Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
lurking near the surface

yeah, i don't think i could handle the constant concern and supervision. we plan to get an acreage, and i would like to be able to let the dogs run in a large fenced area without having to be out there every single moment or keep them separated constantly.
thanks for the info and honesty, everyone. they are beautiful dogs, and in every other way i like what i read about them and think they are beautiful... but this would be too much of a concern for our lifestyle. we also have tons of friends with dogs. i know this one person who has a boxer who cannot handle being around any other dogs at all. so when a bunch of us want to take the dogs and kids for walks, she can't bring hers or we can't bring ours. we are super social and travel and go camping a lot. and, yeah, i just don't think it could work for us. it's sad, because they seem like such wonderful dogs and i would love to be a part of the help to prove the breed is worth saving. guess i will have to add them to the list of dogs we won't be considering..
Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Top Dog

Me, too, Grammy. I would probably never have an APBT or AmStaff. And there are a lot of other breeds I'd never have, too. But then again, I also said that I'd never have a dog smaller then the cat.

*stares at Pepe*

*looks at Lillian*

Oops.

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 03-22-2007, 02:24 PM
lurking near the surface

rose, i was anti-anklebiter for years. now i have sylvie... and now i want a chi!

i'm beginning to wonder how many dogs i will end up with ... we definately want a big dog in the next couple years. sheesh.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm All Ears

I was NOT going to EVER have toy dogs.....

well..... sometimes you can never predict where you'll end up.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

To those who will never own a Pit or an Amstaff...you will never no the most pure love a K9 nine has to offer, that is my most humble opinion and yes I am very bias. I have been around a of dogs and I have never seen a more devoted and emotionally tuned in breed. I just wish more "good" people like many of you would give them a chance. Just think of the abuse they take and yet are fantastic dogs.

On trusting a Pit Bull not to fight. I think 75% of it is how you raise them and socialize them. 25% is the genetics.

I have one female (Athena) who is the product of people breeding for fighting as she was rescued during a raid on a fighting ring in Freeport IL. She was a puppy in her mother's belly. She has been left a long with other Bullies, Herding breeds, Hunting breeds and one toy breed and at the age of 10 has yet to get into even one scrap. Sal my Amstaff was neutered just before his 6th birthday and has been left with the same groups as Athena with never any problems.

I trust mine not to fight, call me crazy but Athena is 10 and Sal is days from his 6th birthday and I think I can confidently say they are safe to leave with other dogs.

I think you have to know any dog you have regardless of breed. My two dogs are the most stable and trustworthy of my whole families dogs (many different breeds). It is difficult for us humans but we have to look at even dogs as individuals, generalization are dangerous.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
To those who will never own a Pit or an Amstaff...you will never no the most pure love a K9 nine has to offer, that is my most humble opinion and yes I am very bias. I have been around a of dogs and I have never seen a more devoted and emotionally tuned in breed.
Don't we all think that about our own breed?

To those of you who who will never have a Golden: You will never know the true meaning of the word "companionship". They live and breathe to love you.

And for those non-Chi people: They really are a large dog, forever trapped in a small body.

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 03-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Top Dog

Amstaff, I agree.

And I'm not really biased to be honest. Will I ever get another pitbull? First off it's illegal where I live, and secondly I just don't think the chances of getting a pitbull with a personality just likes Hades are likely, and nothing else would do.

So, I'm not biased. (Even though I do own a pitbull) They aren't my "favourite breed" per se.

And I have to agree that are incredibly emotionally dialed and loving creatures. He's the most cuddly dog I've ever met. Period. He ALWAYS wants to be close, snuggling, being hugged, whatever. If his skins' on mine, he's the happiest dog in the world
Old 03-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaqa View Post
yeah, i don't think i could handle the constant concern and supervision. we plan to get an acreage, and i would like to be able to let the dogs run in a large fenced area without having to be out there every single moment or keep them separated constantly.
thanks for the info and honesty, everyone. they are beautiful dogs, and in every other way i like what i read about them and think they are beautiful... but this would be too much of a concern for our lifestyle. we also have tons of friends with dogs. i know this one person who has a boxer who cannot handle being around any other dogs at all. so when a bunch of us want to take the dogs and kids for walks, she can't bring hers or we can't bring ours. we are super social and travel and go camping a lot. and, yeah, i just don't think it could work for us. it's sad, because they seem like such wonderful dogs and i would love to be a part of the help to prove the breed is worth saving. guess i will have to add them to the list of dogs we won't be considering..

Again I would like to bring the fact up that I know of 3 dogs who were killed in the last 6 months by small breed dogs. All dogs should be supervised when together, especially dogs who dont know eachother. It's not just pits.

ETA-I just read your post more closely, I would not suggest leaving any small breed dog alone with a large breed dog. Just my personal thing, but when I foster small dogs, I NEVER let them play with my big dogs. It's too risky. Yes, some big dogs will get along with small dogs, but even in play it could get too rough and result in large medical bills. This is just my opinion, I am sure people on the board have a large dog and small dogs and leave them alone together but I just wouldnt recommend it.

Last edited by adoptashelterpettoday; 03-23-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefern View Post
Don't we all think that about our own breed?

To those of you who who will never have a Golden: You will never know the true meaning of the word "companionship". They live and breathe to love you.

And for those non-Chi people: They really are a large dog, forever trapped in a small body.

-Rosefern
Its a Bully thing....you just wouldn't understand

also I have been around a lot of other breeds. One breed I was very close to...I owned three; They love you and would die for you but they don't have this super craving to be with humans... at least not in my experience. The human bond of a Pit is hard to explain and even harder to beat.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
Its a Bully thing....you just wouldn't understand

also I have been around a lot of other breeds. One breed I was very close to...I owned three; They love you and would die for you but they don't have this super craving to be with humans... at least not in my experience. The human bond of a Pit is hard to explain and even harder to beat.
I agree Amstaffer. I've owned a few different breeds before, but once I had APBT's and experienced their bonding with humans, I've yet to find another breed that comes close. Sure, they can be dog aggressive, ( and not all are, as you know ) but they were bred for many many years to accept humans instead of dogs as their pack and it's created a unique dedication and devotion that I think compares to none.

I wouldn't trade the small hassles of dedication to supervision for the world. It's more than worth it in my eyes.

Think about it this way, would owners of the APBT band together so strongly to fight for their rights to own this breed, and put up with harassment and discrimination like they do, if the dogs were not so special. It would be so much easier to change breeds. But I can't, and I can't explain to others why. But once you've experienced them, it all becomes crystal clear LOL.

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw