Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-08-2005, 01:16 AM
United States Marine Corp

Default My New Japanese Akita

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'd like to introduce myself. My names Alex and I am in the United States Marines. I recently put a deposit on a puppy Akita who is 9 weeks old the day I will pick him up. I was looking for a website where I can discuss my new pet with other people. I have never owned a dog or any kind of pet before except a goldfish.

I am going to pick up my pup on Wednesday and I was wondering what other things I need. Such as dog food, leash, wee-pads (he'll be staying inside for his younger days), I guess a brush but he sheds twice a year, maybe toys? Anything you guys can recommend to me would be awesome and a lot of help!

I would love some contact info of anyone who may have owned or owns an Akita, whether it's a phone number, AIM, MSN, or an e-mail address! Thanks!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Don't encourage me..

Hello Alex and Pup and welcome!!!!!! Toys are a must!! A good toy is a Kong you can stuff them with things like peanut butter and freeze them, it keeps them entertained for hours trying to get the peanut butter out!! lol

A good food is Innova! It is the nearest thing to natural food! But there is a wealth of info in the dog food section!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 05-08-2005, 10:25 AM
woof!

I s japanese one?? cool!!!
I like a LOT more the japanese than the american, the great japanese dog.

I don't know why the AKC don't wan't them to recinize
Old 05-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

Congrats! I would stay away from the pads though. It only seems to confuse the dogs. YOu definately need to read up and get into some training groups eventually. The akitas I know are quite a challenge Good luck!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Puppy Dog

Getting a new member of the family is so exciting! Wow, you are getting a lot of dog for your first one! Once you get your new baby you may want to look into a puppy class. They are so much fun and you get to learn some training techniques and socialization.

Congrats!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Top Dog

Welcome to the site

Lucy

~ My Blog ~
Old 05-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Playful Husky Pup

My roomate i guess thats what i would call him has a 6 year old Japanese Akita named Buzz. Be prepared for a dog that is going to want to challenge you 100% of the time. Their not recommended for 1st time dog owners but i think you will be fine . Puppy years will be filled with tough house training and sharp needle like puppy teeth and lot of yips and barks and growls. Just be patient and all will be good. Alot of socialization is the key with a Akita the more new experiences you introduce your puppy too the more well adjusted dog you will have in the future that is no way threatening. Good luck I love Akitas .

He'll need to be brushed daily the older he gets no matter his shedding pattern he will shed all year long just not in large amounts. When they lose their winter coats is the worst. But grooming is key and baths get a good puppy shampoo or I use regular Baby Shampoo. He will definatly need toys the more toys the less he will chew on things you don't want him to . Puppy kongs are great but just about anything is great NO RAWHIDES though there horrible for dogs. A bed or crate if you don't want him in the bed with you are good. A baby gate or crate for when your not home and you don't want him getting hurt you will either want to put him in the crate or put him in a play pen of gated off puppy proof area of the house where its easy to clean up messes.

Just a thought training a puppy to go on puppy pads like you will be doing often makes the transition to real housetraining a problem in the future. Unless you have anouther reason other then hes's young it would be fine for him to start house training at a young age. I would also reccomend that when he is old enough to have him neutered it will mellow him out a bit and keep him from wondering.

Im a musher and own over 25 dogs all but 4 are racing/working dogs. So any other advice or questions i will be happy to answer I have alot of experience .

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie

Last edited by Love4Pits; 05-08-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Felurian

Welcome, Alex! I had a wonderful companion, Bear, a rescued German Shepherd/Akita mix for years. Undoubtedly one of the most intelligent creatures I've ever known - and one of the most gentlemanly. He became a certified animal therapist through the University of Tennessee and was a huge favorite with the kids at the runaway shelter and the women and children at the spouse abuse shelter we visited - especially after he ran two men off who were looking to drag an abused woman and her kids out of the shelter!

You'll really want to consider ditching the wee pad idea and training him to do his thing outside. He's going to grow quickly and so will his puddles. It's also much easier to teach them about outdoor toilet habits if you haven't already trained them to go inside.

He's going to shed more than twice a year, lol! Daily brushing will keep the shedding under control and he'll learn to enjoy it if it's an everyday treat.

The most important thing you can remember when raising a pup like this is that you must earn his respect. Never take it for granted and never, ever make the mistake of using fear as a shortcut to earning your dog's respect. An Akita won't forget and as he matures will lose his fear - and respect - for you. These are highly intelligent creatures - smarter than a lot of the people you'll meet, lol!

A valuable tool I've always used with my dogs to bond and establish our relationship is sharing my last bite of food with my dog(s). Only the last bite. Never, ever the first bite or while I am eating.

You'll need to socialize your pup well and early so he grows up understanding the difference between normal behaviours and threatening behaviours and how to have good manners out in public. It's incredibly rewarding to be able to take your dog with you into all sorts of social situations and have people marvel over what a well mannered and handsome creature he is - and an Akita with impeccable manners is just over the top!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-08-2005, 12:18 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

bitter apple, spray or gel..or both haha renee..we do last bite here too!
Old 05-08-2005, 12:25 PM
no touchy

Congratulations on your pup and welcome to the boards!! My neighbors have an Akita...I can't say their my favorite breed, but their gorgeous dogs.

I would stay away from pads. They kind of confuse the dog....just take him outside to go every hour or so. He should catch on pretty quickly. That's what we did with the girls and it worked very well .

For dog food, I highly recommend brands like Innova, Wellness, and Flint River Ranch. Stay away from brands like IAMS/Eukanuba and Pedigree.

My three dogs have nylon buckle collars and nylon leashes. We also have a large Flexi, rarely used though. And two leather collars for special days.

I really like slicker brushes. Great for loose hair.

My dogs' favorite toys are kongs and tennis balls. You can fill kongs with food and freeze them to keep your puppy busy while your gone. It'll occupy his mind and the puppy kongs are good for teething.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.