Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 05-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
sounds like a grand one! wild boar wow..i wonder what Vic would do if he saw one of those..the instinct is strong to freeze first..
That could be a very quick and gruesome death dealing with a wild boar! Wild boar are blindingly quick and agile - one of the most dangerous kinds of quarry to hunt . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-08-2005, 05:21 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

they sure did a job on Old Yeller! (victor need not worry..i won't even let him near a raccoon..cause they be hard on dogs too!) he wouldn't chase tho and i think that was the point..
Old 05-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Felurian

. . . "the point?" Smkie, you're too funny!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
he wouldn't chase tho and i think that was the point..
Yeah that was the point!! lol! I want a dog to "alert" Not seek and Destroy!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 05-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Felurian

A wild boar is a supremely aggressive animal - it will charge the dog . . . and is very likely to be quicker than the dog

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-08-2005, 08:59 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

whatwould be a good dog for her to train then?

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Felurian

You want a dog that isn't fragile and is fierce, but that has an instinct to be able to keep itself in one piece. There are quite a few breeds that have been used for hunting boar down through the ages. Filas are even used for boar as well as jaguar. The Wolfhounds were also used for boar hunting and there are many types of hunting molossers. The guardian breeds (molossers) will be more likely to understand that their job is to seek and keep the quarry at bay and not rush in. It's very important to get dogs from lines that are bred to the hunt - not show lines. The temperament and the abilities that are so important for survival are the very things that are bred down in the show lines.

Wild boar is often considered to be the most dangerous quarry in Europe, and in South America, where the jaguar is king, even the jaguar will think twice before putting pork on the menu!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-09-2005, 05:01 AM
Don't encourage me..

I will look into it!! My neighbour also has Doggo Argentino (sp?) And they are quite formidable dogs!! I only mentioned German Shortahired Pointers because that seems to be the dog of choice here!! Along with Englishe setters, and French Beagles (which are more like Fox hounds in my opinion!!) Some of the men even use Golden Retrievers!! I know very little about it at the moment and it wasn't a concrete decision!! I just like the look of Pointers too! And I want you to understand that I would never do anything to deliberatley harm my animals!!! I love them to death!! I would never put them willingly into a situation where thay could be harmed!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Felurian

Oh, Gustav, I know it would just kill you if something happened to a dog while out hunting like that. That's why I wanted to warn you about it. You might want to check out some of the different breeds at www.molosserdogs.com

I can spend hours there looking at all the beautiful dogs, lol!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Don't encourage me..

I will have a shufty!!
A woman just came to the door with a Dogue De Bordeaux and asked me if she was mine!! The lady knew I had a dog that was all! I said no, but she's soooo adorable I would take her in a second!! The woman laughed, and she said she would go up and ask at the vets if they knew who she belongs to!! Maybe someone up there has spoken to me!! lol!

Ah ha!! This is obviously what the French mean when they say Beagle! : http://www.molosserdogs.com/modules....ntent&tid=2930

Very interesting!! Because when I think of a Beagle I think English Beagle little stocky dog!!

Last edited by Gustav; 05-09-2005 at 09:05 AM.