Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Wookie Collie

Default Itchy in groin/underbelly area

Finnegan's been scratching and nibbling rather profusely in his groin and lower underbelly area for the past week or so. It's gotten progressively worse. I've scoured the skin in that area and it's healthy, free of blemishes, redness or any other visual issues. Beauty isn't itching at all.

He's fed Acana grainfree, I use mild detergent on his bedding, same stuff as I've always used. Nothing else has specifically changed in the household to cause this.

The only thing I've thought of as a possibility are seasonal allergies of some sort. Should I try a few days of Benadryl to see if it makes a difference? Any thoughts?

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

I would give the Benadryl a shot. You can also wipe down his belly with a warm wet washcloth when he comes in from outside to see if that helps.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 AM
overdogged

Steve had awful trouble with this for much of the summer, and the only thing I can attribute it to is seasonal allergies. The weather's changed and it's gone.

You can try Benadryl, but it often doesn't work with dogs. You could also try a hydrocortisone shampoo, which seemed to help Steve.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Steve had awful trouble with this for much of the summer, and the only thing I can attribute it to is seasonal allergies. The weather's changed and it's gone.

You can try Benadryl, but it often doesn't work with dogs. You could also try a hydrocortisone shampoo, which seemed to help Steve.
Just weird to me that seasonal allergies would happen in mid-October?

I can get him some hydrocortisone shampoo and give that a whirl.

RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

I don't know where you live, but here at least with our climate, we see a considerably large spike in allergy symptoms at this time a year.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Yep, October is a bad time for allergies -- says my dad, sister and Renegade.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

Most likely is environmental for sure, but thought I'd add I've read of at least five other dogs who have started itching on the new Acana formulations of their grain-frees. Just as an FYI if for some reason it doesn't stop. I do realize food allergies are a lot more rare, so it's more than likely environmental, but thought I'd add that.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Most likely is environmental for sure, but thought I'd add I've read of at least five other dogs who have started itching on the new Acana formulations of their grain-frees. Just as an FYI if for some reason it doesn't stop. I do realize food allergies are a lot more rare, so it's more than likely environmental, but thought I'd add that.
Perhaps, but this is his second bag of the new grain free and the issue just cropped up about a week ago.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:59 PM
orange iguanas.

Benadryl helps Juno a little but I know lots of dogs that it doesn't touch at all.... so I would try the Benadryl but don't be surprised if you don't notice a difference. I know my friend has had better luck with hydroxyzine but I'm pretty sure that's Rx only.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Benadryl helps Juno a little but I know lots of dogs that it doesn't touch at all.... so I would try the Benadryl but don't be surprised if you don't notice a difference. I know my friend has had better luck with hydroxyzine but I'm pretty sure that's Rx only.
Yeah. I'll take him to the vet if I have to... I gave him a half pill of Benadryl this morning and this evening to little effect. Bathed him with hydrocortisone shampoo and have seen a bit of improvement, but not much. Been putting Dr. Maggie's on him, but he licks it off. I'd hate to cone him. He just keeps scratching and scratching.