Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Harley & Abby

White GSDs are really gorgeous, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to register them, since GSDs come in a number of colours anyway. When I went to Salzburg, Austria (about 2 years ago) I came across a lovely long-haired white German Shepherd named Borris! He camoflauged (sp?) very well with the snow! He was kept in a shop full of crystal ornaments!
Old 05-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

They can also have behavioral problems beyond what most GSDs tend to have. I would guess that this developed due to some irresponsible inbreeding, but it's true nonetheless.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Big Dog

I have also heard that white GSDs have much shakier temperaments, like CreatureTeacher said, that tends to happen when breeders selectively breed for a recessive trait, it brings all kinds of linked genes into the equation.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:15 AM
Top Dog

I will just say that every white GSD that I have ever known has had a weird temperment. Most are just not social beyond their family unit. I have seen a lot of fear agression in them. Just my observation....I'm sure they are not all like that.

Pam
Old 06-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

When "breeders" breed dogs away from the outlined, established standard, right there you have someone who is irresponsible. Now you add to it that an irresponsible person isn't likely to health test, temperament test or know what they're doing with pedigrees. This is what causes many dogs to be unhealthy, full of genetic and comformational defects, poor temperaments and so on. If you have a nice, healthy dog....great. But generally speaking, it's going to be speculative when you buy a dog who has been purposely or otherwise bred without regard to standard.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Big Mutts

The only white german shepard I've ever known is my mom's Angel. She doesn't tolerate anyone she doesn't see regularly. She's also deathly afraid of gunshots and storms. My mom bought her from a breeder b/c we had a wonderful dog growing up, Holly, who was mixed collie/german shepard and solid white. She knew she wouldn't be the same but thought it would be nice to have another dog as beautiflu as her. Angel is great with my 2 year old daughter but we don't trust her around people she doesn't know, ever.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Kelpiefied

I very nearly bought a white shepherd puppy a year ago. The breeder seemed very responsable, she had all the pups and both parents checked for hip scores. I can't vouch for their temperaments though, i have only trained one and he seemed the same as other GSD's.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

Back in the 50s people rescued WGR as they would be put down.....when they started breeding the white to white it was a mistake !!! They were genetically born with faults and why they would continue these faults is beyond me. I'm sure there are healthy pups out there, but why are breeders doing this ? And people buying them. They are beautiful dogs .............but !
Old 06-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

I have had several around me over the last 23 years since we moved here. There was one that lived to be about 15 and was healthy right to the end. None of them really had any more health problems or tempermant problems than a "regular" GSD had. The one that lived to be 15 was the barker of the two GSDs the neigbor's had, the "normal" one was the one that was brave enough to be aggressive to other dogs though. The white one just barked encouragemnt to the other one.

You have to remember, that years ago, Yellow Labs were culled as "defective", and it took a long time for most breeders to accept them. Why? Who knows, but some of the white GSD "defects", sound an awful lot like Yellow Lab "defects".

Breeding for looks is usually a mistake anyway..
Old 06-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

Don't you mean Chocolate Labs ??? Yellow and Black have been around and accepted for years .