Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Another food recommendation thread.

You guys must really get sick of this, but I'm having trouble digesting all this information on my own. My dog is a year-old Lab who has been on Innova since about a month old and has always had pretty bad gas and not-so-solid poops. I figured it was time to try to find something that fits him better. I'm thinking either Canidae because it's cheap and I can buy it down the street, or TWO because everyone loves it and they'll deliver it to me.

What would you recommend for a finicky stomach? And if it was TWO, which one? They seem to sell about 50!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Chihuahua Power!

For some reason, all 3 of my chis had issues with Innova. They had horrible gas and soft stools. They normally have stomachs of steel... but for some reason, the Innova just didn't agree with their systems.

I had all 3 of them on Timberwolf Organics for about a year... I just recently switched 2 of them to Orijen. I've never had an issue with either one of these foods. I love TWO... it's a great food, and you can't beat the free shipping.

I've never tried Canidae... but I know that a lot of dogs who can't handle other foods have done great with it. The price is lower than TWO... but I really like TWO's ingredients better. I also look for higher protein, grain free (or low, low grain) probiotics, etc... which TWO offers.

For a formula.. I started mine off on Dakota Bison... my Rylie had/has sensitivities to chicken since she was a pup, and did great on this formula. I also like the nutrient dense lamb & apples formula.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 03-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Island dweller

Maybe try something with fewer ingredients. The less things in the food the less likely something will upset his tummy! Healthwise and California Natural (same makers as Innova) both come to mind.

Also, adding yogurt with live cultures each day (or a food with active cultures) may help balance out any problems. Probably want to avoid foods with a lot of different meat sources. Stick with common ones like chicken or lamb.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Big Dog

My dog has a pretty sensitive stomach. She had trouble with California Natural but is now doing great on Nature's Variety. I do a mixture of the dry kibble and the raw and so far she hasn't had any stomach issues (no gas and much better stools)
Old 03-29-2007, 09:23 PM
not so newby

How about something like Canidae Chicken and Rice? I have recently switched my dogs to it, one with a sensitive tummy, and they have all done great.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to give the Canidae a try and see how he takes it.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Harumph™©®

Tosca transitioned to Canidae very happily. And her weight is steady now. She eats less with the Canidae too.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

My two are on Canidae... they do really great on it, the ingredients are wonderful, and I can get a 40lb bag around here for $35!

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Big Dog

I suggest raw, but thats my suggestion for everything food related

However, as far as kibble have you looked into Orijen? Im not sure if its even available to you or not.
http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/orijen/
Old 03-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Top Dog

I fed regular Innova at one point as well and my dogs had semi-soft stools so I switched. Just didn't work for my dogs and they have iron guts!

Anyway, I think Canidae is a great choice. I think you will be amazed at the results. It's a great food as is TWO, but Canidae seems to work really well on dogs with soft stool and stomach issues.