Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 AM
Wolfpack

I don't think that the WGS is an albinos.I know that albinos breeds have seriouse health problems, and are albinos all the way.I mean the nose is rose and the eyes are bright at color.And the WGS has the nose and the eyes black at color...
What about the white mini schnauzer?It isn't an albinos.My boss has one from Hungary (I think).He breeds all types of schnauzers (mini,standard and gigant) and the white mini one is actually very cute and normal.I can bet on my boss (he is a vet,by the way) that he and his wife ARE responsible breeders.
Well..what about mini white schnauzers?

Kiss Kiss
Nicco

Old 06-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Felurian

You're right, Nicco, all white dogs aren't albinos, and the white GSDs aren't albinos - just a recessive color gene. That recessive gene structure does seem to carry some other recessive and unhealthy and undesirable genetic codes along with it though. Those traits don't always manifest, but you have to be aware that the potential is there.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Top Dog

We were going to get one before we knew about them. They are a breed diformaty(sp?). NOT rare. They get sun burnt REALLY quickly. They can get blind early as well. You have to keep them away from the sun as much as possible. They are prone to cancer. Anyway, hope this helps
Old 08-21-2005, 01:00 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
Can you get them?
In Canada the white GSD's are consider to have a fault, their colour they don't recognise them as GSD's but they are called white shepherd dogs[WSD].
Old 08-21-2005, 02:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
Yeah I heard they suffer more health problems too.

Off-topic: Are GSD's suppose to stand like that? Or do you gotta train them to pose like that? My GSD never stood like that before... maybe when he goes to urinate though, lol.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Quigleyfied

whoa, lots of misconceptions about the white GSDs here!

yes, the color white is a disqualifying fault in the breed, but just because at some point it was decided it's undesirable - unlike in many other breeds, it's not linked to genetic issues that would result in "inferior" dogs.

max von stephanitz, the founder of the breed himself, decided in 1933 to remove white as a permitted color from the breed standard. this was about 20 years after the first purebred white GSD was born. some of the ancestor dogs to the GSD (before it actually became a breed) were also white.

the white ones were not held in high regard, since they were said to dilute desired coloring in offspring (e.g. no white marks), but for a little while they were at least accepted and registerable. i think this has more to do with diversity of the foundation stock than a liking for the white color tho. the first 15 years of the foundation breeding was only based on about 30 dogs, so people couldn't be all that picky.

of course (as with any unusual color of animal) there were people who preferred the white ones over the normal colored ones and started developing the white strain. it were mostly american and canadian breeders who bred for the white color, in europe (with exception of england) by the 1960s there were no white GSDs left.

in the 1970s, the "white GSDs" (as they were called in the US and canada) came back to europe, first to switzerland. since the color was banned from the breed standard, they could not be reintroduced as "white GSD", so they were called "american-canadian white shepherd" to prevent the two breeds from interbreeding ever again.

according to FCI (federation cynologique internationale, the world canine organization) regulation, the parent breed club in the country of origin has the sole right to set and change the breed standard, so suddenly this white GSD was an american/canadian breed germany had nothing to do with anymore. and since the AKC is not a member of the FCI, with the renaming of the white GSD to american-canadian white shepherd the chance of including it in the GSD breed, as a separate color variety, was lost.

since may 2003 the white shepherd is accepted as a new breed, "berger blanc suisse" (white swiss shepherd) by the FCI. in october 2004 one of the two german parent breed clubs was accepted as a member into the VDH, so these dogs are now officially recognized in germany.

acceptance of the old "white GSD" and the new "berger blanc suisse" varies in some countries tho, so things are still fairly complicated.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Mordy for clearing that up! Very interesting info on the White GSD's.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:08 AM
Whitedobelover

that white shepard has a pigment and it is not albino... albino means without pigment of hair, skin or eyes.... if you dog has any pigment whatsoever they ARE NOT albino... not sure if that helps
Old 08-25-2005, 04:36 AM
Top Dog

I have come in right at the end and havent read everything, so forgive me if I am repeating anything. When I have been out walking and have seen these *white GSDs* and have admired them, referring to them as above, I have been firmly put in my place with the owners telling me they are not GSDs, but SWISS White Shepherds! Is that for real?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

no, swiss white shepherds is a new name for them, they ARE white german shepherds.
part of the reason Max von stephanitz removed them from the breeding program was because they did not have a very good understanding of genetics. they thought that a white dog made it more likely for albino pups to be produced. he also states in his book that a white herding dog would be more difficult to distinguish from a distance from the white sheep he was herding, but that was in itself not enough reason to disqualify...since as was said above they only had limited breeding stock to choose from at the time. it was the mistaken belief that white dogs increased the odds for albinism and other genetic health defects that led them to remove white from the breeding program.
it has been proven that a white gsd has no increased risk for health defects other than higher risk of sun damage...any white dog has that risk. the rumors about white gsd being less healthy physically or mentally are all linked to the facts that #1: until the 50's good breeders did not breed them because a white bred to a black and tan IS more likely to produce the dilute colors such as blues and livers, or white puppies which were undesirable at the time. #2: like the gsd in general the white gsd has been very poorly bred by puppy mills and back yard breeders who know nothing about selecting breeding stock for health and temperament. the white gsd has in many regards been bred even more by byb's due to the fact that they can claim it is a rare color.
so yes you can get them, but you should search for a breeder as carefully as you would for any gsd breeder. make sure they can prove health and temperament tests, etc. and they should not cost any more than any other good gsd breeder.