Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Question American and English labradors???

Ok, just when I think I know everything about Labs I find that there are two different types. Can you tell which type they are when they are young puppies? What are the differences of the two different types, if any? I mean is one type more calm than the other? Hmmm...I guess I have more researching to do. I haven't seen the mother or the father of my puppy but my husband has seen the mother. I showed him pictures of the two types and he said he couldn't tell because she was still carrying puppy weight (and plus she was a little overweight to begin with the breeder said).
Old 05-07-2005, 03:31 AM
Top Dog

I really think it depends on the dog's personality and how their parents are.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:29 AM
Active Pup

I didn't know there was 2 types of Labrador...other than 'working' and 'show' types the same as any other gundog breed. Working Labs & Show Labs can look very different, and I prefer the look of a working-type dog - stockier & slimmer. Make sure the breeder of your pup has had all necessary health tests done - you should see Hip Score Certificates for mum AND dad, and bear in mind that Labs are one of the most overbred breeds in the world. There are a lot of unscrupulous breeders out there.

Good luck, Ems
Old 05-07-2005, 10:07 AM
no touchy

Three types of Labrador Retrievers exist. There's the English type, a square-faced, thick, heavy-set dog with a distinct otter tail; the American bench type, a taller, thinner-bodied dog with a longer face; and the field trial type, a dog bred for working ability alone that can be either type, or somewhere in-between.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Rusty but Trusty

It is just TOO confusing, all the different types of Labs! Can you tell which type they are when they are puppies or do you have to wait until they are grown? Does it even matter what type they are? I was just curious because I heard that English are calmer than the American.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:50 AM
no touchy

I'm not sure, but it's probably easier to tell their "type" when they're older.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Rusty but Trusty

yeah you're probably right. I didn't see the mother or father, maybe I should call and ask my husband's friend.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Save a life: Rescue

I have tried to find info on this, too. A two friends of my dad bought a lab pup from the same litter. They were told one was an English Labrador and the other was the Field variety...
Love and Spoil Your Pet
Old 05-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I didn't care to ask what she was because I didn't realize there were different types of labs. Oh well, I can always ask the breeder. I think she's the American just because she does look like she is going to be taller and thinner. I guess I'll have to wait until she starts to grow up though (impatient sigh).
Old 05-10-2005, 10:24 PM
MIiA

This is the limited bit I know about Labradors:

Basically smaller versions of the nfld (hence the name labrador), also called lesser St. John's dog or something like that.

Were taken to UK and bred with retrievers - hence labrador retriever. And that's pretty much the Lab's we've come to know and love.

As to the advent of the NFLD/original labradors, there's only speculation about how they came to being - and there's nothing definate. One theory is they're descendants (in part) of the now extinct black wolf (Newfoundlands version of the grey wolf) - however, you'll only ever find theories on that.

As I'm recalling this from reading I did a fair while ago, I'll gladly stand corrected should I be off .

Andrew