Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Island dweller

LOL I can just see that!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

Here is how I'd fix jumping. (I did it with Rose and it worked like a charm!)

I first tried kneeing her in the chest. Didn't work. (I've also heard some bad things about the kneeing in the chest. It can make your dogs scared of strangers because 'when she just tries to say hi, the hurt her!') What I would do instead of kneeing her in the chest would be:

Have a leash on her when a visitor comes. Have her in a sit postistion. When the visitor comes in, keep her on all fours. The guests can pet her and reward her when she is sitting down. If she jumps, have the guests turn sideways and ignore her. She will soon get off because she isn't getting pet. As soon as she has four on the floor, praise her and give her a treat. She will soon learn that Jumping=being ignored and sitting=getting treats, hugs, and pats!!! I did that with Rose and it worked wonders. She doesn't jump anymore unless she wants to give me a kiss! lol
Old 01-15-2005, 05:16 PM
treehugging clicker freak

In addition to what Rose Girl posted heres my two cents

To train the fosters not to jump we go through a two step phase. Step one is get the dog to sit when we say, consistantly, no matter what. We have to teach them that anyway.
Step two is the 'off' command. Its pretty simple. First you teach/encourage the dog to jump on to something. This could be a couch, a platform, a box, anything. Once the dog is up say 'off' and make sure the dog gets off. This is usually done by saying off with a handsignal and tossing a treat to the floor, or snap the leash to the collar and give an encouraging pop to jump down. Once all four feet hit the ground you praise. Pretty easy. Soon the dog relizes that off=4 on the floor.
Twist it around. Have the dog put his two front feet on something and then say off. Do it until she gets it.

Then the first step comes back in, picking up on what Rose's Gal said. Make the dog sit before she jumps up. If she's already jumping on someone then you say off and remind her to sit.

Congrats on the baby
Let us know how the training goes, and what technique you decide to use and works

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 01-15-2005, 06:26 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Vic likes to dance too..maybe we should put them together..and let them swing
he can stand on his hind legs for an unbelievably long time
Old 01-15-2005, 06:28 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

The off command sounds like good advise.. we will start that tonight! Let you know how it goes. I have never ever had trouble with four on the floor like this guy!
Old 01-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Felurian

Oh, Smkie, I have visions! You'll have to illustrate them! As soon as I get some of these more recent photos processed I'll send you some by e-mail. We may have a children's book there, too. . .

Brattina's advice is always excellent. She has so much first hand experience with different types of dogs from all sorts of different backgrounds. Brattina could probably do something with Shiva the Incorrigible One.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-16-2005, 02:20 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Want to thank everybody...did the up on the chair and off thing...and backed it up with invite up on my lap to fill his needs for hugs...but only when invited...we are making progress. I should have been more attentive..shoving down and saying no repeatedly was only making him panicky that I didn't "want" him. He pretty much got it in a couple lessons. He learned sit,shake,down,stay,leave it, pick it up, all in one lesson. This was an emotional need for him. I think he saw it only as rejection. I never claim to know it all no matter how many years...I read in a book a few years back that yawning is a reaction to confusion. My friend Jim thought his dog was being smart@#$ when he told him to do something....after I told him what I read it all made sense, so did this, thanks again (from Victor too!) for teaching his mum something
Old 01-19-2005, 06:52 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Brattina's advice is always excellent. She has so much first hand experience with different types of dogs from all sorts of different backgrounds. Brattina could probably do something with Shiva the Incorrigible One.
Oh, stop. I do believe my head is swelling lol!!
but you're stuck with Shiva, because I can't offer any help there
Old 01-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Island dweller

Every time I read this thread title I imagine "dog jumping" like horse jumping. Or I picture dogs jumping over eachother. I'm odd. I know
Old 01-19-2005, 07:57 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

That 's vic's whole problem.When I first heard about flyball..I thought oh boy I found a sport he would adore, but it was a race and bored him to tears. Sometimes he just jumps for fun. I have seen him from the window. Now I am looking at Dock dogs...but they only jump off the dog during compition, nobody has a "dock" to practice that i have found. So maybe we will try jump rope. who knows.