Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-08-2005, 04:41 PM
United States Marine Corp

Thank you for all the help ladies and gents! I've gotten some great information from you guys! About the discipline, I also have heard that, you must train the Akita by shouting and never by smacking or contact. Sounds a little bit hard to believe, that shouting can train the dog to fear you and show it that you are it's leader. My brother had a Doberman Pinscher, and it was his first dog and I believe he gave it a little smack with a newspaper when it would misbehave but now the dog is completely crazy. Once again thank you very much! If you guys would like, I'll put up some pictures of my pup when I get him.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Dogs rule humans drool

you must never hit a dog, it will just fear u after a bit, i wouldnt shout at the dog either, u use a deep voice on the dog when hes doing something wrong, if he gets hold of yr shoe in a deep voice NO. so when he done something good, its a happy voice oh wat a good boy, then the dog will then know when hes done wrong by the sound of yr voice.

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 05-08-2005, 04:53 PM
no touchy

If my dogs have been EXTREMELY bad they get a slap on the backend, but it's not hard. Just enough to let them know we mean business. Otherwise a strong, loud, "NO! BAD DOG!" works perfectly fine. If they've torn something up or made a mess (which rarely happens), we point at it and say, "What's this? NO! BAD DOG!" and they get a time out while we clean up.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Felurian

Shouting won't help at all. It just excites a dog more and they get confused. A quiet stern voice works much better. Mine thoroughly understand the concept of "dammit" especially when muttered under my breath

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Puppy Dog

Dogs respond really well to positive training techniques. I love using a clicker. The best training tool I have.

Yelling and hitting can make problems worse. Have your heard of NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free)?

http://www.ddfl.org/tips.htm

Just scroll down a bit.

http://www.clickertraining.com/home/

Just cause I love this website!

Okay, I don't know why the links are not working. Copy and paste into your browser.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Felurian

Oh, very important! Your dog doesn't obey you or respect you because it fears you - that's a terrible (and with a dog like an Akita, risky) tactic. Respect has nothing at all to do with fear, and everything to do with a bond built on love and trust.

Think about it. Could you respect someone who had to stoop so low as to try to use fear as a control mechanism?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-08-2005, 05:28 PM

That's how we train new recruits in the Marines, haha!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:34 PM

Also what kind of Vet visits should I be making. I really have no idea, and I'm totally new to this. I heard about booster shots, also I read about behavioral assessment tests and so on. Can you people inform me. I can't say thank you enough for helping me from the start everyone!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Hydro, I sent you a PM about possible trainers in your area!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro
That's how we train new recruits in the Marines, haha!
You'll find your Akita much more difficult than raw recruits, and not nearly as willing to take orders without a reason, lol! These are THINKING dogs.

As far as vet visits go, your breeder should tell you what boosters your pup will need and when. It's always a good idea to take your new pup in for your vet to look over fairly soon after you bring him home. Your vet should also appreciate it if you'll bring your pup in for little social visits periodically so he can get to know the vet, techs and others who will be handling him before any unpleasant things (like shots, temperature taking, etc.) take place so that he'll know and trust these people. They should play with him and pet him a bit and put him on the scales to get used to being handled. You shouldn't be charged for social visits; a good vet will appreciate your concern for the safety of the staff as an Akita is a big dog that is temperamentally not extremely tolerant of being handled by strangers. Truthfully, if the vet doesn't do this I'd look for another vet. Mine was THRILLED when I suggested it with my Filas, lol! He's one of the few who has actually heard of them and he'd worked with one in the past. He knows "the Look."

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian