Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Show Dog

Default My pup only eats once a day.

My 9 month old lab/terrier mix won't eat in the morning which is troublesome because I have to work and he is alone in his cage all day. All I could do is give him a couple of carrots in the morning.

I feed him when I come home at 5:00PM. So, is once a day feeding enough for him? I give him a cup of kibble mixed in with 5oz. of wet food. If he finishes, I put a little more in.

Should I try to feed him again just before bedtime?(10:00PM)
Old 03-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Top Dog

If he only wants to eat once a day, feed him all his food once a day. My family feeds once a day and our dogs all lived very long happy and healthy lives. I feed breakfast because it makes my husband feel better.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 AM

both my dogs only want to eat once a day, so I feed at 3:00. they started that routine at about age 6 months. I have tried to divide it thinking they'd feel better with a little something morning and evening, but they like it just once. and believe me, they KNOW when it's 3! lol if it's 10 after, Ham will come find me...and let me know it's time for supper!! when the weather turns to really hot, they sometimes don't even finish that one meal.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:17 AM
I run with scissors

Charlie is the same way and always has been, even when he was itty-bitty. He was never interested in food in the morning. I feed him at 5:30 when I get home from work and he's perfectly fine with it and very healthy. I do give him a milkbone or something in the morning. Sometimes he eats it, sometimes he doesn't.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Puppy Dog

I start feeding primarily once a day when my dogs are 6-8 months. Mostly because they get bait/treats throughout the day.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Show Dog

Thanks for the responses.

I guess what else concerns me is that my pup should be eating 2 cups of food a day according to what's on the bag of kibble so he is a little short of that. I do supplement with an egg or cottage cheese once in a while.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

I don't go by what's on the bag. The bag says 2 cups for my pup two and all she does is poop all day. I've cut it down to 1.5 and she is fine. I tend to think that the dog food companies suggest more than they need so that they eat more and you buy more.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:52 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I only feed once a day. I've tried twice a day, but she just doesn't enjoy eating in the morning. She's perfectly content with only one meal a day, and she usually gets treats/snacks earlier in the day anyway.