are available everywhere where I live! I googled 'dog mixer' and this was the first link I came to. And more and more

Old 03-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

well it seems they have more minerals (calcium) and vitamins (well most do anyways) but I don't get the whole "cereals" thing. What could be good about cereal in dog food, what exactly is cereal, just wheat type of stuff?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:40 AM
little liz

yes precisely! Hmmmm, now that you have pointed out the the calcium thing, It makes me wonder if they are trying to say that feeding wet food (essentially meat) means that a dog is lacking in the whole bone chewing thing??? Hard dry food being perhaps better for their teeth? I guess so long as your dog gets to chew on hard stuff and the wet food includes calcium (which I presume they would get from bones) .... no problem? Hey even that doesn't really make a lot of sense tee hee. Maybe someone else will know!