Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Well,im sorry I just can't abort them,don't get mad,please.
However, all puppies will be nuetered and the mom will be spayed ASAP.
Once again thanks for the advice,We really aprreciate it.
Ok just make sure she does not get spayed until she weans the pups. So is she four weeks now or was that a while ago? She needs to be on puppy food what do you have her on now? And then there is the matter of a whelping box which I hope others will help you with. There are a few threads that show pics of them so if you do a search then you might find them. You can make one or but one that needs to be assembled but like I said make sure it has a bar or soem sort of ledge/barrier on the inside so that the pups can go under it and when the mom leans against the all she won't crush them.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Crazy woman!

Well,She's on adult wet food at the moment,sometimes with a bit of meat mixed in.Do I start giving her puppy formula now?
I knew what a whelping box was previously,but ive no idea how to construct one,I'll leave that to the boyfriend .
Old 03-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

I don't have alot of time right now but after skim reading these post's I just wanted to let you know that not all rescue's recommend or have emergency spay's at 4 weeks into a pregnancy. I would never consider it myself, nor would many rescue's I know.

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

You can use a child's plastic pool for a whelping box. They're light, and easy to keep clean. You will need paper - lots and lots of paper. Whelping puppies is messy - lots of fluid. I go to my newspaper publisher and purchase roll-ends so I don't have to deal with the ink.

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Well,She's on adult wet food at the moment,sometimes with a bit of meat mixed in.Do I start giving her puppy formula now?
Yes that would be best, it has more calories. She would have to be on it until she weans the pups. What brand do you feed or what brand will you feed if you switch to puppy food. There are lots of suggestions on food brands in the food section.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:41 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

You might be against abortion for animals, but the complications from a whelp can kill a mother. It happens more often than in humans, more problems can occur more rapidly without any notice.
Letting her have the litter is potentially killing her. And trust me, those puppies have no idea they are even real or living and she doesn't know they are either. Her changes in emotion are natural, not because she knows what's going on.
But if you're still against it no matter how much information is given, regardless of this dog's situation, then, I'm sorry you feel that way.

For the sake of the puppies and the mother, I hope this is an extremely small litter, and not the typical shepherd-sized litter they are notorious for having.

My Polyvore
Old 03-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Loves off-leash training!

Well, first of all - kudos to you for adopting this dog and for accepting this further responsibility.

While I, too, would encourage you to do a spay on her now it's pretty obvious that you won't do that. I do hope that the bitch doesn't run into problems during whelping. German shepherds can easily have 8-10 pups. If the bitch were to die during whelping, you will be stuck hand-raising these pups. I've done this, and it's HARD. We fed every two hours. It was not just a matter of feeding the pups .. then they had to be wiped to stimulate urination and defecation, then cleaned up and the box cleaned and all that. They had to be kept warm and dry. As they grew, the feedings spaced out a bit more but it got MUCH more messy. We were sleep-deprived for weeks. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone - and if you're working, it will definitely affect your work ability.

I really recommend that you do some google searches for "whelping puppies" or "dog pregnancy" as you can find some great articles explaining the entire procedure and what to do. I believe there's a post on building a whelping box at the top of this section, and I've found other articles online that describe various boxes. You need to stock up now on paper, towels, iodine, and various supplies. You can find more information on what you'll need with a search online.

You'll probably want to line up potential homes for at least 8 puppies. Keep in mind that many times people say "yes, I want one!" and then when the time comes they decide they can't take a pup. Finding responsible homes that can afford to take proper care of a puppy and who will make the dog part of their family and not just tie it outdoors can be tough too. Many people don't realize the commitment it takes with a shepherd. They need socialization and training and they shed 365 days a year. It's important that those who may want a puppy now understand that they're taking on a 12-14 year commitment.

Just one last thing about the abortion issue .. while I know that you are opposed to the concept, in all honesty it is more kind to the pups to not be born than to live a life of misery or a life being passed around. The majority of dogs do not find their "forever" home as pups. By making the choice to allow these pups to be born, you're accepting the responsibility for every bit of pain, discomfort, hunger, and sadness that these dogs will experience for the next 12-14 years. That's a huge responsibility. If you really think that you want to carry that burden (and the knowledge of that burden for the rest of your life) then allow these pups to be born with that full knowledge.

Good luck to you and good luck to the bitch -

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
just call me Nilly

You're definatley in a tough situation, and please know that the members of this forum are very knowledgeable and very helpful, and will be here to support you whatever comes of this (though some advice may not be easy to hear).

I too have to side with the "spay her" option. Please hear my reason why. Your dog may potentially have 10 or so pups. That's 10 or so HOMES. Homes that will not go to puppies or dogs already living in shelters, waiting. Dogs and puppies that are at risk of being killed because those homes aren't available. So which dogs should be saved? Those who aren't born yet, or those who are already out there waiting?

Is it fair to bring these puppies into the world and kill dogs already here?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

It hurt me terribly to abort a whelp once ............... but for the love of the breed and my female , I felt it best .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

I always find it weird when people try to anthropomorphize pets. I don't believe they form a lifetime bond with their young the second they are born (or in utero for that matter) like people. Your moral beliefs mean nothing to this dog.

I also think it is ludicrous to spend savings (assuming that is what a building society is) on a litter of mutts with no guaranteed future.

I guess you can look at it this way ... the pregnancy can be aborted now or their lives will be "aborted" at a shelter (after they have had a "chance to experience life" and shelter $$ goes toward the dog).

Last edited by happyhound; 03-29-2007 at 09:13 PM.