Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

As a breeder I registered the litters and the new owners did likewise with the pup. This does keep track of the # of breeds. Also, AKC can keep track of those who breed their dams to death. All my pups were registered with kennel name, Hawthorn Hill. This way the records are to help any cross breeding. My pedigrees went back many years so I could always keep track of different lines. It's sorta like a safe guard to both sides.When buying a pup, asked to see the pedigree and check to make sure there's no close breeding.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:13 AM

I didn't bother with the registration, either. Seemed like a waste..Ham is neutered, not gonna show him. I really didn't care if I had the 'papers'....I loved his parents which is why I wanted him. Both are healthy, with beautiful personalities...intelligent dogs. That's all I cared about.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:19 AM

oops...forgot to add that I received all family history information from the breeder, health certification and she encouraged me to speak directly to the vet, so I had his number. I also never plan to sell him..so AKC meant nothing to me personally.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Rusty but Trusty

I think we will register her with the AKC just so they will have her on file or whatever. I know she won't be bred or shown though. There is no way we would have the time, energy, or money to raise puppies. Plus we don't want a show dog, we just want a pet. I don't think running to show after show would be the life that I would want to lead.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Ckc

Here in Canada is is illegal for a breeder to sell a purebred dog without being registered. And you should never have to pay extra for the pup to be registered. If I were buying a purebred I would insist on papers (for pedigree purposes) and to see the health clearences on offa. Too many health issues to watch out for. Plus registering a dog dicourages back yard breeders. Just my .02.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Puppy Dog

Can you edit here?? Instead of offa I meant ofa.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:32 PM
no touchy

You can register with the AKC if your dog is a purebred and meets the standard. May is a purebred Lab and meets the standard, just don't know how to get her papers. Doesn't matter anyways, though. She's my baby no matter what. Don't need papers to prove it.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Rusty but Trusty

that's the same way I think. I didn't care about registering her because she'll still be the same dog no matter what. Papers don't make a better dog.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Papers don't make a better dog.
No, but they do help prevent back yard breeders.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

Unless you get papers from the breeder when they advertize AKC puppies it's a red flag. Whether you register or not, the litter should be registered. When a litter is registered the breeder receives a paper for each puppy. AKC asks to report any pup that died . I respect their helping to prevent back yard breeding. I breeder has many weeks to send in their litter papers.....yes, it costs the breeder and if they said they don't have them or haven't gotten them back....they don't care ! Don't buy!!!!