Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default why do you register with the AKC

I was just wondering why people register with the AKC. I don't plan on breeding my puppy EVER, but she came with papers and my husband wants me to register her. What is the point and is it really neccasary? I thought it was only if you were going to show your dog, or breed. I don't really see the use in us registering our puppy if we're neither showing or breeding (she's getting spayed).
Old 05-06-2005, 11:38 PM
<--My 2 angels Odo & Odie

Odo and Odie had papers too and my son registered odie at first. I never regestered Odo, as i never cared about the papers. Yes the only reason i can think of to regester them is if you are going to breed or show. And i think you have to do it every year or so. I did hear that if you don't send in your regesistration your animal is put on the deceased list. Don't really know just heard that.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:47 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

You only have to do it once. like a birth certificate
Old 05-07-2005, 01:56 AM
Top Dog

Yes, it's for breeding and showing or selling purposes. So, I commend you for not registering if you're not going to breed/show/sell your baby. And I especially commend you for spaying! The papers really mean nothing.
Anyone could have a really badly breeded dog that has "papers"... but who cares!?
Old 05-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Top Dog

Some people will buy AKC paper dogs just because they want to be assured that the dog their buying is full bred. I bought TOki without papers because it was way cheaper and he turned out better than other yorkies that I've seen.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Dogs rule humans drool

they can be registered as well, so then the akc will know the amount of breeds thier is in america

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 05-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Love my pets

I registered Max because I was curious to see his family tree. I was able to find pics of a lot of his relatives which was neat because I wanted to see if he looked like any of them.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Rusty but Trusty

I haven't gotten her papers yet, they are in the mail. I guess there was a mistake on them so I should get them in like a week. The guy said that he would mail them to us or give them to my husband. For Labs how would I know if the breeder that we went to is a good breeder or not? I didn't see paperwork on the parents but when I called to speak to him I asked about hip dysplasia and he said both parents were tested for it and also for blindness. He also seemed to know a lot about the puppies, and they're parents, and offered to take me up to see the father, if I wanted to see him. She seemed in good condition when we got her, and the vet checked her out and said she was healthy.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry
I haven't gotten her papers yet, they are in the mail. I guess there was a mistake on them so I should get them in like a week. The guy said that he would mail them to us or give them to my husband. For Labs how would I know if the breeder that we went to is a good breeder or not? I didn't see paperwork on the parents but when I called to speak to him I asked about hip dysplasia and he said both parents were tested for it and also for blindness. He also seemed to know a lot about the puppies, and they're parents, and offered to take me up to see the father, if I wanted to see him. She seemed in good condition when we got her, and the vet checked her out and said she was healthy.
Your breeder sounds on the up and up. Those should always be the first two questions asked -- if both parents' hips and eyes are certified.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Rusty but Trusty

good I got a little worried that perhaps he didn't do something right