Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

View Poll Results: how to choose pics...
get as many in as possible so no one is left out 13 43.33%
choose the best quality ones 14 46.67%
other 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

24 month calendar would allow for more photos and not jeopardize the quality.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I thought about a 24 month calendar after I read Andrews post.

Good and bad points.... It would fit more dogs, but then we wouldn't give a chance to do a 2nd calendar the year after... for current members then?

I do really like the idea of the 13 month calendar and a collage on front and/or in the middle... I think the beginning of July for photo deadline would give plenty of time to get photos in.... then we would have to do voting done by August.... Depending on how many photos we get, they might all fit on collages for Dec 2007... and a middle pull out poster? Then the winners could each get a month? Maybe a couple winners per month like already talked about.... Hmmmmm
Old 03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Island dweller

Yeah. 24-month would cost more too and since we don't know how it's going to go maybe we can think about that for the next year... ?

Now I know this isn't going to be popular but what about doing the pages (except cover and insert) in black and white? This will save a LOT of money but we will definitely have to go with quality images as weaker ones won't hold their own on black and white.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I personally love black and white photos.... would it still be glossy? Like they would use on color pages? I understand the whole calendar would be B&W not just the photos...well except for the cover and insert....

Doesn't matter to me.... Opinions?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Island dweller

From what I know about printing it wouldn't be glossy. The cover would be. And the insert. But the months would probably just be a high quality paper.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:47 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Black and white would be great.

What about a 16 month calendar?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Just a thought...

We could do one picture as the whole background and then do other pics inset, as Andrew suggested.

Looking at the photos now (I know we'll get more in, but go with it) there are a few water photos. Chose one as the background and then all of the other water photos could be inset.

There are some action/agility shots, take one as the background and do others of the same inset.

We can do one of smiles.. one of goofy faces.. one of sleepy pics/faces.. the options are nearly endless.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Island dweller

That would be cool. We can even have them done kind of as a photo reel. Keyodie does that I think.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:56 PM
MIiA

Thanks, Saje. I'm honored.

Just a couple of thoughts:

-I'd suggest sticking with a 13 or 14 month calender to keep cost down and to allow for new photography for the following year.

-As for colour vs. b&w, it might be better to see what you have to work with closer to printing time and make a final decision then. B&W may be good with a full page shot, but smaller insets/collages might get lost if there's no colour to help them stand out.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Felurian

Let me check with Leslie about how she does her magazine. The glossy texture is from printing on a hard-coated stock, so the price may not be all that prohibitive according to what kind of printing house is employed. The method for using the coated stock just requires a press with a specific type of heat lamp as the printed pages come off the line. A printer who does a lot of calendars and photography heavy printing jobs will be using that sort of set-up anyway.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian